Recommend an amp to a newb
Aug 28, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #16 of 21
many people actually hate how it sounds unamped.. but if u like the sound already, you'll be in love with them after your dac/amp comes
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #17 of 21
I just got a Heed CanAmp from a member here and couldn't be happier with the way it mates with my K701. Tight, authoritative bass, great upper register, excellent soundstaging, etc. I listen to mostly jazz with an emphasis on acoustic music, especially upright bass.

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #18 of 21
Some (crappy) pics, as promised:

img1532y.jpg

img1534w.jpg

img1539g.jpg

img1540.jpg

Just got my EF-1 in yesterday, and after some help from SkyLab, was up and running. I'm VERY pleased.... the sound is fantastic. The bass does not overpower, but it's still tight and punchy. You'll also notice that Head Direct removed the text from the cover. Makes everything a bit cleaner, imho. That's probably old news, of course. The tube adds a bit of liquidity to the whole experience. Unfortunately, it's made me realize how crappy Youtube is as a source. Oh, well.

I'd say I'm set, although I may pick up a Blue Dragon cable for my K702s at some point. Thanks again for all your help and input. One more question. Head Direct lists the tube as a "Sylvania 12AU7". Would I get a noticeable improvement by purchasing a different tube? If so, what would you recommend?

Thanks!

Oct 17, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #19 of 21
I'd say that the headphones are broken in adequately now. Extremely pleased with the sound quality. I am now looking for an upgrade or two. I'm interested in purchasing a new headphone cable. I'm deciding between double helix cables or Moon Audio's Blue Dragon line. Any noticeable improvement? I see that you can also get custom RCA cables (if I used the correct term). Again, is there any discernible improvement in sound quality?

Lastly, I've been thinking of upgrading my FUBAR II DAC. A DAC seems pretty simple. Again, will purchasing a more expensive DAC (IE Headroom, etc) improve anything?

Sorry for the multitude of questions, and thanks for any help

Oct 18, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #20 of 21
When I got my K-702s with the EF1 I got a really good deal for a Stefan Audio Art Equinox Cable which retails for $250 and I hardly heard a difference. I think cables only make a difference once you get into the $500-$1000 amps and DACs. I'd highly recommend you to save you're money for now on the cables. And for tubes, I'd recommend you try some cheap ones first and see if you can hear any difference.

Oct 18, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #21 of 21
Thanks for your response. What you say makes sense. I can't really see $200 cables being feasible until my other gear is a bit more high end.

I suppose I'll save my money for a new DAC (if there's any benefit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back