Recommend a cheap headphone please.
Jan 6, 2014 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

simplemusic

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I have been lurking for about 3 months, and finally made an account!

I wanted to ask for someone to point me in the direction of a headphone that fits my needs.

1. I will be listening from a laptop or iPhone. No Amp.
2. I will be using it in libraries often, so cannot be very leaky. 
3. Noise cancellation would be great but doesn't need to be something seriously emphasized. We all know those people who won't stop talking! Also to block out other sounds interrupting me while studying!
4. A coiled or moderate length cord. Unnecessary long cords are quite annoying at times, and I have no use for them!
5. Over Ear or On-Ear, doesn't matter. As long as it fits requirements.
6. Under 80 Dollars
7. I primarily listen to Trap, Drum & Bass, Chillstep, Dubstep, Trance, and House. I love my bass, however I don't consider myself a bass-head.

I apologize if I come off as extremely picky, especially for little money I'm shoveling out. I am a college student and don't have much money to work with currently.

I appreciate any recommendations! Thank you your time :)

Jan 7, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 14
Hi,

You should consider Takstar HD5500 and HD6000. You can read and ask about them here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-thread

Best Luck!

Jan 7, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #6 of 14
  UE6000.  Great with bass and everything else.

Yep I second that! (although I don't have much experience with others)

1. I will be listening from a laptop or iPhone. No Amp. No problem ✔
2. I will be using it in libraries often, so cannot be very leaky. They only leak when listening at loud levels ✔
3. Noise cancellation would be great but doesn't need to be something seriously emphasized. We all know those people who won't stop talking! Also to block out other sounds interrupting me while studying! They have NC ✔ although with NC in general you won't be blocking out people talking around you. However these headphones have pretty good isolation when listening to music so you shouldn't have a problem ✔
4. A coiled or moderate length cord. Unnecessary long cords are quite annoying at times, and I have no use for them! Nice 3 ft cord with in-line mic that'll work with your iphone ✔
5. Over Ear or On-Ear, doesn't matter. As long as it fits requirements. Over Ear ✔
6. Under 80 Dollars Picked mine up for $75 shipped ✔
7. I primarily listen to Trap, Drum & Bass, Chillstep, Dubstep, Trance, and House. I love my bass, however I don't consider myself a bass-head. They are great headphones for listening to music with bass, but are not bass heavy either. ✔
When switching to NC mode you get an increase in bass and treble if you need it, but they sound great without it! ✔

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_4Kt5vKuls
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000

Jan 7, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #7 of 14

Yep I second that! (although I don't have much experience with others)

1. I will be listening from a laptop or iPhone. No Amp. No problem ✔
2. I will be using it in libraries often, so cannot be very leaky. They only leak when listening at loud levels ✔
3. Noise cancellation would be great but doesn't need to be something seriously emphasized. We all know those people who won't stop talking! Also to block out other sounds interrupting me while studying! They have NC ✔ although with NC in general you won't be blocking out people talking around you. However these headphones have pretty good isolation when listening to music so you shouldn't have a problem ✔
4. A coiled or moderate length cord. Unnecessary long cords are quite annoying at times, and I have no use for them! Nice 3 ft cord with in-line mic that'll work with your iphone ✔
5. Over Ear or On-Ear, doesn't matter. As long as it fits requirements. Over Ear ✔
6. Under 80 Dollars Picked mine up for $75 shipped ✔
7. I primarily listen to Trap, Drum & Bass, Chillstep, Dubstep, Trance, and House. I love my bass, however I don't consider myself a bass-head. They are great headphones for listening to music with bass, but are not bass heavy either. ✔
When switching to NC mode you get an increase in bass and treble if you need it, but they sound great without it! ✔

Thank you to everyone who replied!

I wanted to ask you where you found the UE6000's for 75? I've only found them on amazon for about 100.

Thanks for the time you put into the post to inform me. I appreciate it.

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #10 of 14
Pulled the trigger on it! Very excited.

How do you find the active noise cancellation feature? How does it work? How is the noise cancellation when the active noise cancellation is disabled? And last but not least, how often do you replace the batteries?

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #11 of 14
  Pulled the trigger on it! Very excited.

How do you find the active noise cancellation feature? How does it work? How is the noise cancellation when the active noise cancellation is disabled? And last but not least, how often do you replace the batteries?

Great! I'm sure you'll like them.

>How do you find the active noise cancellation feature?
The noise cancellation feature works, but it definitely isn't the best like Bose. In my experience it will block out most of road noise when traveling.

>How does it work?
Noise cancellation works by emitting a frequency from the headphone itself which cancels out the surrounding noise. You may hear a slight hiss while this feature is enabled and nothing is playing. When the noise cancelling is on with these headphones the amplifier inside the headphone is activated and you get a bass/treble/volume boost from it. I find it to be good when you really want your songs to be fun and very punchy. Other times I have found it to be a little harsh, it just depends on the songs I am playing. Noise cancelling itself isn't designed to block out people talking near you, its moreso aimed at a constant background noise.

>How is the noise cancellation when the active noise cancellation is disabled?
 In my opinion, these headphones are really nice sounding with the noise cancelling off, I actually prefer it for the most part. Everything just sounds good. With noise canceling off and music playing I can't really hear anything going on around me. In fact, I've probably have had more instances of noticing a sound in the background of the music I am playing and that will make me turn my head only to find out it was from the song and not from my surroundings.

>how often do you replace the batteries?
Haven't had to yet and I have about 20+ hours (way more hours if you count accidentally leaving them on) on them with the noise-cancelling feature enabled, they seem to last pretty long from what I've read. Plus they come with batteries.

Hope that helps.

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #13 of 14
Sound leakage on Takstar HD5500 is minimal... definitely won't both your fellow commuters on the train, or your GF sleeping on the couch a few feet away from you :)

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #14 of 14
For anyone else who may be reading this post for recommendations on cheap headphones, I've got a list right here: http://froogalstoodent.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-14-best-value-headphones-froogal.html

It's topped by my favorite headphones, the Sony MDR-ZX300. For less than $30, these headphones handle most music well. They're certainly not audiophile-quality, but I think they capture the essence of most music very well, especially considering the low price tag! The #2 Monoprice are also well-regarded, and the Sennheisers that are jointly listed at #3 are also pretty well-liked by headphone enthusiasts. 

I've also had limited experience with Philips headphones, and they usually sound pretty good for a low price. In fact, I once used cheap $5 Philips earbuds that sounded better than other earbuds that went for twice the price! Then again, they only lasted me about 6 months, and didn't stay in my ears better than any other earbuds (I HATE earbuds!). So I can recommend Philips products in general, based on positive personal experiences. 

But if you're looking for the best combination of sound quality, durability, and value, I think you'd be hard-pressed to beat the Sony MDR-ZX300!

(and no, I'm not getting paid by Sony lol! I just like these headphones; in fact, I'm using them right now!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back