Recommend Entire Laptop to Headphone Setup
Oct 23, 2008 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lac29

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a laptop to full can setup that will be flexible enough to handle any type of music, have good value, and last for a long time. I assume that means I need a DAC, amp, and some cans right? You have $500 to spend (absolutely cannot go over). Used prices are fine and encouraged. I have very little experience with DAC and amps but as for cans, they must be comfortable, open or close either is fine but preference for closed, durable, and of course most imp is balanced sound from low to high freq.

I'm not sure if this will help but these are the IEMs and buds that I've used and my quick impressions:

1) Koss KSC75 - I love. Great with rock. Good value.
2) Yuin PK2 - My most used and if there is a can that has a sound signature sorta like this recommend it to me.
3) Creative EP630 - Nice isolation, sound not great but I do think it's a good value for $25.
4) Shure E530 - I like the details are the best I've heard but the high freq cutoff is excruciatingly noticeable ... bad value for $250.

One question is I'm not sure if the soundcard somehow factors into things ... so any help with that would be great. Thanks!

Oct 23, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 9
Your laptop outputs are important in the calculation. In some cases (like Apple products with optical out) vintage gear is a possibility since you're open to used.

Oct 23, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 9
Ok, then let's start from the beginning and assume you're building a PC to put whatever sound card you want in. If a new soundcard is needed up the money cap to $600.

Oct 23, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #5 of 9
Whatever is needed specifically for the sound aspect of the computer which I am assuming is only the soundcard.

So if that's the case sound card + DAC + amp + cans.

Oct 23, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 9
The soundcard is bypassed if you get a DAC. A good one for around $100 is the Silverstone ensemble EB01. As far as an amp, you could get an inexpensive (but good) portable like the ibasso P3 heron ($165) or a nicer tube amp, like a little dot mk 2/+/++/3. Those are all under 200 plus shipping (which can be like 40) so that would be like 200-250 for a set of cans, which you'll have to pick based on your preference. I am not very experienced in the whole hifi audio arena, but I started in a similar position and I really enjoy all of the products I listed.

Oct 23, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #7 of 9
Yeah, I'm most unsure about how sound card is different from the DAC. Btw, can I assume you're at Yale? Maybe you know my brother who graduated last year from there.

Oct 23, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lac29 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm most unsure about how sound card is different from the DAC. Btw, can I assume you're at Yale? Maybe you know my brother who graduated last year from there.

yeah, I am. Though it's unlikely that I'd know him unless he was in Branford, because I was a freshman last year. As far as the soundcard/DAC, the DAC actually grabs the audio signal before it goes through to the soundcard and completely bypasses it. basically like an outboard, USB soundcard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back