Recommend An SACD Deck?
Nov 20, 2004 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Mr. X

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for help from some knowledgeable audiophile SACD supporters.

I keep holding off on upgrading my CD deck because I want to make sure I make the right purchase before spending the money. To me, the most important factor in making my purchase is how good redbook CD's sound. I absolutely love Super Audio, but up until now, I have yet to hear an SACD player that can do redbook as well as a dedicated CDP.

Is there an SACD player around $650 (or less) that will play redbook CD's that sound good matched with my Rotel receiver and B&W 602 speakers? I need something that will sound as good as (or better than) the Rotel RDC-1072, as this is the CDP I am most interested in. I am either going to wait to purchase it, or continue looking for an SACD player that can match its sound. I'd love to get into SACD, but only if it can do what I need for redbook in my system.

Finally, I have no need for a DVD or DVD-A player OR being able to play multichannel SACD's, as it will be a LONG time before I'm ready to expand from 2-channel. So, I'm thinking a dedicated 2-Channel SACD deck may be best...???

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 20, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 30
At that price range I'd look at some of the Sony's. There almost all are DVD players and multichannel, but stereo only is always an option.

Scott
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. X
I'm looking for help from some knowledgeable audiophile SACD supporters.

I keep holding off on upgrading my CD deck because I want to make sure I make the right purchase before spending the money. To me, the most important factor in making my purchase is how good redbook CD's sound. I absolutely love Super Audio, but up until now, I have yet to hear an SACD player that can do redbook as well as a dedicated CDP.

Is there an SACD player around $650 (or less) that will play redbook CD's that sound good matched with my Rotel receiver and B&W 602 speakers? I need something that will sound as good as (or better than) the Rotel RDC-1072, as this is the CDP I am most interested in. I am either going to wait to purchase it, or continue looking for an SACD player that can match its sound. I'd love to get into SACD, but only if it can do what I need for redbook in my system.

Finally, I have no need for a DVD or DVD-A player OR being able to play multichannel SACD's, as it will be a LONG time before I'm ready to expand from 2-channel. So, I'm thinking a dedicated 2-Channel SACD deck may be best...???

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 21, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 30
You may find a Sony 999ES or a Denon 2900. The Sony is said to be a good stock CD player with some great modifications levels for future upgrades. The Denon 2900 was replaced by the new 3910 and this helps to the price drop. Both can be have for around $650 or less.

Jose.

Nov 21, 2004 at 9:08 AM Post #4 of 30
Thanks for the input.

Just to clarify, these are the three must important factors in determining what to get:

1) The deck must be a good match for my Rotel RX-1050 and B&W 602's.
2) Redbook must be comparable to Rotel's CDP's.
3) Must be under $750

..and, again, here are my choices:

1) Keep the Yamaha CDX-396
2) Upgrade to an SACD Deck (Yamaha? Philips? Sony? Other?)
3) Upgrade to Rotel RCD-02
4) Upgrade to Rotel RCD-1072

I wonder how the soon-to-be-released Yamaha DVD-S2500 will sound? So far, that's the only SACD deck that sounds promising. If anyone has any other suggestions, please add them. Thanks!

Nov 21, 2004 at 10:48 AM Post #5 of 30
Stereo (german magazine) ratings:

CD PLAYBACK (higher % -> better sound)
Marantz SA-17S1 (cd/sacd) 78%
Denon DVD-A 11 (universal) 54%
Rotel RCD-1072 48%
Marantz SA8400 (cd/sacd) 46%
Yamaha DVD-S2300 (universal) 44%
Denon DVD-2900 (universal) 41%

SACD PLAYBACK
Marantz SA-17S1 87%
Denon DVD-2900 82%
Marantz SA8400 79%
Yamaha DVD-S2300 78%

Hope this helps.

Nov 21, 2004 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 30
You might check out the Philips 963 which is now discontinued but has excellent video playback in addition to CD and SACD.
I was happy with mine then had it modded by Matthew at SACDMods and it is now on a par with my Meridian for redbook and the SACD is simply awesome. You can probably find one for $250-$350 and the mods run $391. I have B&W 604s2 and 601s2 and have owned a Rotel HT receiver. In that rig, I used a Sony DVD player's coax out into the Rotel's DAC and this Philips absolutely smokes that arrangement.
Do a search here for the 963 if you want more info.
Hope this helps.
CPW

Nov 21, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by KtoEto
Rotel RCD-1072 48%

SACD PLAYBACK
Marantz SA-17S1 87%
Denon DVD-2900 82%
Marantz SA8400 79%
Yamaha DVD-S2300 78%

Hope this helps.

Look into Marantz SA8260(cd/sacd), it looked slightly better in audio than Marantz DV8400 on spec sheet. It's listed in www.audiocubes2.com. By comparison, I couldn't tell a difference between Marantz SA8260 and SA8400. Anyone know the difference?

