Recomended portable amps?
Dec 13, 2003 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Phil Ramsay

100+ Head-Fier
I'll start by saying I'm a brand new member and this is my first post.

I've gathered a lot of info. in a short time from reading and checking out stuff on your site, and others. Thanks for all the great info. It's already helped a LOT!

I recently got a 20gb 3rd generation iPod, and found you guys when I started searching for headphone advice.

Settled on the ER-4p which just arrived Wed., and I must say I'm VERY pleased. Everything I expected and more. Got them from Paul Chua [etymotics@hotmail.com] for a very fair price ($210 NIB incl. next day shipping) Great ebay transaction.

The ER-4p is an amazing product - I can't stop RAVING about them. Can I say 'Aural Sex' without getting into trouble?

O.K. - now the questions: I'm now CLEARLY hooked on quality portable audio, so the next question is who do you recommend for portable amps?

I've gathered that there's still room for serious improvement in sound quality by adding a portable amp and converting the resistance to the ER-4p with a converter of some variety.

I started this journey by stumbling into Headroom's site, and then to you guys. The New Total Airhead was the first product to catch my attention, though I've seen opinions suggesting I could do better. Other options are Headsave's Tempo, or Xin's Super Mini Amp.

Any other products I'm missing? Any opinions on who you'd recommend (and why)?

Any issues with interface to iPod? I'm sure jacking the amp into headhone output instead of a line out is less than ideal, but I don't see that I have a lot of choice. I'd still like to use the wired remote at least be able to pause and skip tracks. Is it true that I should avoid using the iPod volume control and use the amps contol as much as possible?

Xin's amps seem to have the edge in my (uninformed) opinion, for their apparent sound quality, really good battery life, cross feed circuit, and a bonus ER-4p to ER-4s converter built in. I think the big analog volume control option looks better too, as it seems it would be easier to adjust (especially with gloves in a MN Winter...) or through a case.

Am considering getting a Headroom iPod Case. Anyone know if I'd be able to get to the amp volume knob easily with one of these rigs?

Sorry - I've gone on way too long...

Any sugestions would be very welcome!

Thanks.

Phil Ramsay ( the new guy)

Dec 13, 2003 at 6:44 AM Post #2 of 14
Welcome, Phil, and congratulations on your new toys. I got my Etys about a year ago and still feel about 90% of what you're feeling now every time I use them. At the time I thought I was nuts spending that kind of money on portable audio, but, in retrospect, I have to say those were some of the best audio dollars I've ever spent.

As for the amp situation, unless you absolutely have money burning a hole in your pocket, I'd say stick with what you have already. I've never listened to an Ipod, but from everything I've read here the audio is among the very best you're going to find right now in portable gear. Assuming that to be true, combined with the ER4Ps you're unlikely to actually hear a big difference with a separate amp.

I have an iRiver Slimx IMP-350 that I use at work every day with my ER4Ps. I also have a Meier Audio Porta-Corda II. It came with a little plug-in thing that adds another 120 Ohms impedance, raising the ER4Ps to slightly beyond the impedance of the ER4Ss. There is a difference in the audio using the separate amp, but it's rather subtle. I would guess 8 or 9 out of 10 people would either not detect it or not call it significant. This is in no way meant to slam the Porta-Corda. (I loaned it to a co-worker the other day and he said the difference was like night and day with his Senns.) It's just that the IMP-350 puts out a pretty powerful signal for a portable and it's only at the very extremes that you get much benefit from an external amp. From what I've read I gather the Ipod is similar in this regard. Of course, I don't generally listen at ear-splitting levels, so those interested in damaging their hearing might have a different opinion.

If you're determined to get an amp, you should at least take a look at the Porta-Corda. (Meier Audio is a sponsor here so you should find the link easily.) With the advent of the PPA and the PIMETA board, there may also be some good deals coming up on META42 amps from people looking to upgrade. Keep an eye on the For Sale forum. Also check the Mall-Fi forum for links and info on the PPA and PIMETA. There are also a number of people around here who will build an amp for you. If you like the idea of an amp in an Altoids tin, that's a good way to go. And if you can handle a soldering iron you can build your own. Follow the PIMETA link from the Mall-Fi forum and you'll find full instructions.

