Recommend a newbie some new closed-cans!
Dec 8, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #31 of 47
I've been using the Audinst HUD-MX1 with my Shure 840s for a few months now and really like it. Granted the Shures only have an impedance around 40 ohms, but they sound excellent with the Audinst - wider soundstage both vertically and horizontally, better instrument separation, fuller sounding. For $179, the Audinst is a real nice combo system.

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #32 of 47

Quote:
I've been using the Audinst HUD-MX1 with my Shure 840s for a few months now and really like it. Granted the Shures only have an impedance around 40 ohms, but they sound excellent with the Audinst - wider soundstage both vertically and horizontally, better instrument separation, fuller sounding. For $179, the Audinst is a real nice combo system.

Thanks for the recommendation! I might spring for a more expensive headphone, so that would leave me headroom. Considering I'm almost defaulting to the DT770 right now, I really wish the D2000 was available. I'm even considering the DT 150.

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #33 of 47
Would anyone suggest the D5000? I found them for around $450. I can swing it, but I'll have to invest in an AMP/DAC combo at a later date. Although from all the rage reviews I'm reading, it might be worth it. Thoughts?

Dec 8, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #34 of 47

Quote:
Would anyone suggest the D5000? I found them for around $450. I can swing it, but I'll have to invest in an AMP/DAC combo at a later date. Although from all the rage reviews I'm reading, it might be worth it. Thoughts?

I can't really speak to the D5000, but I've own the D2000 and have A/B'd with the D7000.

Both are great products.  I noticed a lot more detail obviously with the D7000, and if I remember right, the D2000 and the D5000 share the same driver, which should make them sound similar.

I guess my advice would be perhaps shoot for the D7000 if you can.  It's a jump in quality for sure.

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #35 of 47

Quote:
I can't really speak to the D5000, but I've own the D2000 and have A/B'd with the D7000.

Both are great products.  I noticed a lot more detail obviously with the D7000, and if I remember right, the D2000 and the D5000 share the same driver, which should make them sound similar.

I guess my advice would be perhaps shoot for the D7000 if you can.  It's a jump in quality for sure.

There's no way I can spring for those. I'd love to, but I also have to comment that my ears are not yet trained enough to notice that difference. I've sprung far enough for the D5000. Since they're such low impedance, I'm hoping I can get away with picking up a cheap(er) DAC/AMP, like the uDac or something.

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #36 of 47
Be sure to listen to the Denons. They are very nice cans, but not to everybody's liking. 

I have D2000 and I think they are very nice for movies (nice bass!) and maybe games (I don't play much).

As for music, they have too overwhelming bass for me and not clear enough treble. Maybe it is an amping/DAC issue.
The Denons also don't have too big soundstage - they sound quite direct and the electronica you might want more air, space, speed.
Denons have very nice weight to the sound and they are smooth sounding - but probably too smooth for electronic or rock music.

Listen to them before deciding to purchase! That's the most important thing! Compare them to some other headphones that are recommended here by other people (Shure, Beyers, etc)

Good luck!

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #37 of 47
BTW, I have compared D2000 to D5000 and D7000 and although the higher models sound better, the sound characteristics of all of them remains the same, so again be sure to listen and check if you like their characteristics!

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #38 of 47

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation! I might spring for a more expensive headphone, so that would leave me headroom. Considering I'm almost defaulting to the DT770 right now, I really wish the D2000 was available. I'm even considering the DT 150.

Quote:

I recommend that you listen to the new (relatively new) top of the line Sony MDR Z1000.

They're very, very good headphones. 

For several months up until very recently, every dealer was asking the same price for them - $499, which is list.
But I about a month ago I saw an AD had them for about $325, and I bit.

Been listening to them pretty much daily since.

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #39 of 47

Quote:
BTW, I have compared D2000 to D5000 and D7000 and although the higher models sound better, the sound characteristics of all of them remains the same, so again be sure to listen and check if you like their characteristics!

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately I can't try any high-end headphones, since there's no stores by me that offers them. I'm basing this all on hear-say. Kinda funny considering I live 40 minutes from New York City. :)

EDIT: What would your recommendation be for a nice detailed headphone for electronica, rock, and some gaming? They must be closed, and price can go up to $500 if need-be.

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #40 of 47

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately I can't try any high-end headphones, since there's no stores by me that offers them. I'm basing this all on hear-say. Kinda funny considering I live 40 minutes from New York City. :)

How's about taking a trip to the City?  You can listen to a bunch of headphones and make your purchase all in the same day. :)

Dec 8, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #41 of 47

Quote:
How's about taking a trip to the City?  You can listen to a bunch of headphones and make your purchase all in the same day. :)

Exactly! I would strongly recommend you doing what zazex suggests!

Dec 8, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #42 of 47
LOL - I was going to shoot that idea down due to laziness but I just thought how great it would be. I can also pacify my girlfriend's desire to "go see the tree". Two birds with one stone!

Dec 8, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #43 of 47

Quote:
EDIT: What would your recommendation be for a nice detailed headphone for electronica, rock, and some gaming? They must be closed, and price can go up to $500 if need-be.

I would like to be able to help you, but I haven't heard enough headphones to recommend you something reliably.
I have Audio-Technica W5000 (which are a bit more than $500) and I really really like them now. But it has been a long long way for me to get the full potential of this headphone as it is a very capricious as for the whole audio chain. Some people like it even out of an iPod, so if you have a chance to audition it, give it try, too! It's a fast, dynamic, airy headphone, however I must admit it sounds 10x better with a proper transport, DAC and amp.

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #45 of 47

Quote:

Ultrasone Pro900 with a D12.

That's what I'm trying to sell my stuff to get lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back