Recommend a USB DAC with Optical in & Line out?
Nov 15, 2008 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

The-One

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys:

I'm looking for a UBS DAC with Optical in & Line out in preparation for the following use.

Laptop + DAC using USB out
Xbox 360 + DAC using Optical out (there's a 360 dongle for this)

DAC + Subwoofer + Nearfield monitors using Line out to the Sub's line in, then Sub to Nearfields using Sub's Line out.

Both the Sub and Nearfields are active/powered, the Sub will handle the 80hz crossover & RCA cables needed to connect to Sub & Nearfields.

Lastly, DAC + headphone out to IEMs.

I'm thinking an Emu 0404 USB could do all of the above? Please tell me if I'm wrong; also can you recommend any other products?

Oh yeah, one last little thing, both the Sub & Nearfields are able to accept XLR in, Sub can also XLR out. So any DACs using XLR out would also be fine.

Nov 16, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 9
I highly recommend the Red Wine Audio Isabellina.
Battery operated DAC, with USB, TOSLINK and BNC input. RCA outputs

Nov 19, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 9
Maybe a bit more that you're looking to spend, but the Benchmark DAC1 USB abd DAC1 PRE would fill your requirements. I have a DAC1 PRE; the USB support is excellent, plug-and-play (with my XP laptop), supports 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96 KHz at both 16 and 24 bits via USB; 28-196 KHz at up to 24 bits via the other inputs. It also has a front-panel level contol and headphone jacks.

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 9
Might also take a look at the ultra micro DAC or micro dac from headroom, they have usb, optical, and mini coaxial inputs and a 1/8th line out. The ultra micro sounds awesome and the micro sounds quite nice also. The inputs are on switches on the front panel.

Dave

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #6 of 9
What active monitors are you using? I had a similar setup with Benchmark DAC1 and the Mackies (is it 7xx something or other model number can't remember). It was a very accurate but somewhat tiresome sound. Also it didn't soundstage very well.

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #7 of 9
Apogee Mini-DAC is another option.. has everything you listed and in fact I'm doing the exact thing as you, except I'm using the DAC's XLR outs to my monitors rather than going through the sub.

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 9
thanks for all the posts. However most of the suggestions are either too expensive or troublesome to ship.

But I'm either going to get a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic (2008) or originally emu 0404 I think. the former is priced at £200 & latter £150. CA has XLR out but no headphone out like emu.

out of interest, ceterus paribus, will XLR sound better than RCA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back