Recommend a tube headphone amp for my Grados
Dec 17, 2014 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Bakerman

New Head-Fier
Howdy,

Long time lurker here, first time post.

I have a B&K Pro 10 Pre-amp that has a headphone jack that quit working. I want to get a tube headphone amp for UNDER $300.
The headphones I currently have are Grado SR125's ( love them). .  So I was hoping you in the know could steer me toward a decent headphone amp that will run thru my set up and pair nicely with the Grado's. I listen to vinyl mostly with a CD listen once in a while.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am currently leaning toward the Bellari VP130, with the understanding the wall wart will need to be replaced. However I know nothing about tube amps or headphone amps so your input is important for me to purchase something decent.

Thank you for your help.

Bakerman

Dec 18, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #3 of 10
The "amp" in question is indeed a Pre-amp. It is a B&K Pro10 and the only thing wrong with it is the headphone jack has quit. I have Deoxit the jack and checked the soldering points and it looks okay, but it still is not working.

So I am trying to find a headphone amp ( tube) so I can listen without disturbing anyone else.

The pre amp is paired with a B&K 200 amplifier. My headphones currently are Grado SR125e's.

What I am hoping for is advice in my purchase for a tube headphone amp. I have been searching and just getting more confused.
My price limit is $300, maybe I will get some better phones in the future.

FWIW I am strictly an analog user. No desktop audio. Not a snob just don't use digital files except for iTouch listening in my car.

Thorens TD150 >B&K Pro 10 > B&K 200 2ch amp> B&W 602 Sorrento............ my chair

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 10
The challenge is that your can is rated at 32 Ohms and can be used unamped from low powered portable devices.  Most pure tube amps are designed to drive cans with much higher Ohm ratings.  If you can stretch your budget by $50, take a look at the Schiit Valhalla 2.  It's not designed for power and has a hi/low gain selector.

Also take a look at what Little Dot has to offer.

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 10
Grado's are only 32-Ohms, so a tube amplifier may not be a good match, so either a solid state or hybrid (tube/solid state) would be recommended.

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #6 of 10
  The challenge is that your can is rated at 32 Ohms and can be used unamped from low powered portable devices.  Most pure tube amps are designed to drive cans with much higher Ohm ratings.  If you can stretch your budget by $50, take a look at the Schiit Valhalla 2.  It's not designed for power and has a hi/low gain selector.

Also take a look at what Little Dot has to offer.

KG Jag,

Thanks I am considering the Valhalla 2 it looks like it's gettin favorable reviews. I may have to invest in some better phones. Beyer Dynamics and Sennheiser seem to match up well. However I will not be able to spend $1000 on a pair of headphones regardless of the reviews.

Thanks for the reply.
SB

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #7 of 10
  Grado's are only 32-Ohms, so a tube amplifier may not be a good match, so either a solid state or hybrid (tube/solid state) would be recommended.

Purple Angel, thanks for the reply, yes I realize they are not the best but I got a sweet deal on them a few years back and they do sound okay. I will probably get something better in a while. I've got to pool my resources together to get through Christmas, afterwards I will be scouring the web for a good/ great set of phones. Beyer Dynamics and Sennheiser seem to be favoured.

FWIW I am going with tubes. I have not experienced them myself and I really am interested in moving in that direction.

SB

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #8 of 10
Little Dot Mk. III / Voskhod driver tubes / Sennheiser HD600 should do the trick...

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #9 of 10
Okay thanks for all the suggestions. I did some research and was VERY pleased to find that my headphone jack is tied into the mute switch on my amp. The mute switch is the POWER switch. That is why my headphone would not work, the preamp needs to be turned "off" for the signal to re-rout through the headphone jack.

I'm not bragging or anything but my level of stupidity is a gift.

I  am now searching for some really good headphones, I think I will either sell the Grados or use them with my guitar amp.

Beyer Dynamic DT880's look like a nice upgrade. Not sure what version I should get.

The 600 Ohm would probably be best since I doubt if I will use them on a portable source. Eventually get myself a tube amp.

Anyway thanks for the input.

Bakerman

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #10 of 10
Either 600 or 250 ohm would be good.

600 ohm may raise some compatibility issues in the future though (but most good OTLs should be fine).

Don't forget to try the HD600, though (300 ohm).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back