Recommend good transport with AES/EBU?
Jan 20, 2006 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

skullguise

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

I'm loving my Lavry DAC, but I'm also wondering if a better transport might make a great thing even better.

I'm using one of those mini footprint DVD players (Cyberhome) with a ven Haus digital cable. VERY nice stuff. But I'm wondering if there's a player or transport out there for not too much $, that has AES/EBU out to try.

A small footprint would be great, but not absolutely necessary. The ability to read CD-R's would be a nice plus too, as I have a bunch of compitlations.

I've seen a Meridian 500 on A'gon for $625, looking for something cheaper if possible. Also saw a CAL Delta transport; small footprint, AES/EBU out, but the seller didn't think it played CD-R's (does anyone know different?).

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd - skullguise

Jan 20, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 17
My CAL Delta has no issues with any of the CD-Rs I've played in it. Overall, I'm quite pleased with it as a low-cost small footprint transport.

Jan 20, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
RME digi 96/8, I'm guessing thats as good as it gets for PC digital outs when you use it with AES/EBU :p

How much would a decent AES/EBU cable cost, by the way?

I am going to build one in the next few days, parts cost goes as follows:

$3.00 for the DB-9 connector
$4.00 for the XLR connector
$4.50 for the 110-ohm cable

$11.50 total
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
I know AES/EBU can carry a ton of bandwidth, does this open up any more options with the Lavry?

Well I supposed you could upsample all the way up to 200kHz in the computer if you want to, however I think Coax supports that amount of data as well. I think AES/EBU is even more useful for when you have more than one stereo signal to send out digitally.

Jan 21, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaolinRasta
My CAL Delta has no issues with any of the CD-Rs I've played in it. Overall, I'm quite pleased with it as a low-cost small footprint transport.

Thanks for the update. I may go check this out.... I had read about some reliability problems on Audio Asylum or another forum, but still looks like a good little unit.

Jan 21, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 17
Not sure if they meet the small footprint requirements, but some of the Theta or Proceed units may serve.

Another, but hard to find, is a Micromega T-Drive - that little beauty does satisfy the small size, and is a lovely transport.

Have fun looking ...

Feb 20, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #9 of 17
Hi,
Little archeology here

My TD class amp (Lab Gruppen) has only one digital input that is AES/EBU - would you recommend best posibble way to stream my music from NAS using this protocol?

Would it be specialized PC Audio with usb/aes bridge such as Singxer or Mutec or i should look for some network streamer with aes output (auralic etc)

What affects most the sound quality in that case? Is it power supply,used clocks or something different? What i should have in mind searching for solution?
Cheers

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #11 of 17
Consider a raspberry pi with a a soon to be released i2s to spdif hat from pi 2 design.

Mar 23, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #12 of 17
Thanks!
As i understand this hat converts i2s to AES via WM8804 - it's not true balanced 110ohm AES signal but only spdif
I'm also afraid of many SMPS apllied within raspberry - it must be noisy

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #13 of 17
  Thanks!
As i understand this hat converts i2s to AES via WM8804 - it's not true balanced 110ohm AES signal but only spdif
I'm also afraid of many SMPS apllied within raspberry - it must be noisy

you can use a hifiberry digi+ pro.  there's a spot to add an xlr jack for aes/ebu out, so you'd need to get a jack and pull out your soldering iron.  hifiberry boards get great reviews for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back