recommend Cans for explosions.
Apr 27, 2008 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

carny

New Head-Fier
looking for good phones for gaming and music , want your suggestion.

i play counter strike mainly and attend lans often too.i am stuck b/w open and closed phones , in game i dont want to be distrubed by background noises where i could concentratre on game.

but again i have heard open cans have greater soundstage then closed ones.

like audiotechnica ad700 > a700/500 closed ones.

i have narrowed down to these choices btw and are withing my budget.

Equation Audio RP-21
M-Audio Q40
Denon AH-D1001/1000
audio technica A500/700 or ad700/500
seinhessier 555
akg 240/s

are there any good cans i am missing please mention negative and positives and your experience.

THanks

Apr 27, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 15
for source ad700 or hd 595/555. and get a zalman mic and you shall be set
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #4 of 15
In general but not in all cases: open cans give a pleasnt sound, IEMs will give you the most isolation and close cans give you a bit of each.

I use a ATH-A900LTD for games; it gives a bit more isolation than open cans and still sounds very nice to me. It images much better than the Sennheisers I've tried. They are very easy to drive, you definatle will not need an amp for them.

The Denons have a cleaner bass hit than my audio-technicas so they would probably be a better choice for CS. They improve a little with an amp but you shouldn't need to get one.

The HD555 is a nice headphone for music but not ideal for gaming. It is easy to drive but it will not give you isolation and it doesn't image as well as many other 'phones. They are lightweight and most people find them to be very comfortable (I have a comfort issue with them).

Grados are good for music and good enough for games. They are easy to drive and image well but many people find the earpads uncomfortable (I don't think they are too bad).

The DT770 will give you some isolation, I've only heard them in someone else's setup so I will not comment further on them.

The KSC-35 (now discontinued) imaged well, within their small soundstage. I would guess that an APS recabled KSC-75 would make a good alternative. APureSound - Where The Music Is Always Pure

Apr 28, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 15
Not really impressed with the DT770's bass.. The DT880's have more drive, & authority.. The DT990's have better slam & impact.. My 650's have more boom, weight, & bass you can physically feel..

Still not sure what to think of the DT770's bass.. More transparent then the DT990.. The DT770's do have more quantity then the other Beyers, but lack of body, & weight makes it almost invisible until the impact.

Apr 28, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by carny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looking for good phones for gaming and music , want your suggestion.

i play counter strike mainly and attend lans often too.i am stuck b/w open and closed phones , in game i dont want to be distrubed by background noises where i could concentratre on game.

but again i have heard open cans have greater soundstage then closed ones.

like audiotechnica ad700 > a700/500 closed ones.

i have narrowed down to these choices btw and are withing my budget.

Equation Audio RP-21
M-Audio Q40
Denon AH-D1001/1000
audio technica A500/700 or ad700/500
seinhessier 555
akg 240/s

are there any good cans i am missing please mention negative and positives and your experience.

THanks

bass heavy sextetts if you can find them.. They leave the DT770's in the dust when I play Saints Row..

Apr 28, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #11 of 15
My preffered cans for gaming/movies are the Philips HP1000, they have such deep and thunderous expolsions...

I also got the dt880, but they are not for gaming in my world, they are for music...

I quite agree with coolbubba on the dt770, I do however not like them at all for anything...

Go for the Philips they will not disapoint you and they are cheap as dirt for their quality also they are 32 ohm so you can easily use them direct from the pc...
For an open phone they isolate quite good..

Apr 28, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #13 of 15
beyers are pricey and i cant fit them under my budget.

Philips HP1000 looking interesting but how do they isolate?

what about the ones i mentioned? denon , m-audio q40? any one?

btw topic by explosions doesn't mean the bass but all round performance in every aspect.
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #15 of 15
I'd recommend exploding some cheaper headphones, because the value of diminishing returns for exploding headphones jumps up exponentially at around the $5 price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back