Recommend me a car
Jun 16, 2011 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

cifani090

Headphoneus Supremus
Well this will be my very first car... I was going for a 2008 Avenger, but the insurance is killer over here. So i am stuck between any car before 2003. I need 4WD, or FWD. Under $7,000, under 125,000 miles and something that cool lol. I was looking at a 1998 5.9 Jeep, or the very hard to find 1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer in blue. I dont really want a Jeep, because everyone has one, but its kinda the best thing for the money. I was looking at a 2003 3 Series BMW, but their somewhat hard to find for a good price. I do what good gas milage, but those cars are ugly. I know that beauty is in the beholder, so throw that you have at me.
beerchug.gif

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #4 of 77
Subaru all the way. You won't get great mileage but not terrible either. These vehicles last forever and if you do any winter driving they are amazing in the snow and ice.

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #5 of 77
^ I agree.

That should handle any hostages, and luggage perfectly.

On a serious note scratch the BMW simply because repairs and other things are going to cost you.

My first car was a 1999 Cavalier LS, saved me tons of gas but then I wanted to race. I then brought a mustang. 

First car - Cobalt. 

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #6 of 77
Quote:
^ I agree.

That should handle any hostages, and luggage perfectly.

On a serious note scratch the BMW simply because repairs and other things are going to cost you.

My first car was a 1999 Cavalier LS, saved me tons of gas but then I wanted to race. I then brought a mustang. 

First car - Cobalt. 

^ what model mustang confi?

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #8 of 77
If you will have to deal with snow, a well-maintained Subaru will be the best first car. A properly maintained Subaru should give you 250,000 miles of service easily. Note though that I am biased -- I had an '08 STi that is now modified by the new owner, and recently bought a '99 Forester for my dad. I also helped out a friend buy a 2010 WRX and later on a 2011 Impreza Outback Sport.

The older 2.2 subaru engine is practically bullet-proof, but slower than the 2.5's. A few unlucky pre-2003 Subaru's with the 2.5 engine have had headgasket issues -- luckily the internets have the info that you need to check for before purchasing.

If there is no snow to deal with, used Honda's and Scion's are almost always a good idea. Scion tC's are all over the place, you just need to find one that is not modified and/or abused with teenage street-racing.

While my 2001 Audi A4 2.8 5MT Quattro that I bought used last year, has been problem-free, I will still recommend that you avoid german cars outside of warranty. Things break, and that's why used prices are very attractive. Parts are getting cheaper for german cars, but labor is a killer. They are only worth it if you can do the work yourself, or know of a trusty mechanic that charges very little in labor.

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #9 of 77
Don't know anything about Subaru.

Another good car I've had a chance of owning for a while is a Honda.

I've always heard good things about Honda's

I wonder how much the repairs run you on Subaru and such.

Jun 17, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #10 of 77
My first car was a Honda (a 96 Civic).  Drove that for 6 years until I bought the WRX in 2002.  Both were/are reliable cars, though I had to replace the clutch once in the Civic.  The Civic aged less gracefully than the Subaru - I experienced more creaks and rattles in that car, and the trim and plastic pieces wore out faster.  Aside from a couple of minor recalls, WRX has been bullet-proof.

Jun 17, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #11 of 77

Quote:
My first car was a Honda (a 96 Civic).  Drove that for 6 years until I bought the WRX in 2002.  Both were/are reliable cars, though I had to replace the clutch once in the Civic.  The Civic aged less gracefully than the Subaru - I experienced more creaks and rattles in that car, and the trim and plastic pieces wore out faster.  Aside from a couple of minor recalls, WRX has been bullet-proof.

Interesting I'm look for an around the town car I'll have to think about this.

I usually use a company car.

Jun 17, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #12 of 77
Unless you get an automatic Subaru, it's not much of an around-the-town car. Gas mileage is blah with city driving -- that's the trade-off of full-time AWD. Exception would be the newer models with CVT. The upcoming 2012 Impreza with an NA 2.0 flat-four and CVT is rated at 27/36mpg city/highway
eek.gif

Quote:
Interesting I'm look for an around the town car I'll have to think about this.

I usually use a company car.

My first three cars were Honda's.
'89 Accord - bought that for my sister. 22 years old and still running to this day - can't say that about a lot of cars
'93 Civic hatchback - Cheap car on gas and insurance, and you'd be suprised how much stuff you can fit inside. Unfortunately, that one developed headgasket problems later on after I passed it to my brother.
'07 Civic Si Sedan - My first brand-new car. The high-revving torque-less K20Z3 engine was fun to drive, and the shifter was sublime minus the random 3rd gear crunch. My last road trip with the Si Sedan was a San Francisco to LA trip and back, where it averaged an amazing 40mpg due to the long highway jaunts.  Replaced by a '08 STi shortly after I got hooked into snowboarding.

I also have a 2010 Honda Fit on lease -- now this is a good around-the-town car. Comfy ride and good gas mileage wherever you go, just don't expect any performance out of that tiny little 1.5L SOHC engine hahaha!

Jun 17, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #13 of 77

Quote:
Unless you get an automatic Subaru, it's not much of an around-the-town car. Gas mileage is blah with city driving -- that's the trade-off of full-time AWD. Exception would be the newer models with CVT. The upcoming 2012 Impreza with an NA 2.0 flat-four and CVT is rated at 27/36mpg city/highway
eek.gif

My first two cars were Honda's. The '93 Civic hatchback was pretty good for me. Cheap car on gas and insurance, and you'd be suprised how much stuff you can fit inside. Unfortunately, that one developed headgasket problems later on after I passed it to my brother. The '07 Civic Si Sedan I had was a great car. The high-revving torque-less K20Z3 engine was fun to drive, and the shifter was sublime minus the random 3rd gear crunch. My last road trip with the Si Sedan was a San Francisco to LA trip and back, where it averaged an amazing 40mpg due to the long highway jaunts.

I also have a 2010 Honda Fit on lease -- now this is a good around-the-town car. Comfy ride and good gas mileage wherever you go, just don't expect any performance out of that tiny little 1.5L SOHC engine hahaha!

I'll pass if it where Honda it would be Accord none of the Honda's i've been checking out have above average gas mileage.

Or insight.

Actually I would think manual would save more gas. Out of the cars I've drove or owned manual seems to be a we bit more gas saving.

Plus more power I hate automatic it's already in 4th, 5th gear when your at casual speed limit. 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 21, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #14 of 77
What about any vintage cars? From the 30's or 40's is what im looking at
biggrin.gif
I love the look of the licence plates, and also any car that i do get i will be putting 5 coats of wax and buffing it to make sure it looks extra perty.

Jun 22, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #15 of 77
Volkswagen Golf or Jetta TDI.  Diesel seems more expensive, but the TDI's can get 50+ mpg.  Very safe cars as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back