Recommend Blue's albums
Oct 13, 2005 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Jakets

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for some good blues albums, i just started listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan and I'm really digging it. Whats some other good blues artists, and there best album?

Thanks
orphsmile.gif

Oct 13, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 20
Buddy Guy: Buddy's Baddest - The Best of Buddy Guy

Crutial Guitar Blues

Oct 13, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 20
Muddy Waters: Folk Singer

Buddy Guy: Stone Crazy / I Left My Blues in San Francisco / Buddy Guy & Junior Wells Play the Blues

Oct 13, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 20
On a different tangent, but highly enjoyable if you can sit for a while, Bitches Brew by Miles Davis is just amazing. Cliche to say, but it is never the same twice.

Oct 13, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakets
I'm looking for some good blues albums, i just started listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan and I'm really digging it. Whats some other good blues artists, and there best album?

Thanks
orphsmile.gif

I know more acoustic stuff than electric, so that's what I'll advise.

Start with the roots:
Robert Johnson -- King of the Delta Blues (on Columbia)
Son House -- Compliation on Columbia or Biograph labels

Next try Lightin' Hopkins -- Swarthmore Concert

But the all-time champion is John Lee Hooker. He played both acoustic and electric, both solo and with others. I have tons of his CDs, and I love them all.

Oct 13, 2005 at 7:30 AM Post #6 of 20
To satify your SRV lust how about Albert King with SRV - In Session, a very good hybrid SACD. Buddy Guy - Sweat Tea for that big ax sound, Junior Wells - Come On In This House with many guest artists onboard. Muddy Waters - Electric Mud, MW is quoted as saying he hated this album but for me its' a remains a solid electric blues album. All the previous posters have mentioned some excellent albums as well and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Oct 13, 2005 at 11:01 AM Post #8 of 20
Gratefulshrink beat me to it:
JLH - Boom Boom, or Chill Out, would be a good start.

Oct 13, 2005 at 11:11 AM Post #9 of 20
Buddy Guy - Sweet Tea
Buddy Guy - Damn Right I've Got the Blues
Big Jack Johnson - The Memphis Barbecue Sessions
Robert Johnson - King of the Delta Blues
BB King - Anthology

Oct 13, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #10 of 20
Lots of great music to listen to:

Classic Artists
B.B. King: Live at the Regal
Live in Cook County Jail
Muddy Waters: The Anthology 1947-1972
Howlin' Wolf: His Best
Willie Dixon: Chess Box Set - This is mostly other people singing his songs, a great introduction to a lot of classic artists.
Robert Johnson: Box Set
Lightning Hopkins: Mojo Hand Anthology
John Lee Hooker: Very Best
Buddy Guy: Damn Right I've got the blues

Some newer stuff:
Richard Johnston: Foot Hill Stomp
Scott Henderson: Tore Down House - Thelma Houston vocals and Henderson's awesome guitar playing (though his style is _almost_ too clean and technical for me sometimes - I miss the grit)

Oct 14, 2005 at 1:08 PM Post #13 of 20
If you want original 20s-40s blues, you can't go wrong with the complete sets by JSP Records. They are an amazing value. The Blind Willie McTell set is fantastic and is what really turned me on to the blues. The Legends of Country Blues set with the complete pre war Son House, Skip James, Bukka White, Ishman Bracey, and Tommy Johnson is also great. There are many other worthwhile sets as well.

Do an advanced music search on Amazon for the label JSP Records to see what they have. Great 4 and 5 CD sets for less than $30.00.

Here is the JSP website: http://www.jsprecords.com/

Oct 14, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #14 of 20
I will probably get flamed, but I happen to like Kenny Wayne Shepherd's first CD, "Ledbetter Heights." When it first came out, everyone thought he was a SRV clone, but I don't agree. The CD is blues-rock, and kind of "commercial" sounding, but the guy CAN PLAY. I really like this disc, especially the first 5-6 tracks. Listen to #4, "Shame, Shame, Shame" and see if you don't agree.
600smile.gif

Oct 14, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyC
If you want original 20s-40s blues, you can't go wrong with the complete sets by JSP Records. They are an amazing value. The Blind Willie McTell set is fantastic and is what really turned me on to the blues. The Legends of Country Blues set with the complete pre war Son House, Skip James, Bukka White, Ishman Bracey, and Tommy Johnson is also great. There are many other worthwhile sets as well.

I just picked up their Blind Lemon Jefferson and Blind Blake sets. I agree they're great values and it's great to be able to hear the music from this era. But I have a hard time recomending this to someone just getting into Blues. The quality of the recordings (no slam on JSP, it's just that they source material is old and lo-fi) is really distracting for me. I listen for "historical reference" but can't just sit back and enjoy the music without noticing the flaws in the recordings.

Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back