Recommend a "K701 with more bass"
Aug 25, 2009 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
I listen mostly to classic rock music and metal, but a little bit of everything.

My old HF-1s: GREAT for guitar rock, decent bass as I remember, but harsh highs and unergonomic/flimsy design was fatiguing for long listening/movies.

My K701s I traded them for: Smoother detailed sound is less fatiguing, much more comfortable on the head, not very great for guitars, not enough bass extension for certain genres of music.

I'm trading or selling my K701s. I would be happy with the K701s if they just had more bass. Listening to electronica on them is just not getting it done. Some notes just don't play. They do sound nice and detailed. If I could make them sound just like the HF-1s I would take that, but I don't think I want another Grado because I don't like their design. I'll be listening to my KSC75s for a while; they don't have a lot of bass either but they have a bit more of that upfront sound for guitars back.

So, recommend a detailed yet bassy headphone, under $250

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 25
When you find them, let me know. The weakness to the K 701/702 is lack of sub bass. I don't like listening too loudly, so I miss some of the bass. I have other headphones that are pretty balanced and definitely have bass, but they lack the detail, separation, and soundstage width of the AKG.

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #5 of 25
The K701 without all of the strange sicknesses that make them sound rong is the HD600.

The HD600 that's god somethign wrong with it that makes things sound all wrong is the K701.

Try the HD600.

Aug 25, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 25
I've always felt that the k701 has had plenty of bass presence, but it is very tight and controlled, so the impact feels lessened. That is most obvious on the lowest frequencies because bass on other headphones is least controlled and boomiest there.

Aug 25, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always felt that the k701 has had plenty of bass presence, but it is very tight and controlled, so the impact feels lessened. That is most obvious on the lowest frequencies because bass on other headphones is least controlled and boomiest there.

I think it depends on the recording. There are times when the K 701 bass sounds great, but overall, compared to a sampling of headphones and speakers the bass sounds a little lean. It is tight and controlled though.

Aug 25, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #10 of 25
8.35 D Monitors

Aug 25, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #11 of 25
I had some long listening sessions with the K701 and HD600 on my desk rig (see sig) ... well, as you can see, I preferred the HD600, but not because it has a bigger soundstage or better detail or better treble, because the K701 wins hands down in those categories. Just a preference of sound signature and of course, bass response. I would go so far as to say that the K701 actually reaches lower than the HD600, but the fact is, the lack of impact/definition makes it seem like the sub bass is not there ... even though it is. Technically, I would say K701 is the superior headphone, but since I am not an analytical listener, just a casual listener 90% of the time, I went with the HD600.

Aug 25, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #13 of 25
Why not try K601? They had much more bass than K701 if I remember correctly.

Aug 25, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12thgear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you find them, let me know. The weakness to the K 701/702 is lack of sub bass. I don't like listening too loudly, so I miss some of the bass. I have other headphones that are pretty balanced and definitely have bass, but they lack the detail, separation, and soundstage width of the AKG.

They do have a very good sub, a nice SS amp can help with the punch.

Aug 25, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #15 of 25
See if you can try a pair of normal bias Stax Lambdas. Great detail and clarity, tone, balance and soundstage. More satisfying bass than the K701 in my opinion. I owned the 701 for about 3 years (underamped, admittedly), and the Lambdas are easily a few steps up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back