Recommend Flash-based MP3 Player
Nov 25, 2006 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

solo2

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

This is my first post even if I'm not exactly new to this forum, having been lurking since 2003
tongue.gif
Well, my faithful 5gb microdrive zen micro stopped working today
frown.gif
I suspect it's due to hdd failure because I can detect faint buzzing noises emanating from the player. The screen simply freezes and reinserting the batt is futile. My loyal zen micro is condemned to the scrap heap sighs......... I guess it's partly my fault. Usually, I'm very careful with my personal articles but today, my messenger bag with my player came crashing to the floor accidentally when it slipped from the clothes hanger. The height wasn't that high but I guess it was enough to damage the player sighs.........

Now, I have another problem. I need a replacement mp3 player. After my experience with hdd-based players, I think it's best for me to stick to flash. I can't stomach the fact that despite being extra careful and taking good care of the player, minor accidents like this can render it useless sighs.

I'm looking for flash-based players with superlative sound quality. I'm pairing it with my super-fi 3 iems. Video, voice recording, FM radio, games and other features are secondary. I've currently narrowed my search down to iriver and cowon iaudio. I'm drawn to T10 and iaudio U3. I'm more inclined to T10 because of the long batt life and use of AA batt. But the design is too eccentric for my liking. U3 has looks but I'm quite leery of the short batt life in comparison to T10. Oh yah if you've noticed I prefer players with colour display
smily_headphones1.gif
After my zen micro, I thought I should get a more vibrant screen to add colour to my life hahaha.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 14
The microdrive might be rescuable with good ol' percussive maintenance. Turn the player on, and when it starts clicking WHACK it firmly on the side. Don't do it strongly enough that it slips and crashes on the wall, but enough that it hurts your hands a little.
If it doesn't work the first time repeat a few times more.
If it doesn't work then, please tell me how much you want to sell it to me for parts.
tongue.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 14
Ah, but that kind of precise operation (as well as the freezer trick) is best suited if data rescue
is needed because the drive is likely to fail again soon after. Then again, if its just the read/write
head simply tripped over a rabbit-hole and got stuck, all I'm all for endorsing the "careful whacking
approach"
wink.gif

How about the iriver clix? Lovely big screen and innovative design. Only downsides are the lack of
UMS support (MTP only), the AC adaptor is sold seperately and the price isn't so hugely competitve.
I should be taking delivery of 4gb black clix (+ free charger from a deal at misticriver) next week
and think its a good choice.

Nov 25, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 14
Even if you can revive your Micro, I agree that you should transition to flash-based players of comparable capacity.

I don't have experience with iRivers, but I can attest that iAudios have excellent sound that you can customize to your taste. The G2 and G3 are a bit plain looking (especially next to the glitzy Clix), but they have excellent battery life per AA battery (but a very basic display). And if you like it really loud, the new Creative Zen V is supposed to have a big sound in a little package.

Nov 25, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 14
Sansa E2x00 series very neutral sounding player, but can be eq'ed but the memory is cheap and also upgradable with microsd cards.
But for top sounding quality go for the iriver Clix, downfall is the limited memory only 4gb

Nov 25, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 14
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'd be getting the player today
icon10.gif
Wish me luck!

Quote:

How about the iriver clix? Lovely big screen and innovative design. Only downsides are the lack of
UMS support (MTP only), the AC adaptor is sold seperately and the price isn't so hugely competitve.
I should be taking delivery of 4gb black clix (+ free charger from a deal at misticriver) next week
and think its a good choice.

We don't have the clix locally in Singapore. We do have the iriver U10 though. Well, I could always import the clix from amazon but I cannot afford to wait any longer
wink.gif

I originally came from a flash-drive background. I owned a creative muvo NX 128MB (yes 128 MB and I paid a bomb for it back in early 2004) before switching to the micro. Of course I would prefer my player to be 4gb and above. The ipod's 8 gb nano was one of players I considered but upon audition, I was sorely disappointed with the SQ. The distortion was noticeable even for untrained ears like mine and I actually have to crank up the volume to near max on my super-fi 3s.

