recommend headphone amp for Denon D5000?
Jan 18, 2008 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lucky_star

Banned
Hi I looking for an headphone amp for D5000. And I come with these two :
Corda Opera , RSA HR-2.

Anyone know how the sound will be if I combine either one of these to the D5000. Which one is better choice?

For my taste of music, I like to listen to ROCk and Pop with superb detail, kind of warm, big soundstage and image.

Thanks

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 9
Few days old but this thread deserves a bump. Unfortunatly I cannot answer, but I do wanna know as well because I'm looking for a better amp for my D5000 and currently looking at the quite expensive RSA Apache. Could the reason for so few (none) responses be that many here acctually underestimate the D5000 and stick to their HD650 and other headphones for different reasons? My belief is that there's some bias here about the Denon products acctually, or atleast I'm starting to believe that..

Jan 24, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 9
I'm kinda in the same boat with my D2000s (pending recable). although considering some higher end portables like the Pico and Predator as well.

Jan 24, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky_star /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For my taste of music, I like to listen to ROCk and Pop with superb detail, kind of warm, big soundstage and image.

Warm.
That sound like most 'Corda Opera' impressions...
If you running it from it's inbuilt DAC.

Superb Detail.
This sound came from 'Headamp GS-1'
For it's clarity, crystal clear detail...

Big Soundstage.
IMO, you need to taste "Tubes" amp,
But I tried my D2000 with Graham Slee "Green Solo",
and that's my initial impression...

Image.
You need a great source for this

Sorry, I never tried RSA products before, so I can't comment on them.
But if you're looking for portable solution, then take a look Pico or Predator.

Jan 24, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 9
I have had my d5000 for about a month now, and a predator for a week. I cant really give you a comparison as this is my first dedicated amp. I can however tell you Im not new to hifi, and I really like what I hear with this combo. I made minor mods to the d5000 by adding some cotton in the cups to tame the base a little, and they sound great.

Jan 24, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 9
I'll keep you posted on the D5k and Predator. They love my Apache. Really though, they are easy cans to drive. Hell, my laptop drove my D2k (when I owned them) very well. Do a search, there have been many threads on driving the D2k and D5k. Remember they have the same drivers and any amp that sounds good with one should sound good with the other. As they are so easy to drive the real question is, will the amp I am considering buying drive other cans I may want to listen to well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back