Recommenation for an entry level hi-fi CDP?
Apr 7, 2008 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

sk007

100+ Head-Fier
I just want a good CD player so that I can enjoy music with my headphones. I've been only using portables so far.

thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonoliew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'd save up and get a good one straight up. Like a 2nd hand rega apollo. otherwise oppo is good and cheap

the rega is expensive for my budget. any good sub-$500 players? I know I will be most likely upgrading it later, but for present I just don't have that much money to spend on a CD player.

thanks guys.

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 29
also, this is a noobie question, does a good CDP, like the Rega, always have a good internal DAC and amplifier, so that I can use it to drive my headphones without external DAC/amplifiers? (otherwise I really can't justify the price for just using the player as a transport and use its digital signal only. but again, I'm may misunderstanding this, so someone correct me if so.)

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarkovsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sub $500? Maybe a computer?

well I do have enough computers sitting around in my house, I don't use them much for music because they generate heat, and are noisy and not really power efficient for just listening to music
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A good CDP always has a good DAC on board, but most likely no headphone amplifier, so most CDPs can't drive a headphone directly.

I just looked at the specs of the Rega Apollo, it has no hp out, but do have a RCA(L/R) output, but since the Rega website is actually advertising its analogue amplifier, can I just use a RCA to 3.5 cable to go with that RCA out to directly drive my headphones? I'm just curious here, I have hp amps so it is really not an issue.

Apr 7, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by sk007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just looked at the specs of the Rega Apollo, it has no hp out, but do have a RCA(L/R) output, but since the Rega website is actually advertising its analogue amplifier, can I just use a RCA to 3.5 cable to go with that RCA out to directly drive my headphones? I'm just curious here, I have hp amps so it is really not an issue.

You could but you would have no control over volume. You dont' want to do that they are line out signals meant to be run to an amp.

James

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #13 of 29
Whatever you do, don't fall for the cheap Marantz SA8260's even with the great Stereophile ratings on its sound.

When it works, it's a great player, but it it plagued by transport problems that are supposed to be fixed by a warranty repair, but that repair doesn't always last very long before the units malfunction again.

Apr 7, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #14 of 29
Marantz CD5001 -- around $300
Denon W1500 (HDCD) around $550

Both have volume-controlled headphone jacks, and good SQ reviews.

I have the W1500 myself -- but I use it with a dedicated headphone amp from the line-out for best possible SQ.
I tried the headphone jack, and it was okay for use with no amp. Similar to my other Marantz reference-series HDCD players/recorders -- but, I amp all my cans, no matter what source I use, even though all my units have volume-controlled headphone jacks, if I want to use them.

Apr 7, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamess71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could but you would have no control over volume. You dont' want to do that they are line out signals meant to be run to an amp.

James

i didn't realize that was line out. But then where is the output that uses the internal amplifier? still the RCA? I thought line out signals are not amplified. correct me if I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back