Recommend a headphone (grados sr60/senns hd497 price range)
Oct 10, 2005 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Necroist

100+ Head-Fier
I used to own a senns hd497 which broke a couple of months ago. Since then, I've been slowly saving up abit of cash each month and I guess its about time to get myself a new headphones.

What headphones would you guys recommend for that kind of price range?

Oct 10, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 8
well you already had a pair of 497, did you like the sound? If you liked it, stick with it, but if you noticed some areas you wanted the cans to improve in, let us know what they are and we can help you out with reccomendations

Oct 10, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 8
If one side (left or right) went out and then the other-- your headphones are probably not broken, the cable needs to be replaced. I made the mistake of thinking that my headphones were broken. Such a fool I was, I bought new 497s and tossed the other ones in the trash.

Still if you look around online you should be able to pick up the 497s for $30-40, or the 201s for under $20. What type of music do you listen to with them? And is this for portable use or home use? Do you have an amp?

Oct 12, 2005 at 10:51 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mahlerfan
If one side (left or right) went out and then the other-- your headphones are probably not broken, the cable needs to be replaced. I made the mistake of thinking that my headphones were broken. Such a fool I was, I bought new 497s and tossed the other ones in the trash.

Still if you look around online you should be able to pick up the 497s for $30-40, or the 201s for under $20. What type of music do you listen to with them? And is this for portable use or home use? Do you have an amp?

My I changed my cables twice on my HD497. They both became faulty in two seperate incidents.

I listen mostly to electronica/rock/some pop/classics and its for home use. Don't have an amp yet ;(

Is the HD555 worth the investment? How much better are they?

Oct 12, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm sure Sennheiser takes pride in their crappy cables!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 12, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necroist
I listen mostly to electronica/rock/some pop/classics and its for home use. Don't have an amp yet ;(

Is the HD555 worth the investment? How much better are they?

AFAIK the HD555 retains the same basic sound signature but is an upgrade in every other regard (except for portability) - soundstage, mids quality and whatnot. A search should turn up some comparisons. It is usually regarded a fairly good value, even more so over here compared to the States. In the sub-$100 price bracket, I'd also look out for the HD485 and particularly AKG K240S (AKG has some good pricing over the pond). Grados supposedly sound too thin on classical music, understandably so if you look at their frequency response.

Oct 12, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #8 of 8
SR60... hands down.. unamped.

Add the K240s to your list of considerations if theres any chance of an amp upgrade in your future.

Tough choice, between the 2 I'd pick the SR60 by a narrow margin, givin my musical preferences. The K240s though is SOOO smooth and SUPER comfey.

Cant go wrong with either really
Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back