Recommend me a boot-up CD...
Mar 27, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 7
I like Hiren's bootcd, I know it has NTFS support. You could always use that.

Of course, the simplest method is to just use a floppy disk.
Or another alternative, if you don't have a floppy drive, is to create your own startup CD and burn the flash utility and BIOS file to that.

Mar 28, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #6 of 7
The most sure-fire, fool-proof method of flashing your mobo is to put the bios update image on the first partition accessible from dos and then using a floppy loaded with a clean boot driver (that takes you into dos without initiating any other driver loading) boot to dos. Then, running the awdflash.exe programme (or whichever is required by your mobo manufacturer) point to the bios image on the hard drive.

If you use NTFS, and your partitions aren't accessible to dos, then run everything from two floppy disks. Disk 1: Dr. Dos (or other clean boot driver) Disk 2: Awdflash + bios image. Cold boot from Disk 1 and then use the utility on Disk 2 to update the mobo.

I don't believe that you can use a generic motherboard flash programme, installed to a cdrom. Always use the flash programme and bios image explicitly identified by the motherboard manufacturer. [Years ago, I played the fool during a flash and ended up having to buy a new cmos chip.]

I hope you're not one of those people who were fooled into thinking that nobody needs a floppy drive any more.
eek.gif

Beginners Guides: Flashing a Motherboard BIOS
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=1605&page=4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back