Recommend IEM's < $120 for use at work
Aug 1, 2014 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

penfold1992

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi

As someone who has enjoyed music growing up, listening to hours of music at a time, I feel ashamed to say that I have never listed to my music with headphones that have costed more than $20. However, I now have a job and I have some money to spend on something a little more to enjoy my music. I understand that $120 is not that much for audiophile IEM's and there are definitely better headphones out there but I would rather save up some more money for some proper over ear headphones that would be much better for listening to music but I digress. I will try to share as much knowledge as I can to help you guys give me the best solution possible!

The IEM headphones will be mainly used at work, noise isolation needs to be good enough that I don't bother the people I sit by (however I am not sure that will be too much of a problem with IEM's). I work in a very quiet office where the majority of noise is generated by keyboard taps and the occasional cough.
I will be listening to music from my iPod Touch 5th Gen and also possibly from an Android phone (Nexus 4) and to reduce the amount of times I need to get my ipod out to change songs, I would like to be able to have inline controls of some sort.

My current pair of headphones are some Samsung branded headphones that were sold in a supermarket around the London Olympic games and they have the team GB logo on the ends of the IEM's. They have an inline controller and a microphone but I was unable to find out the official name for them or how much they were originally worth (my brother worked for the store and got a large discounted price).
I actually quite like these headphones, I have found them pretty good (but I am sure you audiophiles would tell me that they suck a lot...) and I personally really like the silicone tips rather than the rubbery sponge ones that can be found with some IEM's.

The best image I could find was this: now these are not the ones I own, but they look quite similar...
http://image.dhgate.com/albu_407255063_00-1.0x0/samsung-hs-130-in-ear-headphones-black-amp.jpg

I mostly like to listen to Rock/Metal/Post-Hardcore but I enjoy many many types of music, from classical to jazz to country. Here are some examples:
Four Year Strong - Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Hell (Pop-Punk / Melodic Hardcore)
Avenged Sevenfold - Afterlife (Heavy Metal)
A Day To Remember - Since U Been Gone (Post-Hardcore)
Jason Becker - Altitudes (Neo-Classical)
Guthrie Govan - Waves (Jazz Fusion)

I have seen some recommendations for the following headsets but I am not sure if they still hold up today, if there are better headphones or if you guys would recommend something else, id like to get some opinions :)

DUNU Detonators
SteelSeries In-Flux (I am not sure if the In-Flux Pro's are worth the extra cost or not?)
RHA MA750i

my price range is flexible, I am open to suggestions :)

Thank you and nice to meet you all!

Aug 3, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 11
Hi,

You could also read about:

Yamaha EPH-100 (this are warm sounding IEMs)

If you prefer something more neutral, you should consider Rockit R50

Best Luck!

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 11
  Hi,

You could also read about:

Yamaha EPH-100 (this are warm sounding IEMs)

If you prefer something more neutral, you should consider Rockit R50

Best Luck!

Do you have information on the ones I listed too? Have you had any experience with them or any good / bad reviews (from a non biased source lol)?

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 11
  Do you have information on the ones I listed too? Have you had any experience with them or any good / bad reviews (from a non biased source lol)?

You can read some good things about RHA MA750i here:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/rha-ma750i-noise-isolating-premium-in-ear-headphone

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #8 of 11
well the 750 as rightly mentiond is pretty great.  great build and great sound quality.  naturaly there are many others too though and without mor specificity as to what you want its hard to say get this over that one because xyz.

my top 3 generalist are the MA-750, GR07 and DN-1000.  id bet that just about anyone new to here would get along well any of them.

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 11
after taking some further looks and more deliberation here is my current thoughts:

RHA MA750i - Only one with in-line controls, appears to be highly rated though for its sound
GR07 - probably the ones I would choose if I dont necessarily need in-line controls. I love the idea of the movable tip for comfort
Yamaha EPH-100 - another highly reviewed set of headphones

I went to the Bose store near me (as they were the only ones willing to allow me to test products...) and tried their MIE2i models which I found were extremily comfortable but the sound wasnt spectacularly more impressive than headphones that I can buy for around £25 (but maybe that is just my ears)
but for headphones without a seal on the ear and the ability to hear outside noise whilst being inaudible by others (mostly) made it slightly more of an option to purchase, they certainly werent £110 quality though I must say.

I am not sure if you could get away with any of the three listed above for listening whilst in bed with your head on a pillow but, I may be surprised. They all look a bit too bulky for that use anyway.

my ideas are becoming a lot more focused at least. Thanks for all the support so far!

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #10 of 11
well the 750 as rightly mentiond is pretty great.  great build and great sound quality.  naturaly there are many others too though and without mor specificity as to what you want its hard to say get this over that one because xyz.

my top 3 generalist are the MA-750, GR07 and DN-1000.  id bet that just about anyone new to here would get along well any of them.

+1

Aug 10, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #11 of 11
  after taking some further looks and more deliberation here is my current thoughts:

RHA MA750i - Only one with in-line controls, appears to be highly rated though for its sound
GR07 - probably the ones I would choose if I dont necessarily need in-line controls. I love the idea of the movable tip for comfort
Yamaha EPH-100 - another highly reviewed set of headphones

I went to the Bose store near me (as they were the only ones willing to allow me to test products...) and tried their MIE2i models which I found were extremily comfortable but the sound wasnt spectacularly more impressive than headphones that I can buy for around £25 (but maybe that is just my ears)
but for headphones without a seal on the ear and the ability to hear outside noise whilst being inaudible by others (mostly) made it slightly more of an option to purchase, they certainly werent £110 quality though I must say.

I am not sure if you could get away with any of the three listed above for listening whilst in bed with your head on a pillow but, I may be surprised. They all look a bit too bulky for that use anyway.

my ideas are becoming a lot more focused at least. Thanks for all the support so far!

for in bed use, my number 1 suggestion is the PL-50 as its so tiny.  its a rather mid centric sound so you may not love it.

of the onther 3 for bed use id think the gr07 and ma750 should be okay but id err towards the 750 as it being metal you wont accidently break it in your sleep if its not quite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back