recommend active speaker
Jan 27, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 11
$288 for these:

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/m200mkiii

I absolutely love them!

Jan 28, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #3 of 11
I can also vouch for @winders recommendation. I owned a pair of these at one point. Sold them off for an upgrade.

They are a great of monitors; you're getting a lot of bang for you buck. I remember them being easy to listen to, no harsh highs, very smooth and musical.

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #4 of 11
I would look into some front ported active monitor speakers such as KRK RP6's or perhaps something from presonus eve-audio or ADAM, you will want front ported as you are placing them close to a wall.  In my experience you get what you pay for, so spend as much as you can afford, IF you already have a dac or audio interface.  If you also need some form of DAC then I would put aside 15-20% of your total budget on that first, and dont forget you will probably want isolation pads to reduce and vibrations.

I am in EU and usually shop at either scan.co.uk or thomann.de if I cant get things through my nearest store which is a company called DV247.   If in the states I hear plenty of recommendations for sweetwater.com 

I would suggest looking for a local pro-audio store that you can visit if at all possible, as you will not only get great advice but you can actually demo before you buy.

HTH

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 11
http://www.head-fi.org/t/484397/review-swan-m200mkiii-updated-impressions

At $288 they are a steal!

Jan 28, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 11
I don't have any experience with the F5s, but I did own a pair of A5Xs.
Here's a review comparing them both. FYI Adam's ribbon tweeters are very sensitive to your listening position.

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #9 of 11
  $500 would be just pair of speaker, will get preamp later.

anyone heard of vanatoo T1?  or presonus eris or Adam F5 series or Focal Alpha

My impressions of a couple you listed:

Focal Alpha 50 is a average monitor IMO, seemed to be well constructed and has a nice modern look.  Sound is a little "average" in terms of detail and extension, to me its just not up to scratch compared to other similar products in this price range.  The alpha 65 copes much better but is larger and more money, but still I would not buy them.

ADAM F5 is again ok, but really its more accurate and detailed than the focal 50 so I would take a punt on this if I needed some new low cost monitors.  Pretty good value for money, but like another poster said that ribbon tweeter is very directional, and once you move from the sweet spot you will find the high's vanishing behind the mids and bass.  I would like to see a sub added to the F-series as not everyone has space for the F7's which are much better in every aspect.  I personally find the adam ribbon tweeter pretty fatiguing, and after 2-3hrs it starts to wear on me.  This is probably why I return to my KRK's for more relaxed listening as I can have them on all day with no problem, but not ideal for recording/mixing as they are not as accurate as the ADAM a7x.

Some general advice on monitors, 5" main drivers will always struggle with the low end and its probably better to try and find a 6" driver or maybe a smaller main driver unit and a sub.  

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #11 of 11
  seem a lot ppl on here like hivi m200kmii,  is it really that good compare to some other brand such as JBL lsr305

JBL is more accurate but consumer bi-amped speakers are more convenient to use: BT, all amps in one Master speaker (the other is a passive Slave) so you get volume control there (plus also a single knob to affect the balance of the tweeter vs the midwoofer amps), wood finish more at home in living room for example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back