Recommend Audio technica ath-m50x with suitable amp
May 11, 2015 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wildwood88

Head-Fier
Hi I am new here.
Recently just bought the m50xdg
I love this color than the last year brown and blue color.
I always use iPad air 2 and spotify
I heard of adding an amplifier will fully the power of the headphone
Any recommendation suitable for m50x?
Within 150 dollars
Thx you

May 11, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #2 of 6
The m50x are not hard to drive, so I do not think an amp is necessary. The difference in sound will be relatively small and I don't think it's worth spending that much money.

Dedicated DAPs (Digital Audio Players) provide a more significant difference in sound quality, but those can't use Spotify. If you prefer the ease of Spotify, just keep using your current set-up.

May 11, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 6
The m50x are not hard to drive, so I do not think an amp is necessary. The difference in sound will be relatively small and I don't think it's worth spending that much money.

Dedicated DAPs (Digital Audio Players) provide a more significant difference in sound quality, but those can't use Spotify. If you prefer the ease of Spotify, just keep using your current set-up.

Thanks for the reply.
I am happy with the current set, but there's still something missing for the sound.
I don't know how to describe
That's why I am consider the amp.
For DAP, how about Fiio x1? Is that worth it?

May 11, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the reply.
I am happy with the current set, but there's still something missing for the sound.
I don't know how to describe
That's why I am consider the amp.
For DAP, how about Fiio x1? Is that worth it?

Try another headphone then. An amp will do next to nothing on an M50x. The differences on a DAP will be very minimal as well. At this price range, it will be better to buy better headphones first, then worry about the rest.

May 11, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #5 of 6
  Try another headphone then. An amp will do next to nothing on an M50x. The differences on a DAP will be very minimal as well. At this price range, it will be better to buy better headphones first, then worry about the rest.

That's a good point you make. While the Fiio X1 is a very good DAP for it's price (I have one myself), the largest improvements are achieved by getting a better headphone; that's the weakest link.

@wildwood88
Your headphone is relatively new though, so getting new ones now doesn't make much sense, I think. The X1 will make at least make more of a difference than an amp and if you feel like upgrading your headphones in the future, the X1 is very likely to be able to drive them properly.

You could also decide to save that money to be able to upgrade headphones sooner. $150 is not enough to make an upgrade coming from the M50x.

May 11, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #6 of 6
If you are running your iPad near or at full volume, then a headphone amp could likely help with the dynamic peaks. I find that a headphone amp helps with my M50s when using it with my LG Pad and my Sansa Clip if I want to listen to things loud.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good bit more power. A FiiO E11K could easily power the M50x to very loud volumes. Or if you want to spend more of your budget, the FiiO E12 has even more power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back