Recommend an isolation platform.
Nov 15, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #16 of 18
sounds like a plan. Point of clarification--I'm not quite as sure about platform, but isolation devices like Aurios definitely make a difference.

Nov 15, 2004 at 5:08 AM Post #17 of 18
somebody recommended mana accoustics to me. They are a UK firm. But the concrete slabs is the easiest to try out. I don't fancy keep moving some of my stuff as its heavy like the tri vista and mark levinson to find it doesn't make any difference

Nov 15, 2004 at 1:27 PM Post #18 of 18
There are several things to concider when "isolating" a device.

1. vibrations caused by sound
2. Vibrations caused by the vibrating rack
3. Caused by the device itself (transformer, spinning CD etc...)

Most people who have actually been experimenting with different isolation platforms do not prefer e.g. heavy stone or concrete platforms. They might decreace vibration No: 1 a bit for heavy mass but do not help much with No: 2 and 3.

Many people have had huge disappointments after buying an expensive granite platform which actually has ended up degrading the sound. The vibrations caused the device itself might get even worse when the device starts bouncing on top of a heavy and hard surface. Sound easily vibrates floor and rack and these vibrations can not be stopped by adding a relatively small weight on top of the rack.

Nowadays I use Ceraballs and inner tube platform (Another pic). I have a box of sand on top of the player.

This configuration works best with my player when I keep it on a small table. When I keep it in the actual rack, inner tube platform and DIY rollerblock's without the sandbox seems to be the best combination. The rollerblocks are great but they are pain in the ass to use as you can't use heavy cabling and every time you touch the device it starts rocking from side to side.

The innertube has to be as empty as possible (too full doesn't do the trick). This platforms isolates the device from vibrating rack and floor and absorbs also the vibrations which are coming from the device through the rollerblock or ceraballs (or what ever stiff material). Rollerblock's change the frequency of nasty vibrations to about 2 Hz rocking motions which shouldn't affect the sound. This combinations isn't flawless ofcource but not bad either.

I haven't tried sandbox under a cdp but it is definitely something that I will try as soon as I have time to build one. Innertube platform and DIY rollerblock are easy to build and they cost only very little.

Here's a picture of a rollerblock I built from aluminum cans:
http://kotiweb.kotiportti.fi/audiovi...geo26pg1p5.jpg

I have had great results with vibration control with my cd player but my power amp seems to be quite insensiteve for vibrations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back