Recommend a DAC for this setup...
Jul 5, 2007 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

xcodeguy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

This is my first stab at a decent setup and am thinking perhaps I should invest in a better DAC for the optimum of what I have. I finally 'realize' what everyone means by synergy between each component and have found that overall. So keeping in mind synergy, the price of what I have invested thus far and quality - can anyone recommend some good non-portable DAC's?...and under ~ USD 700.00.

iMac-->MicroDAC USB-->WooAudio6-->RS-1
Oppo DV970-HD-->MicroDAC Tolink-->WooAudio6-->RS-1

(MicroDAC seems like a weak link here)

btw: the synergy between the WooAudio6 and the GRADO-RS-1 are very very nice. In fact I think the RS-1's sound amazing. I am slightly disappointed in the gain implementation. The Woo6 can barely drive my AKG-601...but keep in mind that I listen to the RS-1's at about 2~ 3 o'clock on the WA6 - so I may just be deaf...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by xcodeguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Woo6 can barely drive my AKG-601...but keep in mind that I listen to the RS-1's at about 2~ 3 o'clock on the WA6 - so I may just be deaf...
smily_headphones1.gif

Definitely deaf!
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

With that budget you should take a serious look at the Stello DA100. It might cost you a little more than $700 to your door (unless you can find it used), but it will be worth it.

BTW, doesn't the WA6 rock?! What rectifier are you using?

Jul 5, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely deaf!
blink.gif
biggrin.gif

With that budget you should take a serious look at the Stello DA100. It might cost you a little more than $700 to your door (unless you can find it used), but it will be worth it.

BTW, doesn't the WA6 rock?! What rectifier are you using?

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Yeah - it rocks! I can't compare to a whole lot but I think I have my feet wet enough to notice one huge major distinguishable thing: IT DOES NOT DISTORT - no matter what I throw at it...with the RS-1's. I got the WA6 with the 5U4 rectifier (the big one). I can't compare (tube wise) to anything else but what I have sure sounds good. In my outfit, acoustical guitar, metal and classical are through the roof and like having the whole gig right there in the room.

Jul 5, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 13
Benchmark USB
Lavry DA10
Apogee MiniDAC with or without Firewire
Stello DA100
Stello DA220 or the most recent edition
Grace 902 or 903

there is a thread called something like "all things DAC", just search for it. It has the pricing and links to manufacturers listed.

I use the Lavry DA10 between my Oppo and my Headphone amp at home.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 13
If you want to go further up the ladder check out the Chord64. This is one that I would move up to if I had the money. You can find this one with pictures around the forums here if you search. They are around 3k$ or a little more. Or if money was not an issue the Lavry Gold at about 8k$.

Jul 5, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 13
Lavry is excellent. I heard slwiser's Lavry at a meet I hosted. That would be one of the top choices for Grado cans.

Jul 5, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to go further up the ladder check out the Chord64. This is one that I would move up to if I had the money. You can find this one with pictures around the forums here if you search. They are around 3k$ or a little more. Or if money was not an issue the Lavry Gold at about 8k$.

LoL, only on Head-Fi. Guys ask for recommendations in the $700 price range and gets responses for $3K DACs!

Jul 5, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #9 of 13
Yea, isn't it great.

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #11 of 13
Jul 6, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LoL, only on Head-Fi. Guys ask for recommendations in the $700 price range and gets responses for $3K DACs!

lol. I like the recommendation though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #13 of 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back