Recommend me a DAC please
Sep 13, 2006 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

narticus

100+ Head-Fier
I know it's asked all the time around here, but I figure I'd give it a shot as well. I have absolutely no experience with DACs, so any opinions would be appreciated.

My current setup:
Chaintech AV-710 Soundcard
Marantz CC-65SE five disc changer
Marantz Integrated Amp PM-68
KEF Q55 Speakers (Bi Wired)

I'm looking to spend $200 - $300 on a DAC. If there's a $400 DAC that sounds significantly better than any in the 200-300 range, I would probably spring for that instead.

I know of the Zhalou and the Pacific Valve DACs, and they look right around my price range, so if any of those models seem appropriate, I'd like to know.

And, if anyone has any experience with any of the equipment I have (particularly the speakers), and can recommend a suitable DAC for them, I'd be very grateful.

If it matters much, I listen to alot of guitar rock, drone, folk, and straight up noise. Basically, I'm not looking for a DAC that would cater to the techno/r&b/hip hop side of the spectrum. I'm into subtleties, clarity, and atmosphere.

Sep 14, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #2 of 58
I'm not sure if you can find a good dac for 400 dollars. Unless you're looking for used gear, a good dac will set you back almost a grand. I would recommend Musical Fidelity's X-DAC. It retails for 1000 but currently you can get a demo at musicdirect.com for 475. Really really really good deal. If you don't pick it up soon, I might. If you want amazing clarity and precision with smooth presentation, the x-dac is for you. Don't get the benchmark. It'll make your ears bleed. Hope this helps. Peace.

Sep 14, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan
I'm not sure if you can find a good dac for 400 dollars. Unless you're looking for used gear, a good dac will set you back almost a grand. I would recommend Musical Fidelity's X-DAC. It retails for 1000 but currently you can get a demo at musicdirect.com for 475. Really really really good deal. If you don't pick it up soon, I might. If you want amazing clarity and precision with smooth presentation, the x-dac is for you. Don't get the benchmark. It'll make your ears bleed. Hope this helps. Peace.

Shakespear demands your undivided attention and makes you think, which is also quite fatiquing . There's a difference between the fatigue that results from listening to the DAC1 and the fatique you get from listening to lesser digital gear. With the Dac1 ii's the surgical precision and depth of clarity that places demands on your attention that is fatiquing. Some people prefer to walk around in a thoughtless stupor and treat music like pretty backround wallpaper for thier lives. They choose gear that homogenizes everthing in an attempt to make it all pretty thus destroying the fundament essence and uniqueness of music in the process. There is a reason the Dac1 is used by so many recording proffesionals and it's not because it makes their ears bleed.

Sep 14, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by freeflier
Shakespear demands your undivided attention and makes you think, which is also quite fatiquing . There's a difference between the fatigue that results from listening to the DAC1 and the fatique you get from listening to lesser digital gear. With the Dac1 ii's the surgical precision and depth of clarity that places demands on your attention that is fatiquing. Some people prefer to walk around in a thoughtless stupor and treat music like pretty backround wallpaper for thier lives. They choose gear that homogenizes everthing in an attempt to make it all pretty thus destroying the fundament essence and uniqueness of music in the process. There is a reason the Dac1 is used by so many recording proffesionals and it's not because it makes their ears bleed.

Oh boy, post #2 and you're already letting us know that you're a Superior Being. I guess we all should buy what you like...

Sep 14, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #9 of 58
Ok, noobie question:

My Marantz amp doesn't have any digital in. My soundcard has SPDIF out. What kind of interconnects would I need if I were to get the MicoDAC?

Also, how do you supply it with power? can't you just plug it into an outlet?

Sep 14, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #11 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo
Look at some CS4892 based DACs, they will fall in your price range and all sound great. Otherwise, you have to start shelling out some serious money!

Links? I'm really completely new to the DAC realm.

The MicoDAC doesn't look like it's for me. I'm pretty sure I need a DAC with RCA out, so I can feed it into my amp. Am I correct in assuming so?

Sep 14, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #12 of 58
Look into the Citypulse DAC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan
I'm not sure if you can find a good dac for 400 dollars. Unless you're looking for used gear, a good dac will set you back almost a grand.

That may have been true in the past, but there are lots of great options now for the price range the OP is asking for.

Sep 14, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #13 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenja
Look into the Citypulse DAC.

That may have been true in the past, but there are lots of great options now for the price range the OP is asking for.

I just found out about the Citypulse moments ago. I'm still unsure what types of interconnects I will need. Based on my setup, can anyone guide me in the right direction? I'm assuming I need a cable (not sure what kind) that runs from the SPDIF on my soundcard into the DAC. Then, I run another cable from the DAC into my amp? What would I need for that, RCA cables?

Sep 14, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #15 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by russdog
Oh boy, post #2 and you're already letting us know that you're a Superior Being. I guess we all should buy what you like...

Hit a nerve did I.
You're not someone who walks around in a supor are you?

I'm not the one that proclaimed that the Dac1 will "make your ears bleed". Hmmm, no one around hear tells other people what is they think is good right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back