Recommend me a cheep preamp :)
Apr 4, 2003 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

eighteen_psi

100+ Head-Fier
For my sat/sub setup I currently have as follows:

Onkyo SE-U55 USB Sound as my source
Onkyo A-5 Integrated Amp for power
ALR/Jordan Entry-S (4" aluminum cone, 1" silkdome) Mains
M&K V-2B Subwoofer (125W 12", modified for 12db dynamic headroom and servo control).

I have the outputs of the SE-U55 y-ed to get signal to both the A-5 and my M&K V-2B subwoofer...it works but is not without problems. With the sub connected I have to run the A-5 a lot higher to get the same level of output in my mains which adds noise yadda yadda.

I've also come to the realization that, as cool as vintage gear is, no remote is a pain in the ass sometimes. I'd also like to integrate my headphone amp (the soon to be mine META42) into the system as well. I currently have to swtich interconnects which is also a pain. The A-5 has the ability to separate the pre and power-amp stages so I'd like to use it as a power amp and get a remote preamp with inputs and outputs to handle said system without y-ing a dozen different things to get the desired effect.

Price wise, I'd like to not spend a ton..this is a budget system to don't tell me to get a new krell or something. Preferably an ebay bargain type deal but if nothing cheep fits, perhaps I'll start saving. It might help to know that I don't need a subwoofer specific output, though it would be cool. The M&K has its crossover taken care of and the ALR/Jordans have a decent roll off on their own at the power level I drive them at (40W per side).

Apr 4, 2003 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 16
A gilmore amp will be a great choice.
It can act as a great preamp and also a good headphone amp.
It will cost you around 450
wink.gif

Apr 4, 2003 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 16
I'd consider neither of those cheep though 450 is closer than 700
tongue.gif
Aye...

Apr 4, 2003 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 16
Not a whole lot of choices if you want a remote. The true preamp bargains are non-remote- Mod Squad, Superphon, and the NAD 1020. All can be found for around $200. The Superphon and NAD also have OK phono stages in case you ever want to go analog. I've seen Mod Squad Duets for as little as 250 on audiogon, and that has a phono stage as well.

Both Creek and Adcom have fairly inexpensive preamps with remotes- they'll be fine for your current application, but won't allow you to go too far if you start to upgrade your source and amp. The Creek OBH-12 is a little tiny preamp that gives you remote volume and two inputs, and a tape loop (which could be a third input). Creek also makes a remote volume control- it's a passive design, so you may want to get one of the above preamps and add this as a remote volume control. It's supposed to be decent, but I haven't heard for myself.

Apr 4, 2003 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 16
The NAD C160 is a very good preamp with a remote. It's on the warm side of neutral, which would probably be a good match with the SE-U55.

You can also try building your own remote-controlled preamp if you're into DIY; Percy Audio, Velleman, and an Indian company I forget right now all sell PCBs for this kind of project.

Apr 4, 2003 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 16
I can do electronics work but I'm by no means an expert and I'd prefer to just grab something if I can.

Thanks for the input on the cheeper items. Its funny, I'd pick up another A-5 or an A-7 of similar vintange and use one as a preamp but I need multiple outputs and what not so I don't have to y. Never an easy answer I suppose..at least not one I can afford.

Apr 5, 2003 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 16
The Creek OBH-12 is probraly the cheapest way to obtain a remote pre-amp. You can find one on Audiogon for around $200. I have used one before and they do not sound too bad. Make sure you do not have real heavy ICs however because the additional weight will pull or tip the little thing right off your shelf or stand.

Apr 6, 2003 at 5:33 AM Post #11 of 16
Anything by counterpoint or precision fidelity

If you want to use headphones with it, go for an ASL HA-01. If you do this, you could also afford a nice pair of wave-8's and have a rad speaker setup too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back