Recommend IEM for Classical?
Jan 25, 2009 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jarrett

500+ Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi

I've had a pair of Ety ER6i for a couple years. I was walking along today when the left channel just died. Tried tapping it, adjusting the minijack, etc. I'm letting them warm up again inside. My player is a Sony S618 and I think the pairing is fantastic. Anyway, I listen to a lot of Classical and Jazz...so mainly acoustic. I find the bass on the ER6i a bit lean, but not as bad as some say. It's just present enough with +1 Clear Bass. If my IEMs don't work again, I'd like more of the same, a little better bass, nothing worse than what I have.

What are your guys suggestions for a new pair....under $100. Something with a clip on the cord would be nice too, I use the one on my Ety's all the time. I looked at some of the shootout threads around here and they are helpful.

Thanks!

Might as well update this for my research: Ety ER6i, Ety HF5, Head-Direct RE2, Shure SCL4

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 14
I'd say...stick with the ER-6i.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Head-Fi

I've had a pair of Ety ER6i for a couple years. I was walking along today when the left channel just died. Tried tapping it, adjusting the minijack, etc. I'm letting them warm up again inside. My player is a Sony S618 and I think the pairing is fantastic. Anyway, I listen to a lot of Classical and Jazz...so mainly acoustic. I find the bass on the ER6i a bit lean, but not as bad as some say. It's just present enough with +1 Clear Bass. If my IEMs don't work again, I'd like more of the same I guess, a little better bass, nothing worse than what I have.

What are your guys suggestions for a new pair....under $100. Something with a clip on the cord would be nice too, I use the one on my Ety's all the time. I looked at some of the shootout threads around here and they are helpful.

Thanks!

In my opinion, classical sounds great on my Head-Direct RE2's. I'm listening to a Claude Bolling and Yo-Yo Ma record right now with them through a Sansa Fuze and the FiiO E3 that comes free with the 'phones, and the cello sounds warm, smooth, and detailed enough to be very satisfying. The high notes of the piano are not distracting or harsh in any way. The isolation on these 'phones is pretty good as well. And, with the half-price sale going on at Head-Direct right now (for $49 now,) this would be an excellent time to pick them up. Good luck.

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 14
Looks like the ER6i is still a real option (shocked) or the RE2's you mentioned. I've never changed the filters. I read the only time you should do it is if the degradation is noticeable or they're dirty. That is a nice sale!! ER6i are $80 on eBay and RE2 are $50 on the head-direct website.

Edit...I'll change the filters. It may well be the only thing I can do...

Ok that did nothing!

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #6 of 14
Hmm... since you can get the same headphones you know and love for 80 bucks, I would say stick with them; I wish I could be content with what I have
frown.gif

But yea...look around and see if that is what you wanna do.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
website.

Edit...I'll change the filters. It may well be the only thing I can do...

Ok that did nothing!

That sucks. I was hoping that was the problem. Just a few weeks ago I had one channel die suddenly with my ER6. I crossed my fingers and changed the filters. Bingo!

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #8 of 14
I'd get a new pair of ety's for classical, nothing is better in that price range. If you would spend twice as much, Sleek SA6 because it has so many adjustments.

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #9 of 14
I never listened to any other IEM besides my ety ER4P (+S with the adapter). I can not find any fault with them at all.

The P->S adapter works well with some amps and not so with other. I like it with the pimeta. Works better IMO without it with corda move.

My other phones are Sennheiser hd580, Grado RS-80.
I also tried out the AKG 701, I thought they were too bright.
They are all good, for chamber music the ER4P are really as good as it gets. For full symphonic tutti I sometimes prefer the hd580.

I only listen to classical music (and have 10 years of classical training).

Actually, I have an old Koss the plug (not the spark plug, those are utter rubbish). Which are cheap'n'good and give me amazing isolation on flights (though too bassy).

Cheers,
Erez

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by praguewatermelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can Head-Direct RE2 be easily powered by mp3 players like IPOD classics?

I don't have the RE2 -- have considered them -- but several folks here say that a standard player will not do them justice without a bit of amping. But you can get an Fiio E5 for $20+, or even an E3 for $10, although the E3 boosts bass 3db but Cuts treble 3db.

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #13 of 14
I would think if you like the ER6i's that Shure SCL4s would be a pretty good option, especially for classical. I'm not sure the great $80 deal is still going with Guitar Center & Musician's Friend, but they are available for $100 on ebay. Be sure to check reputation of sellers though because there have been Shure fakes on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back