Recommandation for an upgrade/alternatives to Grado Labs SR325
Mar 11, 2022 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DaveMontreal

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I am using a Grado SR325 since some years.
I mainly listen to jazz / ECM records for example.
I am a little frustrated by the lack of deep bass and by the confort of these headphones.

I am searching for something with the same precision, details, precision but with more large soundstage, better basses and confort.
under 700$...
For the moment listen through iMac, audirvana, meridian explorer but willing to switch to a streamer + DAC + amplifier dedicated to the headphone.
Ici zen streamer + DAC maybe?

thanks

Mar 11, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 12
You need an amp without current limitation.

Can't you help you on comfort side; you can try salad bowl pads.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 12
I am also a longtime Grado SR325 owner.

In 2021 I got the Audio-Technica ATH-R70X and it's exactly what you're asking for: super light and comfortable, much more open soundstage, very natural timbre, deep bass extension (down to 5Hz). The little wing things you can see in the photo are what touches your head; they feel weightless, but they balance the 'phones so you don't feel the same clamping force as the Grados.

The Grados put more punch and grit into the midrange, which suits rock guitars and vocal-centric music but narrows the soundstage. For the wider perspective of jazz the ATH-R70X are great.

You can find lots of ATH-R70X reviews because they have been available for years. There's one pretty high up on head-fi that says the soundstage is small; sorry, but that's wrong.

I don't know what your seller options are in Canada, but here's the best US price I found.
https://www.thomannmusic.com/audio_technica_ath_r70_x.htm

Along with Amazon and electronics stores, you can try musical-instrument stores, because these are aimed at studio use. The main quirk is that they have a long cord, 3 meters, with a particular connector. But if that really bothers you Amazon does list shorter replacement cables. I just coil mine up with a cable tie.

They are best with an amp; I have a Schiit Magni 3, though you could also look at the JDS Labs Atom in the same price range.

I'd suggest getting new 'phones and an amp before worrying about a DAC or a streamer -- they would have far less effect than new headphones.

Listening to some Vijay Iyer right now:

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 12
Mar 12, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #5 of 12

In 2021 I got the Audio-Technica ATH-R70X and it's exactly what you're asking for: super light and comfortable, much more open soundstage, very natural timbre, deep bass extension (down to 5Hz). The little wing things you can see in the photo are what touches your head; they feel weightless, but they balance the 'phones so you don't feel the same clamping force as the Grados.

The Grados put more punch and grit into the midrange, which suits rock guitars and vocal-centric music but narrows the soundstage. For the wider perspective of jazz the ATH-R70X are great.

You can find lots of ATH-R70X reviews because they have been available for years. There's one pretty high up on head-fi that says the soundstage is small; sorry, but that's wrong.

I don't know what your seller options are in Canada, but here's the best US price I found.

Along with Amazon and electronics stores, you can try musical-instrument stores, because these are aimed at studio use. The main quirk is that they have a long cord, 3 meters, with a particular connector. But if that really bothers you Amazon does list shorter replacement cables. I just coil mine up with a cable tie.

They are best with an amp; I have a Schiit Magni 3, though you could also look at the JDS Labs Atom in the same price range.

I'd suggest getting new 'phones and an amp before worrying about a DAC or a streamer -- they would have far less effect than new headphones.

thanks
I will take a look at these Audio technica. Someone has advised me the HIFIMAN Sundara... but the last time I have tried, I've found the sound very smooth, not as detailed, analythic as I wanted...

Mar 12, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #6 of 12
Skip all planar and electrostatic headphones if you are looking for “grado” sound. In the dynamic camp ATH would be the closest but I would take a higher end grado for the grado sound - Grado PS1 now that’s some cans.

Mar 15, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 12
Grado SR325X, the new version, has some bass to it. More then the SR325, but it is still a Grado. The Sundara's are a decent planar headphone, but from my experience with them, you need a dedicated amp to drive them properly. You don't need tons of power, just more than a PC/laptop or a DAP can offer.

Mar 19, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #8 of 12

Hi earmonger,
I have tried last week the ATH-R70X and it isn't exactly what i am looking for... compared to the SR325 more low end frequencies but not sufficient brillance/punch for the medium for me, and doesn't fit well on my head :)
to be continued
Thanks for the advice

Mar 19, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #10 of 12
Hi,
Has Audeze a signature similar to grado's one for the details?
thanks
1647706699189.jpeg

Mar 19, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #11 of 12
Hi earmonger,
I have tried last week the ATH-R70X and it isn't exactly what i am looking for... compared to the SR325 more low end frequencies but not sufficient brillance/punch for the medium for me, and doesn't fit well on my head :)
to be continued
Thanks for the advice
Sorry they didn't suit you -- fit is crucial, of course. Grado mids are really pushed forward, so when you do find something that fits better, give yourself some extended listening time to decide about different sound signatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back