recommend a sound for enjoying music..Please..Thanks
Nov 27, 2004 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dawn777

Head-Fier
Please, Recommend a sound card for enjoying music at MY PC, and I do not want to buy an amp with it now, so the sound card should be both good timbre and powerful output in order to drive My MS-1 enough.

Which One is the fitest for enjoying music....

Tell me the Brand and model..Please..

Thanks again

Nov 27, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
How much are you looking to spend, and how well do you want it to scale with your system?

the spending of sound card should be under $100, I think

How about get an amp for my MS-2? Whether is it more worthful than buy a more expensive sound card?

Which amp has the good performance/price ratio? How much is it?
Tell me the brand and model, please!

Thanks again

Nov 27, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 8
The best card under $100 is the e-mu 0404. The chaintech av710 is also a good value. An amp would be better for both cards, especially the 0404.

Nov 28, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
The best card under $100 is the e-mu 0404. The chaintech av710 is also a good value. An amp would be better for both cards, especially the 0404.

Thanks for your response

Could you recommand me a amp under $150 with better performance/price ratio?

Thanks again

Nov 28, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #7 of 8
Go with the AV710, save a 'lil, invest in a Pimeta.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2004 at 8:44 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevC
Go with the AV710, save a 'lil, invest in a Pimeta.
smily_headphones1.gif

That strikes me as poor advice tbh. I'd guarantee that a Headsave Classic + EMU 0404 will sound better than a Pimeta + AV710.

Edited to add, Imyourzero posted impressions about the EMU 0404 that explains exactly why I think that is poor advice in a nutshell, I hope he doesnt mind me quoting...

Quote:

After reading some more thoughts on the 0404 by buyers on this site, I was very much looking forward to hearing it. This card is frequently described as having 1212m-like detail, but being more dynamic/punchy/aggressive than the more laid-back/neutral/"lifeless" 1212m. The card I bought was a lightly used one on eBay, so it should be at least somewhat burned in by now and so far I can definitely attest to those same impressions. This card makes the AV-710 sound flat, lifeless, and somewhat dull. It has the warmth of the Audigy 2 but adds much more detail and transparency. If this is how music is supposed to sound, it's GOOOOD. I'm not sure at this point whether the 0404 is colored or the AV-710 is just on the lean side of neutral, but the 0404 definitely has more bass and punch in the low end which makes for a more involving, musical experience. And I haven't even touched the EQ yet. I was able to instantly tell a difference from the AV-710 and Audigy 2, so that's a very good sign. Many times (as evidenced by some of the headphone amp threads), a user is unable to detect the improvement intially and is only able to realize the difference after listenting to music for a week or more and then switching back to the prior listening conditions/environment. I have a feeling that if I noticed a difference this quickly, the difference would be massive if I switched from the 0404 to the AV-710 or Audigy 2 a few weeks from now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back