recommend an amp
Dec 26, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #16 of 18
Anyone know what those Presonus HP-4 headphone amps are like? 120mw is more powerful than the 20mw amp in the EMU 0404 but not sure which impedance EMU is measuring at because their website doesn't say. I think Presonus is 120mw@50ohm. Link below says 150mw but thought I read 120mw elsewhere. It has 4 headphone outs at 120mw each. Never heard one but looks interesting and is only $139.95 CAD. In the U.S. you can get it for about $100.00 or a bit less.

PreSonus HP-4 [15554] : Steve's Music Store - Guitars, Drums, Keyboards, Recording, PA, etc...

Friend bought Auzentech Amon and they say their amp is 60mw but I listened to it last night and it has less power than then EMU 0404 so obviouly they are using a different impedance standard. What is the standard for headphone amps anyway? I thought it was @300ohm but obviously very few use that in their specs. MOst don't even list at what impedance. It's like the whole BS thing with crap computer speakers where they say a whopping 200w but neglect to list the impedance they used for that measurement.

Jan 5, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #17 of 18
I'm using a Fubar III with my Sennheiser HD 650's. The sound is great and I'm really enjoying myself with it.

I'm also using the Power Supplier Unit which adds significantly to the sound quality.

Jan 8, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #18 of 18
X2 on the Corda Arietta or maybe a used HeadFive. Both are great for the money. If you're sound card isn't that great, you would probably be better off investing in a DAC with an integrated headamp like the Zero.. you could also consider the EMU 0404 USB which sounds great and is well within your budget, or the new Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard which is a solid source with a decent integrated headamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back