Recommend a closed ear headphone between $200-300 USD for Trance/EDM/Ambient/Rock/Vocal source laptop and iphone 4
Oct 7, 2013 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Tsorovan

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Pretty frequent lurker here, y'all convinced me to go with a Grado SR80i and then an IE8 way back. 3-4 years down both are pretty much destroyed (partly because of rough treatment but I am changing my ways), and I am in the market for something new and hopefully improved.

I listen to a lot of bass heavy stuff, mainly Trance/EDM/Ambient/Rock/Vocal as mentioned in title. Sources are mainly my laptop and an iphone 4. I own a Nuforce Icon Mobile and a Darkvoice 336SE. The former I can use while commuting the latter while at my desk at home. As a sidenote, my Darkvoice seems to pick up all kinds of interference from my monitor/graphics card and I cant seem to get rid of it  - maybe stop using a DAC? Not sure.

Anyway, would love some good recommendations, excited to see what you think of.

-T

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 4
Hello and welcome!

A few suggestions: Ultrasone HFI-580/780. 

With the interference issue, are you still using onboard sound? a bit confused here. 

Oct 8, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 4
Yeah I am; I have the feed running from my laptop USB through my Nuforce DAC to my darkvoice and then to my speakers. When I remove the darkvoice from the equation the static stops. The noise is weird, it will only trigger when I refresh my screen or when there is something graphically intensive going on - it shrieks when I play games. That's why I think its from the GPU or monitor.

Checking out the 780 now, right in my price range so that's great. How do you think it compares to stuff like the DT770 or M50 in a similar price range?

Also, what are the main differences I should expect from an IEM like the IE8?

Thanks for responding!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back