Recommend jazz music for novice
Feb 11, 2014 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Saint Henrik

New Head-Fier
I have always enjoyed jazz but just recently started to really pay attention to listening it. So I'm looking for good album recommendations, it can be old or new , literally anything. So far I have enjoyed Miles Davis most and some Coltrane too.

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 11
Since you like Miles I am going to assume you already have Bitches Brew, Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain, etc.

Coltrane - Giant Steps, Blue Train, A Love Supreme
Brubeck - Time Out, Impressions of Japan, Jazz Goes to College
Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners, Straight No Chaser, Thelonious in Action, the recent release of Monk with Coltrane at Carnegie Hall is really good
Chick Corea - Sundance, Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy, Akoustic Band
Charlie Parker - Bird and Diz, Jazz at the Philharmonic. most albums are OOP but the Yardbird Suite compilation is fantastic.

Some more guitar/keys-driven fusion-y stuff: Pat Metheny Group - Offramp, American Garage, First Circle
Jeff Beck: Blow by Blow, Wired
Mahavishnu Orchestra, Inner Mounting Flame

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #5 of 11
Dec 30, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 11
Try:

Dexter Gordon - Go!
Wynton Marsalis - Big Train
Chick Corea, John Patitucci, Antonio Sanchez - Dr. Joe
Kenny Burrell - Ellington Is Forever
John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman - John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman
Stan Getz & Philippe Sarde - Mort d'un pourri
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 11
Pat Metheny Group   (post 1990):    "Wish You Were Here",  "Speaking of Now",  "The Way Up".......and his latest ensemble "Unity Band" is killer music.  "Kin" is insanely good stuff.

Yellowjackets :  "Mint Jam", "Four Squared", "Altered States"

Antonio Sanchez:  "New Life"   

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #10 of 11
Maynard Ferguson!!! try Birdland first, that's probably my favorite song from his band, i listen to him almost every day. Chase is my second favorite, every song they make is excellent, then probably Weather Report.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back