Recommend an Upgrade from My Denon D2000s?
Dec 17, 2015 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

blinkstar

100+ Head-Fier
I love my Denon D2000s. I've owned many different headphones and nothing ever made me want to listen to anything else. But I've already replaced the cable once and now it has worn out/shorted again and I'm thinking of trying some different cans. I use them exclusively for gaming and what I want is a nice wide soundstage and lots of bass ...

What can you recommend that would compare favorably to the D2000s?

Dec 17, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 4
TH-600 or TH-900, the old Denons natural replacements as some say. Not sure about the soundstage on them as I haven't tried them myself but most say it's good, but the bass is among the best you'll find in headphones. Soundstage and bass are difficult to find, having been looking myself and have settled on more neutral sounding with huge bass potential I am interested in others' recommendations. 

Dec 17, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 4
  TH-600 or TH-900, the old Denons natural replacements as some say. Not sure about the soundstage on them as I haven't tried them myself but most say it's good, but the bass is among the best you'll find in headphones. Soundstage and bass are difficult to find, having been looking myself and have settled on more neutral sounding with huge bass potential I am interested in others' recommendations. 

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into both of those, and yes, if anyone else has any other recommendations I too would of course like to hear them.

EDIT Ouch! I know I didn't specify any price limit but $600 is a little outside my range right at the moment ...

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 4
Oh...you might want to try DT990, AKG K7XX (massdrop only), Fostex TH-X00 (massdrop only), Philips X2, HE-400/400i, or perhaps SRH 1540. All at or under $500. Have only tried the DT990s and HE-400is, you'll get soundstage comparable to $1500 HD800s (my current daily drivers and favorite cans) pre-anaxilus mod and with stock cable but the sub-bass will be lacking, although there is a mid-bass peak so it thumps well. As for the HE-400is they've got bass and decent soundstage, but nothing overly spectacular. I would really recommend waiting until you've got the $600/$1150 to spend on the Fostexs though, if you can't wait I bet the TH-X00s are going to fit well if you can wait for the next drop, if not the X2s as they're highly regarded, but I have no personal experience with either, so I cannot say for sure. The SRH 1540s are something I have looked at personally in the past and have heard they have good soundstage, but not quite sure how that would hold up against open backs. 

Would also be good to mention all but the TH-X00s and SRH 1540s are open-back. Closed backs aren't likely to have a wide soundstage, but open backs can have really good bass. 

I'd also ask in the audiophile basshead thread since you're not getting many replies if you haven't already. They're going to have a lot more experience to pass along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back