Recommend closed cans similar to HD600 fit/ sound signature...
Jun 16, 2015 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

yourtoys7

500+ Head-Fier
I absolutely loved my 558, 600 sound and fitment, but sound lacking out is an issue at home for family + some sound would leak in. Can anyone recommend something similar over the ear (has to cover entire ear).
Tried momentum as well, don't cover the ear completely but love the sound as well.
thanks for any advise, 200-350.

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #3 of 17
dt250 250ohm got praised by some to be like a closed hd600.

Heh, there are some HD600 owners, like me, who bought the DT250 and sent them back. They sound nothing like the HD600. In fact, they sound nothing like a high-performance headphone: no real highs, no real lows, and a veiled midrange lacking detail and definition. They're almost the opposite of a HD600. Not even the tonal balance is similar.

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #6 of 17
I absolutely loved my 558, 600 sound and fitment, but sound lacking out is an issue at home for family + some sound would leak in. Can anyone recommend something similar over the ear (has to cover entire ear).
Tried momentum as well, don't cover the ear completely but love the sound as well.

What do you like about hd600? Momentum2 has similar mids and highs but more bass. M2 is similar with M1 but faster, one notch clearer and bigger.

If you want neutral-warm mids, there are plenty options. NAD VISO HP50, Momentum2, MDR1A, Beats, Bose, MH40. You might even like PM3, though it's a bit more leaner in the mids than HD600.

Jun 16, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 17
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k553-pro-studio-headphone

Don't remember the HD600 too well, but remember it being neutral, which the K553 is as well. Plus you really can't get anything else that good for the price.

Also if you believe in graphs there's the Shure SRH940 (though I've never heard it)

Jun 16, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 17

If you can stretch your budget by 20%, the Oppo PM-3's are very nice, and are very similar to my HD650's. The 650's have a touch better bass and the pm-3's have a bit better mids.

650's image better, but the pm-3's can be driven well with most any device. They both have positives and negatives, but they do have a similar sound.

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #10 of 17
  https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k553-pro-studio-headphone

Don't remember the HD600 too well, but remember it being neutral, which the K553 is as well. Plus you really can't get anything else that good for the price.

Also if you believe in graphs there's the Shure SRH940 (though I've never heard it)

That spike at 9khz will drastically effect how the treble is perceived. This is still relatively easy enough to EQ, especially if you're using a device that either has a graphic EQ that has 9khz in it, or you use an app with a parametric EQ (ie if you use a tablet or smartphone as a transport).  

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #11 of 17
My number 1 priority is comfort, I have not had anything as comfortable as hd558/ 600, If cans not comfortable i will not listen to them for long and thats what happening with my Momentum.
I like 600 for how natural they sounded to me, the way vocals were coming out., but comfort is number one goal!
DT48 and PM-3 look interesting, I'll do some reading now.

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #12 of 17
My number 1 priority is comfort, I have not had anything as comfortable as hd558/ 600, If cans not comfortable i will not listen to them for long and thats what happening with my Momentum.
I like 600 for how natural they sounded to me, the way vocals were coming out., but comfort is number one goal!

regarding comfort, if you want headphones comfortable to be worn for more than 3 hours, you have to look at large cups headphones like DT770 or K553. Everything else smaller will have compromise. To my ears, even HD650 is not 100% comfortable. I can only wear it for about 3-4 hours. There is plenty room vertically but not even depth. I find that Bose headphones to be the most comfortable portable headphones.

For your budget and preference, try these NAD VISO HP50, MDR1A, Bose. NAD was comfortable for short periods for me but it does't have enough depth in the cup for long term listening. MDR1A is sloppy in the bass area but it is comfortable and warm in mids. Bose is comfortable but nothing special sound wise. It's cheap though.

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #13 of 17
If you can stretch your budget by 20%, the Oppo PM-3's are very nice, and are very similar to my HD650's. The 650's have a touch better bass and the pm-3's have a bit better mids.

650's image better, but the pm-3's can be driven well with most any device. They both have positives and negatives, but they do have a similar sound.

You mean the PM3 has better bass and the HD650 has better mids? The mids ate not even comparable. I don't think there's a hesdphone out there, that has the mids the HD650 has.

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #14 of 17

The Shure earcups have the same oval shape but they're considerably smaller; my earlobes touch the driver screen on the 1840 and 1440.

Maybe try the HD380?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back