Nov 21, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by KtoEto

Rotel RCD-1072 48%

SACD PLAYBACK
Marantz SA-17S1 87%
Denon DVD-2900 82%
Marantz SA8400 79%
Yamaha DVD-S2300 78%

Hope this helps.

This month's Stereoplay issue should have reviewed Marantz's brand new SA-11S1 (stereo only) SACD player. I am curious to know how this compares to my Marantz SA-17S1 (which I think sounds very, very good...and which received a quite high rating).

Nov 21, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 30
Wow. A stereo-only SACD player without any DVD capabilities? That's exactly what I would love. Unfortunately, I'm sure that deck (SA-11S1) will cost a fortune. It's too bad Marantz doesn't feel that people unwilling to spend over $1000 would be interested in a stereo-only SACD player. The new Marantz turntable looks sweet, as well.

I know I shouldn't judge without listening, but I just can't believe that the German magazine would be correct in rating universal players higher in redbook playback than Rotel CDP's.

Also, I'm not interested in having any modding done. I want a player that will sound great as is. I'm also not comfortable with the Philips reputation of defective units. I also don't think it would be a good match for my hifi (based on the descriptions of how it sounds).

It's still looking like separates is the way to go. Once again, I'm leaning towards the RCD-1072. Unless someone directs me to some other SACD player in my budget that plays redbook as good as the Rotels, I'll have to wait on SACD until I upgrade my cheap Samsung DVD player--which I don't plan on doing for 1-2 years.

Anyone else?

Nov 21, 2004 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. X
Wow. A stereo-only SACD player without any DVD capabilities? That's exactly what I would love. Unfortunately, I'm sure that deck (SA-11S1) will cost a fortune. It's too bad Marantz doesn't feel that people unwilling to spend over $1000 would be interested in a stereo-only SACD player. The new Marantz turntable looks sweet, as well.

Yes, the SA-11S1 is a stereo-only SACD player without DVD capabilities...as for the price...well...it should be in the 3000$+ price range (not that much more than the SA-17S1).
I got my SA-17S1 a pair of months ago...at that point, I didn't know that the SA-11S1 was around the corner, otherwise I maybe would have bought that one. At the moment, I only use my SA-17S1 with my HD650 (mainly) or with stereo speakers, and this won't change in the near future. But at least I'm ready for an hypotetical multichannel future.
biggrin.gif

If you don't want to spend that much, then the SA8400 is a stereo-only SACD player too, and it's far more affordable...

Nov 21, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafner
Yes, the SA-11S1 is a stereo-only SACD player without DVD capabilities...as for the price...well...it should be in the 3000$+ price range (not that much more than the SA-17S1).
I got my SA-17S1 a pair of months ago...at that point, I didn't know that the SA-11S1 was around the corner, otherwise I maybe would have bought that one. At the moment, I only use my SA-17S1 with my HD650 (mainly) or with stereo speakers, and this won't change in the near future. But at least I'm ready for an hypotetical multichannel future.
biggrin.gif

If you don't want to spend that much, then the SA8400 is a stereo-only SACD player too, and it's far more affordable...

Hmm..the SA8400 sounds intriguing...so far, the best price I've found is $879 at audiocubes.com. This is about $200 more than I'm willing to spend right now...but if redbook playbook can rival the Rotel CDP's, then I may be interested in waiting on purchasing to get it in the future.

Nov 22, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
Well I was looking at the same thing yesterday and found more Marantz SA8260. Just looking at the specs of SA8400/8260 they look almost the same.
Check:http://www.accessories4less.com and audiogon.com

The 8400 sounds like it would be much better, since it's strictly a stereo SACD player. 8260 is multichannel; that's the big difference. I'm hoping the 8400 can be had somewhere for $700....but I definitely need to audition it somewhere if I decide on it, and A/B it with Rotel CDP's (which have impressed me the most so far within my budget).....

Nov 23, 2004 at 5:28 AM Post #14 of 30
After spending lots of time agonizing over this, I finally came to a decision. The SACD deck I would choose would definitely be the Marantz SA8260. HOWEVER...

I ultimately decided to get back on the sidelines of the SACD v. DVD-A game. I went with, what I believe, is the ultimate value for my money. The Rotel RCD-02. I am absolutely thrilled with my decision!

I can not believe how much life is being breathed back in to my CD collection. This player is even making the most poorly mastered CD's sound decent. I've tested all kinds of music, and couldn't disagree more with what someone said about how rock music sounds in this player...I think rock sounds great through this system! (Perhaps he/she's problem lies within the rest of his/her hifi chain).

Sure, it would have been nice to get the RCD-1072...but I just didn't feel that it was $200 better. I still could end up upgrading to the 1072 in the future---perhaps after the next turntable upgrade. For now, the 02 seems to compliment my Pro-Ject 1.2 very well.

I'm loving this deck, and it's not even broken in yet!!

Thanks for the help, head-fi'ers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back