Nov 26, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 14
Okay I've finally decided and gotten the iriver T10
600smile.gif
Between the U3 and T10, I've chosen the T10 because I decided I need the supremely long batt life and user replaceable batteries
tongue.gif
And let me just say that audio quality is marvellous
600smile.gif
Compared to my zen micro, the soundstage for such a small player is awesome. So for those who're still deliberating, don't wait, run for the T10. It might probably be the last player designed by iriver that runs of AA/AAA batts. And this one's got a colour display.

Nov 26, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 14
Have fun with your T10!

If you get an MTP T10 and want to convert it to UMS, remember you can do so using the firmware updater utility. Update to the latest firmware, then re-run the utility and you should get an option to switch MTP<->UMS. Having said that, any T10 not purchased in North America or Europe should be natively UMS.

Tip #2... you can skin the firmware using h3mod. Ready made skins here.

Nov 27, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #9 of 14
Thanks drippydonut
tongue.gif

Okay I've uploaded some pics of the T10 and my trusty but now damaged Zen Micro for your viewing pleasure.

CIMG0652.jpg

CIMG0651.jpg

CIMG0650.jpg

CIMG0649.jpg

As you can see, the T10's posterior is kinda big. And it's got an odd irregularly bent shape. But I can live with it
580smile.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #10 of 14
Thanks for the photos. I think there's always a certain place for flash players that run off of AAA or AA batteries. People cite the expense of the bateries, but it's nice to have a player that outlives the life span of a built-in battery.

Glad you're enjoying your player already. Yes, it is a bit irregular looking -- it reminds me of the early MP3 players I would see in electronics stores just three or four years ago ... I always wondered what they were, why they were so weird looking, and why anyone would want to shrink CD tracks down to fit them into one of those things. I didn't have a home computer at the time, and I have to credit Dell (my first PC) and Apple (early iPod, my first, if troubled, DAP) for enabling me to see the possibilities ... after, um, seven DAPs, I'd say I've taken to the things.

Nov 27, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the photos. I think there's always a certain place for flash players that run off of AAA or AA batteries. People cite the expense of the bateries,

such people have never heard of rechargable batteries and quite frankly are unqualified to even be thinking about reviewing an electronic device

Nov 27, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spetsnaz Op /img/forum/go_quote.gif
such people have never heard of rechargable batteries and quite frankly are unqualified to even be thinking about reviewing an electronic device

I don't think thats quite true.

Sometimes its easier just to have a bundle of AA or AAA batteries and know that, when one set runs out, you can just keep on replacing them without the need to worry about chargers or charging batteries. For example, if you were going on holiday or a road-trip it would be easier than a charger- batteries run out? Throw them away and put a new set in!

Nov 27, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spetsnaz Op /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I strongly disagree.
Lithium-ion batteries are good things, but good old AA/AAAs still have the advantage that you're not going to remain without power, no matter where you are.
Also, devices containing rechargeable LiIons eventually need to be opened and have their cell(s) replaced. When a rechargeable AA/AAA dies, you toss it and replace it.
Granted, this isn't something that worries the average Head-fier, because even those of us that don't replace their players every 6 months are usually handy enough with screwdrivers and soldering irons to replace dead LiIon cells... and when a device is old enough that its cell needs replacement it's also usually old enough that its warranty will be expired.

But I'll say that I'm quite happy my Palm IIIx PDA works with two AAA cells.
Also, I usually prefer digicams that work with AAs to those that use proprietary LiIon cells.

What I'd like to see is players, digicams and all that work with an efficient LiIon cell, but still have an external holder where to put AAs if need be. Like the old Sony MiniDiscs, for example. I really hate Sony, but it has to be said that the external holders were very handy things to have in a trip.

Nov 29, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #14 of 14
Okay just some quick updates. After 3 days of usage at home and in the streets, I'm very impressed with this player in the SQ department. For a flash player, it literally pumps out music. Normal EQ is great but you know what, with SRS, the effects are quadrupled! I am actually hearing my music for the first time. Bass was strong and not boomy and notes were in general pretty clear. If there's a drawback of this player, it must be the horrible interface. Guess I'm not used to root directories yet *shrugs*. Controls are not particularly intuitive too. But that shouldn't stop music lovers from getting this player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back