Recommedation for some classic jazz songs.
Dec 7, 2002 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nevermorez

100+ Head-Fier
The title pretty much says all.

After I bought the Leaving Las Vegas soundtrack, I'm pretty much in love with Jazz now. Angel eyes, my one and the only one, it's a lonesome old town, come rain or come shine...etc. Simply, these are just awesome. But unfortunately, I'm not familiar with jazz type of music, so I really don't know wut to look for. I think these should be classic jazz, but I could be wrong too.

Anyway, can anyone help me out here.
Any suggestion and opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dec 7, 2002 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 7
Miles davis is a good place to start.

I would recommend Kind of Blue as a good intro album.

Coltrane is also wonderful.

I'll let some of the much more experienced people help you out.

Dec 9, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 7
If you are thinking about getting into Jazz, Coltrane and Davis are NOT the place to start.

First, go to allmusic.com and do a little reading about the history of Jazz and the various subtypes (classic, swing, bop, big band, bossa nova, cool, soul, fusion, etc.) Read up on the key artists from each period and then see if you can get your hands on some of the recommended albums by these artists. Scott Yanow has a number of great essays that will give you a very good background. http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...AZZ&sql=F2JAZZ

Then try to sample some music from each of these areas to get a feel for what you might like.

My suggestions: start with some female vocals (Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Billie Holiday, Diana Krall). Sample some male vocals (Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, Chet Baker, John Pizzarelli, Mel Torme.)

Then sample some from the best era of American music: Swing (mid 30's to mid 40's). The best in this era include Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Duke Ellington.

You'll have to try some "classic" jazz, best epitomized by Louis Armstrong. (This genre is mostly thought of as being from the pre-1935 era, but classic jazz is alive and well today. Pick up anything at Arbors Records (www.arborsrecords.com) and you won't be disappointed.

You then have to sample artists from the "cool" and "bop" and bossa nova schools. If you take even one of my recommendations, listen to "Getz/Gilberto." It's a bossa nova classic, the best-selling album of 1963 among all types of music. The lead song "The Girl From Ipanema" is a treasure and it will make you fall in love with the jazz sax. Also in this school: Lester Young, Zoot Sims).

Vary your Jazz samplings with different instruments. For piano try Nat King Cole, Dave Brubeck, Bill Evans, Gene Harris, Oscar Peterson. OP's "Night Train" is a great place to start.

This post could go on for a long while, so I'll call it quits. Once you get your feet wet in Jazz you'll be hooked.

Dec 9, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #6 of 7
Wow....that's very imformative
Thanks very much Suedama, I will definitely check out those. I really gotta do some serious studying now. I'm having two finals next week.
frown.gif

By the way, I've tried some of the songs from Miles Davis and John Coltrane and I love it. The saxsphone solos are pretty AWESOME. (GOOD STUFF FOR ERRR....UMMM....YOU KNOW....#%$#^$%) Well, at least my girlfriend appreciates it. Heehee
biggrin.gif
Never too busy for those kinda stuff.
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

BIG THANKS TO dohminator.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2002 at 4:49 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

are you looking for big band jazz like vegas style or small group jazz. miles davis and coltrane are both geniuses but if you are looking for sinatra sounding jazz you would be in for a rude awakening.

Actually, it doesn't matter to me at long as it sounds good to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back