Recommend closed over ear headphones 100-250$ please?
Jul 2, 2014 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

YouRsoCOOL

New Head-Fier
I listen to all types of music, I like bass but not overpowering, and i'm going to play some games with them (sports/shooters), I have Sennheiser HD 429's right now but the cable is to small. 
Please help? :)

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #2 of 7
  I listen to all types of music, I like bass but not overpowering, and i'm going to play some games with them (sports/shooters), I have Sennheiser HD 429's right now but the cable is to small. 
Please help? :)

Care to spill a little more details that that? I mean, when you say you listen to all types of music, do you really mean so? And how much bass is too much bass? Have you tried any other headphones that we could take as a reference point other than your HD429s? What equipment will you use them for (DAP, DAC, amp, source)? 

I have tried the 429 before but I didn't have a very solid grasp of its sound signature. It sounded okay, IIRC. Since you're looking for a long cable, you're looking for headphones with a very long fixed cable (or coiled cable), or a removable cable that you could switch out for, say, a 10 ft. long one. Then again, why don't you get a cable extender? They're cheap, don't need any digging to find, and doesn't affect sound quality. You could try the Sony MDR-V6 or the 7506, but they aren't exactly suited for gaming as they have a very small soundstage and subpar imaging.

If you could give us more details, finding you a good pair will be much easier.

-- thatBeatsguy

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 7
  Care to spill a little more details that that? I mean, when you say you listen to all types of music, do you really mean so? And how much bass is too much bass? Have you tried any other headphones that we could take as a reference point other than your HD429s? What equipment will you use them for (DAP, DAC, amp, source)? 

I have tried the 429 before but I didn't have a very solid grasp of its sound signature. It sounded okay, IIRC. Since you're looking for a long cable, you're looking for headphones with a very long fixed cable (or coiled cable), or a removable cable that you could switch out for, say, a 10 ft. long one. Then again, why don't you get a cable extender? They're cheap, don't need any digging to find, and doesn't affect sound quality. You could try the Sony MDR-V6 or the 7506, but they aren't exactly suited for gaming as they have a very small soundstage and subpar imaging.

If you could give us more details, finding you a good pair will be much easier.

-- thatBeatsguy

I have no knowledge of headphones, so most of the stuff you said all I could think was "what?" I will try to answer anyway...
Yes I really mean I listen to all types of music, I mostly listen to dubstep and rock though.
I don't really know how to describe how much bass would be to much.
I have used Astro a40's, Turtle beach x12, a pair of logitechs I forgot the name of, and some plantronic I forgot the name of.
I have no clue what a DAP, or DAC is, I will be plugging whatever I get into my computer, tv, and playstation 3 if it's compatible (which I would like).

I don't want to buy a cable extender as it would cost extra money i'm not willing to spend, why spend even 1$ on a extender if I can get a long cable with whatever I buy?
And I wouldn't buy something with a small soundstage, wouldn't that also be a waste of money if I can get better?

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #4 of 7
  I have no knowledge of headphones, so most of the stuff you said all I could think was "what?" I will try to answer anyway...
Yes I really mean I listen to all types of music, I mostly listen to dubstep and rock though.
I have used Astro a40's, Turtle beach x12, a pair of logitechs I forgot the name of, and some plantronic I forgot the name of.
I have no clue what a DAP, or DAC is, I will be plugging whatever I get into my computer, tv, and playstation 3 if it's compatible (which I would like).

I don't want to buy a cable extender as it would cost extra money i'm not willing to spend, why spend even 1$ on a extender if I can get a long cable with whatever I buy?
And I wouldn't buy something with a small soundstage, wouldn't that also be a waste of money if I can get better?

Okay, so total noob I'm talking with right now. Let's take this slow.
You said you listen to mostly dubstep and rock. There's our target. Of course, we're not gonna look for any headphones that are gonna ruin everything else, so there.

A DAP is a digital audio player (iPod, PC, PS3).
You know, the reason why I suggested that you buy a cable extender is because there are a lot of great headphones out there that don't come with a 10-foot-long cable. The list could go on and on. Also, what I said about the V6 was a suggestion; I know you're looking for the best you can get for the money, so you really didn't have to tell that to my face, thank you very much. Then again, the MDR-V6 is great for all types of music, and is really cheap (you could get them for about $50 if you know where to look).

Since my memory fails me at the moment, I'll try to remember some of the good headphones.
  1. I would recommend the Monster DNA ($200), since they sound fun and are great all-rounders. I'm not sure about their gaming performance, but they should be pretty good IIRC.
  2. If you're okay with open headphones, I would recommend the Sony MA-900 ($150-200). They may be discontinued, but there are still a lot of them floating around. They sound fun and engaging, do great with whatever you throw at them, but like I said, they're open headphones.
    (Since you're a total noob at headphones, let me give a quick explanation. Open headphones generally have a better soundstage and better imaging than most closed headphones [Yes, only most], but at the cost of a total lack of isolation, which means you hear everything around you and vice-versa. This is generally a bad idea if you game in a shared room.)
  3. Since you're a total noob at headphones and don't know exactly what kind of sound signature you want, I think I'll take a stab in the dark and say that you should give the Skullcandy SLYR ($80-100) a try. They sound balanced and good all-rounders, but is a gaming headset, so if you like talking over Teamspeak or something, then this would be a good pair to try out. They have a good soundstage, but great imaging, which is a must for gaming.
  4. Taking another stab in the dark, you should give the legendary ATH-M50s ($100-150) a go. They have a more V-shaped (more bass, more treble) signature than the DNAs and the MA-900s, but they have a decent soundstage and imaginga, and sound great with most electronic and rock genres. I don't think they're very suitable for classical or predominantly acoustic genres, but it's great for your musical tastes.

There are lots of headphones out there that sound great and have very desirable characteristics for your musical tastes, so it's best to give the actual headphones a try before buying a pair based on sheer suggestions. You should read some reviews on PCMag and CNet, as well. 

I wish you the best of luck with your headphone hunt. Hope this helps!

-- thatBeatsguy

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #5 of 7

You could make a standard headphone compatible with your ps3 by connecting the digital to analog converter to a headphone amp
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BVT4M30/ref=pd_aw_sbs_2?pi=SS115
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005HJWWW8/ref=pd_aw_sims_5?pi=SL500_SS115
Make sure you buy from a reputable vendor because there are lots of fakes.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #7 of 7
You could make a standard headphone compatible with your ps3 by connecting the digital to analog converter to a headphone amp
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BVT4M30/ref=pd_aw_sbs_2?pi=SS115
Make sure you buy from a reputable vendor because there are lots of fakes.

Oh wait 
theres another way
You can get a female rca to 3.5mm. (Standard headphone jack) and connect it to the amp (fiio e6 or fiio e11). You will be using the ps3's dac.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000J1H4VI/ref=pd_aw_sims_1?pi=SL500_SS115
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0053KWDES?pc_redir=1404219547&robot_redir=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back