recommend a DIY amp for HD650
Oct 23, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #16 of 48
hi PCwork,

yes, i was talking about your symphonica. but Lavry is WAY out of my budget so I need a replacement for it....possible a DIY amp because if it requires soldering skills + a guide only, i think i could pull it off. of course we can discuss first.

from my past listening experience, amp is always > afterwork cable but since you said its different, then we must talk =) i will try to go today.

Oct 24, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #17 of 48

Quote:
quest5692 , if your after market cable means the symphonica cable.
then i will suggest you to at least talk to me/  jaben malaysia first.
it is kinda different from usual characteristic matching of HD650 imho.
as i had mentioned, that expensive amp doesn't actually make it sounds better.
but Hippo amp  / Govibe PPK / Lavry DA-11 both drive it to reasonable performance. compared to pico / centrance DACPort / hifi man amp/ yamamoto amp.

instead of getting expensive amp. might the performance not even as good as driving from govibe ppk amp. that amp has a good synergy with HD650 symphonica system.

PC work, this is not a forum for you to accost and discourage someone looking to build something great himself by offering him something from your store. and you must be joking that hippo amp or govibe measures up to beta22 or similar in the slightest. this area in particular is a vendor free zone, any vendors that are posting here are either here to learn or to share knowledge, not to flog your wares, thus the forum title 'DIY discussions'

to questa: yes, a good part of your performance you heard in DA11 is due to the very good dac, building B22 will not get you to this level of performance on its own IMO. I recommend checking out the Gamma2 dac and teaming this with a M3, dynalo or EHHA. if you are able to do without a very special case, or have the skills and workshop to make one yourself, this will save you a good amount of money.

it is possible to make transportable version (amp section power slightly reduced, but still perfectly useable with HD650), but not really in your budget and not at your level of knowledge

Oct 24, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #18 of 48

Quote:

PC work, this is not a forum for you to accost and discourage someone looking to build something great himself by offering him something from your store. and you must be joking that hippo amp or govibe measures up to beta22 or similar in the slightest. this area in particular is a vendor free zone, any vendors that are posting here are either here to learn or to share knowledge, not to flog your wares, thus the forum title 'DIY discussions'

to questa: yes, a good part of your performance you heard in DA11 is due to the very good dac, building B22 will not get you to this level of performance on its own IMO. I recommend checking out the Gamma2 dac and teaming this with a M3, dynalo or EHHA. if you are able to do without a very special case, or have the skills and workshop to make one yourself, this will save you a good amount of money.

it is possible to make transportable version (amp section power slightly reduced, but still perfectly useable with HD650), but not really in your budget and not at your level of knowledge

hold your horse dude. you don't have to get so heat up about this. if you read my post carefully, you will see that I DIDN"T STOP HIM FROM BUILDING HIS AMP.
i was asking him at LEAST talk to me in order to test the cable FIRST, before even judge what kind of amp / characteristic that he wished to built. be it a TUBE amp or SOLID STATE.

how can you be so sure that BETA22 will be a good / perfect match? while you never hear the specific cable + headphone combo first?
i advice him to HEAR the cable first if he intended to match them up. in order to find the most suitable characteristic of the amp. be it slow, fast, good PRaT, ect ect ect.hear first, judge then, and choose the best match possible he would like to built.

i am the maker of the cable, and i don't sell it by myself, i just pass it through some shop to handle all the marketing stuff. practically, he is building an amp or not doesn't stop him from buying my cable. why shall i stop him from built his own amp?

Oct 24, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #19 of 48
[size=medium][size=13.0px]A cable is the least important device for matching a sound signature too, and is a silly idea, period. [/size][/size]

[size=medium][size=13.0px]The [/size][/size][size=12.0px]β22 and HD6XX’s is one of the best combos I’ve (many) people have heard. It’s design was inspired by the HD600’s in mind.[/size]

Sorry dude, as qusp said, the hippo amp or govibe would not compare to the β22, unless you’re deaf, insane or any other serious deficiencies, it’s silly to even put them in a the same sentence, completely different universes.

