Recommend an in-ear headphone for me :)
Aug 26, 2009 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Tenson

New Head-Fier
Okay I'm sure this sort of thread has been done to death but I hope you can help me!

I want to get some in-ear headphones to use with my Sony Ericsson whatever its called... W750 or something.

I'm in the UK and willing to spend about £150, provided it is worth it for use just with my phone?

I know a lot of people like Shure and ETYmotic. I can not easily hear them before purchase though. Unless you know somewhere in London with lots to try out?

My brother has some ETYmotic 4's. From the short listen I got, I thought they were very good but not amazing. Somehow they seemed a little restrained and lifeless. But maybe this is because he was driving them from his phone (similar to my one).

If it helps, I know I like the AKG sound as I have owned K1000, K701 and K401. I also liked the sound of the Audio Technica AD700, but the headband is too big for my small skull!

Perhaps some AT in ears would be a good choice? Or what do you think of the AKG in ears? They seem quite cheap but maybe it is still a good option for me.

Aug 27, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 17
What was wrong with the etymotics specifically? The bass/mids/highs? Too revealing of badly mastered songs? Soundstage?

Cheaper Shures don't seem to be recommended around here.

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 17
How should I describe the sound I want? It is impossible, lol! But, if you know the sound of the top-end AKG open back headphones then you will know the sound I like. Very transparent, dynamic and lively, but I do think the K701 are a little bass light.

I only got a short listen to the ETYmotics so it is hard to comment in a detailed way. Like I say they just didn't seem very dynamic or alive. A little 'sat on'. I don't think it's because they have a flat response though because I am used to listening to speakers with a flat response. I don't think I will like headphones with large response variations.

Maybe I am just spoilt by my previous experiences with very expensive 'phones like the AKG K1000 and extremely good speakers. Really there is nothing wrong with the sound of the ETYmotics and I'd be very happy with it, but I think they are a bit pricey for what you get. Can I get a similar sound for less cost?

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 17
Very much not. If he thought the ER4 was too constrained, the RE0 is a good deal more so. They also benefit a bit from amping which doesn't seem like he's planning to do.

The way it sounds, you want an earphone that is more dynamic and in your face or at least not as subtle as the ER4. One thing you will find with the ER4 is that they do sound more balanced dynamically. They may not present a "hey look at me" sound, but it comes across more even and appropriate the more you listen to the set. It's not something you will realize with only a brief listen. It's something you realize with time and when comparing them to other good earphones.

For something that does present a very good, very realistic and life like sound but is also geared more dynamically and fun, I would kind of point you towards Denon's C751. You will get a great realism in sound and vocals, more dynamics, zero need for amping, and a little more fun factor with more bass emphasis and a hair more treble emphasis. You get a full, fun to listen to sound with a lot of realism in sound and presentation.

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 17
If you don't mind buying second hand (or if you're extremely lucky with retailers), I'd recommend the Sennheiser IE7 or IE8. They're very warm and bassy. The Westone 3s are also pretty good.

But those are top end earphones which you may still have to stretch your budget for to get second hand.

Aug 27, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 17
If you like AKG and Audio Technica sound, I think you'll really enjoy the Phonak Audeo PFE's. They're coming out with a new version with improved materials soon I believe, so keep that in your radar.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #10 of 17
If W750 uses FastPort as many others in the W-series, you might want to consider short-cabled ones to pair with the stock Sony Ericsson adaptor. The cable length, I feel, is a pain.

Aug 27, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #12 of 17
The turbines are much too muddy in the mids and highs for me. As already mentioned, I'd recommend the Phonak Audeo PFE's are probably the best in that price range, IMO.

People have thrown some of the top enders out there, but those would blow your budget, and I'm not sure how you feel about buying used. The Phonak Audeo's are amazing for the price, and don't fall too far behind universal IEM's that cost almost 3 times as much.

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #13 of 17
I bought the Denon because although my budget was £150, really I do not listen to music very much outside. So I think a lower priced earphone is more sensible. I'm sure it will be good enough for me.

Sep 1, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #14 of 17
First impressions are of good clarity and tight deep bass. I like it
smily_headphones1.gif

The only down point is a strong and obvious upper midrange peak. Maybe around 4-8KHz. It makes things quite hard sounding. I've run them in for about 10 hours. Maybe it will improve with more time, but I get the impression it a character of the 'phones.

I'm pleased and disappointed at the same time. The quality is superb for the money, but the frequency response is obviously a bit peaky. If they could fix that peak they would be a bargain!

Still, putting them on my mobile rather than my M-Audio external soundcard they sound immediately worse so obviously it isn't worth worrying about it!! In a way, for me that's a good thing because it stops me worrying about it, and they still sound a lot better than what I had.

Thanks for the suggestions!

By the way, I picked these up in France, they sound like crap, but they look so cool!!

dsc0004npn.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back