Recommend IEM's to get more bass from iPod shuffle?
Sep 15, 2008 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Bigburger

100+ Head-Fier
As an ultraportable music solution, I have just picked up a 2g iPod shuffle in the new, refreshed colours. I am liking the size and the light weight, but the bass seems to be less than I'd like with my d-JAYS.

With my 3G nano and d-JAYS, I use the R&B eq setting...it just sounds better to my ears than no eq at all, especially in the bass department, as when I listen at home through speakers and through HD555, I'm used to much more bass (I think the amp I use at home is bassy). And I like that sound. Obviously, the shuffle has no eq.

So I need some [economical] IEM's that I can use with the shuffle especially, to get more bass and a fuller sound than I get with the d-JAYS. I do like the Sennheiser sound (like from my HD555) and I was considering the CX300. Would this synergise well with the Shuffle and get me more bass than the d-JAYS?

Other models I am considering (due to local availability) are Sennheiser sport series and style series...I have no idea if any of these are standouts in terms of sound. Also, the entry level Klipsch IEM (Custom-1) is an option...please offer an opinion if anyone has heard that model. There is also Shure SE110 or SCL2.

So I'm pretty much picking out of these at the moment:

- Senn CX300
- Klipsch Custom-1
- Shure SE110
- Shure SCL2

Which one for more bass with the shuffle and a warmer, fuller sound?

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 17
Certainly not the Shures, if you want more bass.

The Sennheisers will definately have more bass, but some would describe it as boomy, and they might not have as much detail as the Jays.

I've never heard the Klipsch so can't comment on the sound signature.

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 17
Ok, so the Shures are out then...haven't heard great things about them anyway.

Any opinions from people that have used the CX300 (there must be lots of you??) or the Klipsch Custom-1?

The Klipsch would be about twice the price of the CX300...so I'd like to know if its worth the extra cash. Also, will the CX300 give me a similar sort of sound to the HD555?

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 17
They might not be easily available for you, but for me the Future Sonics Atrio M5s pair very well with my iPod Nano ... the Atrios provide impressive bass and make for an ultraportable combination with no pressing need for an amp with iPods. Well worth the effort to get them (via mail order), IMO. If you can manage to order some, and if the price isn't too great for you, this would be a win-win solution for your particular iPod needs, as you've described them -- just the performance/bass/portability solution you're requesting at a price that's well worth it, once you've heard how they sound. Avoiding trial and error and going directly for those would save you money in the long run.

At a much lower price (and performance) point, a very economical solution for you could be the Creative EP 630s ... I've recently tried mine with the Comply foam tips now available for them and other earphones with similar "nozzles" ... you won't get clarity like you would from an IEM, but for inexpensive canal phones, the extra comfort and isolation (and thus more bass) provided by the foam tips add to the value of these low-priced earphones. Said to have similar sound to the Sennheisers, at a lower price ... same form factor (so Complys would work for the Senns, too).

Avoid the lower-end Shures for iPods, if you want bass.

EDIT: This was typed up as you were submitting your previous comment, above.

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigburger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any opinions from people that have used the CX300 (there must be lots of you??)...

I don't know if this helps, but straight out of my 2G Shuffle, I find the CX300 to have way too much uncontrolled bass for my liking, and the hiss is very noticeable. I usually use the CX300 with my Sansa Clip, since its tighter bass and larger soundstage make the Senn much more enjoyable.

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 17
look into the future sonics fs1. You can get the for $80 on ebay or $119 from the company. Great bass.

also, for $99 you can get the denon 751 (the 700s are identical and are cheaper). Good bass, but not overpowering.

Hope that helps. I'd pick the denons of the FS1s and the atrios over the denons.

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 17
CX300 don't sound similar to HD555. They sound like HD485 (and even more brighter), featuring V-shaped frequency responce. This helps them to synergize with Shuffle as well as prevent them from nice matching with better players, like Sansa Clip.

I choose CX300 over D-Jays for Shuffle before. But I can not say that I'm well satisfied with this combo. Probably this is a Shuffle problem, not CX300 one. Shuffle is weak on bass, rolled-off on treble and undetailed. Think upgrading Shuffle to Clip. Likely you will be satisfied with Clip & D-Jays. BTW, I think that D-Jays sounds closer to HD555 than CX300, if you feed them from good source.

If you like to stay wtih Shuffle, learn more about v-Moda Vibe. My memory tells me that it sounds close to HD555, while is more bassy. This extra bass may not be a problem with bass-deficient Shuffle.

Sep 16, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #8 of 17
So the CX300 will be better sounding with the shuffle than d-JAYS??

Basically is there a positive difference that makes it worth buying a CX300 or should I just stick with d-JAYS?

Sep 16, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

So the CX300 will be better sounding with the shuffle than d-JAYS??

Yes.
Quote:

Basically is there a positive difference that makes it worth buying a CX300 or should I just stick with d-JAYS?

Yes, if you are looking for more bass.

Sep 22, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #11 of 17
Well I got the CX300 and...they are certainly a whole lot different to the d-JAYS... a fuller, less harsh and more laid back sound than the d-JAYS.

The CX300 is most definitely miles better with the Shuffle...and I would never use it with the d-JAYS now.

With my 3G nano, both IEM's do sound different, but I wouldn't say I have a definite preference for either one....kind of depends what kind of mood I'm in as to which I choose. :p Though I am using the CX300 more these days, probably just because they are new and exciting right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back