Oct 24, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #20 of 48
The consensus seems to be that the B22 is a damn fine amp for the HD650s, but how does the Bijou compare? I'm in a similar situation as the OP, but I also have a pair of Grados that I feel might benefit more from tubes than SS so it's a toss up

Oct 24, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #21 of 48

Quote:
The consensus seems to be that the B22 is a damn fine amp for the HD650s, but how does the Bijou compare? I'm in a similar situation as the OP, but I also have a pair of Grados that I feel might benefit more from tubes than SS so it's a toss up

That’s tough question, you’d really have to hear for yourself.

I prefer the HD650’s with the β22 and HD800’s with the EHHA. I’ve never heard Bijou so I’ve no comment there, the β22 still gets my vote for the most neutral, which can be it’s undoing with transparent animals like the HD800 imo.

Oct 24, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #22 of 48
Never expected the topic get heated up. 

Beta22 is a well engineering amp, I put my full respect to the designer as I myself an graduate engineer in the first place.
I appreciate his contribution to the community and I believe most of us here do as well.

Great sound is about matching. One amp might suit a headphone very well but terrible for others. 
Same thing applied here, the cable is custom designed, it might or might not match with the Beta22 well.

If it doest not sound good, does it mean that Beta22 is bad? No. 
If it sound good on Hippo or GoVibe amp, why not?

I think we as DIYer, should be open minded and prepared to accept challenge by others.

I'm not biasing on any party. IMO, I think it's not fair to judge anything before hearing it by yourself.

Oct 25, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #23 of 48

[size=medium]Once again, when system matching forget the cable. If a cable is making a system sound bad believe me you have serious other issues.[/size]

A β22 is a reference class amplifier and it is silly to believe a Hippo or GoVibe amp will compare. The Hippo or GoVibe amp may sound nice amongst it’s own peers who knows.

I have been around here long enough to know how these amps perform, a small portable amp is not in the same class as the β22, they are not remotely close.

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #26 of 48

Quote:
slightly off topic but im curious, how does a ppa v2 stack up against the b22?

The ppa v2 is a great little headphone amp. It is a slightly older design and sound quality is probably closer to the CK²III and M³. Of these three, however, many prefer the the M³. The cost, design, and resulting sound of the β22 is at a higher level.

Nov 21, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #27 of 48
@quest5692:Hey there,I am from Malaysia too.
And I personally listened to this Symphonica cable as well.
I personally tried it with two devices,one is Hippo Gumstick and one is Lavry DA-11.
Ok,frankly speaking,Lavry DA-11 impressed me a lot.
But what impressed me the most is the Hippo Gumstick with Symphonica-ed HD 650.
I think many people will generally agree that 650 does need a powerful amp to sound good.
But if I am telling you Hippo Gumstick can sound good with 650 just with that cable,would u believe it?
Try it urself..
And YES,I mean HIPPO GUMSTICK..
That's when PcWork told me that Gumstick can drive 650.
So without second doubt I will believe what he says.
It's just up to personal preference.
And IMHO,DAC is more important in this case.
Lavry alone is a very good dac,instead of an amp.
Why not you try to build a dac instead of an amp to replace Lavry since you stated your intention in your previous post?
Hope you will be a happy Symphonica user.

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #28 of 48
This is so hilarious LOL so has anyone here that claims a govibe or hippo gumstick paired with a cable can sound better or performs on par with a b22 ever heard a properly built b22 driving a pair of 650?

Nov 21, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #29 of 48

Quote:
But if I am telling you Hippo Gumstick can sound good with 650 just with that cable,would u believe it?
Try it urself..
And YES,I mean HIPPO GUMSTICK..
That's when PcWork told me that Gumstick can drive 650.
So without second doubt I will believe what he says.

this is even more hilarious so you agree that something sounds good because some one told you? instead of your own ears ? sounds like a cult victim to me lol

Nov 21, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #30 of 48
Ignore the cable believers. They are wrong.

Just going to add that I have a Minimax and it drives my 650s fine. Not as fine as some other amps, but it does a good job. But I haven't ever heard them driven by a more quality amp, so YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back