Recommend a pair of headphones to use at work?
Aug 9, 2007 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MTsoul

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm a happy HD-580 owner, but unforunately it doesn't quite fit me at work. I work in an office, and the AC and people typing are quite loud. Is there a pair of headphones that blocks noise quite nicely, is less than $200 or so, and has a nice sound to it (for hiphop / rnb anyway)? I won't be needing precision sound while working. I'd prefer circumaural since I'm prety used to the HD-580, but I'd like to give supra-aural a try.

I won't be using an amp - just an on-board sound card from Dell...

All suggestions and advantages/disadvantages of each pair of cans welcome! Thanks!

Aug 9, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MTsoul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I'm a happy HD-580 owner, but unforunately it doesn't quite fit me at work. I work in an office, and the AC and people typing are quite loud. Is there a pair of headphones that blocks noise quite nicely, is less than $200 or so, and has a nice sound to it (for hiphop / rnb anyway)? I won't be needing precision sound while working. I'd prefer circumaural since I'm prety used to the HD-580, but I'd like to give supra-aural a try.

I won't be using an amp - just an on-board sound card from Dell...

All suggestions and advantages/disadvantages of each pair of cans welcome! Thanks!

K518DJ

Aug 9, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #3 of 10
Audio-Technica a900. No experience with them personally, but they would be worth checking out based on your criteria.

Aug 9, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #4 of 10
"I'd prefer circumaural since I'm prety used to the HD-580, but I'd like to give supra-aural a try."

Supr-aural could be fatiguing after a while ... not sonically, but physically. The clamping might get to be uncomfortable. Do you have a large head? Are you going to be wearing them hours at a time?

Here's where I insert the obligatory "what about IEMs or canal phones?" wording -- portable, low-profile, and good isolation. There are some "open" canal phones that enable you to hear some of what's going on (V-Moda Vibes, to name just one of several), if you don't want greater IEM isolation. Otherwise, you would probably want a closed around-the-ear headphone.

Aug 9, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 10
I had er6i's that caused me to develop an earwax blockage. That was scary. I had to go to the doctor and have him clean out my ears and I use Q tips everyday to clean my outer ears with. That scared me to the point of not ever thinking of getting inner ear phones again.

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 10
I'm actually using a pair of Sony Fontopia earbuds right now, which strains my ears a bit after a while. So I guess around the ear then?

I checked out a900 - it's quite big eh? Is there anything that's a bit smaller/compact? People walking by will think I look like an alien
600smile.gif

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming!

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MTsoul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm actually using a pair of Sony Fontopia earbuds right now, which strains my ears a bit after a while. So I guess around the ear then?

I checked out a900 - it's quite big eh? Is there anything that's a bit smaller/compact? People walking by will think I look like an alien
600smile.gif

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming!

That's ok. I wear my K701 in my office plenty of times.

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 10
if you're a senn man you could try the hd280, however comfort may be a factor.

I perasonally have noticed that if you stretch out the headband a bit its not too hard on the side of your head. I did notice uncomfort when I first started wearing them however.

Also they'll be pretty light on your wallet and are extremely isolating. Keep in mind though that they are an extremely neutral phone, which most people don't find as fun to listen to.

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 10
Oh nice the HD280 looks and seems about right, except that I do indeed have a rather large head.
frown.gif
I should go to a store and try them on...

Aren't the K701s open?

Aug 9, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 10
The implication was that he did not look like an alien to people even with k701s on his head =]

With A900 people won't think you are an alien, they will think 'those are some damn nice headphones, where do I get me a pair.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back