Dec 13, 2003 at 6:55 AM Post #3 of 14
patchmaster, thanks for your suggestions...i, too, am looking for a better portable rig for my 20 gig ipod. i'm not all to pleased with its amp as i find that for a number of songs i have the volume up to max and it's still not enough. i've been using SR80s as my portable headphones with sony ex70s in those instances when i need more isolation. i find that i can listen at much higher levels with the grados than with the earbuds...for this reason (and their sound as well), i think the grados are wonderful for the ipod. still, i need a little more power and a portable amp is next on my list.

i'm springing for er-4ps anyday now...i've also been looking at that ebay guy who sells 'em for $210 shipped, but also trying my luck in the sell/trade forum. i'll check out some of those amps you mentioned...

Dec 13, 2003 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 14
I've got an iPod, and while the sound is very good, the amp made a world of difference. It especially helped out the bass, which was a bit lacking on the two iPods that I've owned.

Check with Norm over at Headsave. His workmanship is top-notch. If you don't see something you like, ask him about custom models. I really liked the Elite SL, but I wanted battery power, so he made me one that used 9v instead of the standard DC plug.

Dec 13, 2003 at 7:17 AM Post #5 of 14
Thanks for the advice. Wow, that didn't take long...

You're probably right - I should wait a while, and absorb more solicited advice.

The iPod sounds very good, and it drives the ER-4p fine, but at higher volumes (75% or so) I've clearly heard it struggle and distort.

I am also more than a little curious to see what the sound diiferences are in ER-4s vs ER-4p. I think if I add the resistance to alter the sound, I'll need more than an iPod (or any 'standard' headphone jack) will deliver.

I suppose the 'cheap' way to start down the 'slippery slope', is to get a converter cable or adapter from Etymodic or Xin, and see what it sounds like, and how little volume I have left before the dreaded distortion begins. I'll then have a feel for if the ER-4s sound rates the extra money and bulk of the amp it'll probably be 'wanting.'

Thanks for your amp advice and places to look.

Dec 14, 2003 at 5:10 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Phil Ramsay
The iPod sounds very good, and it drives the ER-4p fine, but at higher volumes (75% or so) I've clearly heard it struggle and distort.

Either you're rapidly heading for massive hearing loss or the Ipod audio isn't as good as I've heard. I'd suffer serious hearing damage using my ER4Ps at 75% on my SlimX. I let a friend try them once and he turned the volume on the SlimX up to about 60%. I suggested maybe that was a bit too high (I normally listened at 30-40%), but he said it was fine. The next time I saw him he said his ears were ringing for a couple days after that short trial. I think he had equated "too loud" with "distorted", heard no distortion with the SlimX/ER4P and assumed the volume level was fine.

Anyway, if you're listening at 75% and it's not causing your ears to ring, then you probably do need an external amp. I can also tell you there's no way you'd be happy with the volume you'd get on that rig with the ER4S.

Quote:

I suppose the 'cheap' way to start down the 'slippery slope', is to get a converter cable or adapter from Etymodic or Xin, and see what it sounds like, and how little volume I have left before the dreaded distortion begins.

Actually, the cheap way is to head to Radio Shack and pick up one of their headphone cords with a volume control built in along with a couple 75 Ohm resistors. A little solder, some insulation, and you've got yourself a ER4P converter for less than $10.

As for evaluating the sound of the ER4S, you're probably not going to get a good feel for it without having an amp available.

Dec 14, 2003 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 14
IMO, you should ask around on the PIMETA...I use one with my ihp-120 and it is amazing. Howerver, I have not heard it with an iPod yet, im sure it will have a similar effect.

Dan

Dec 31, 2003 at 7:03 AM Post #9 of 14
I'm clearly sliding down the slippery slope of headphone / portable addiction...

But it feels good - so far anyway.

As an experiment and to get my 'feet wet', I checked the FOR SALE Forum - and bought a used Xin Super Mini v. 3 from 'Pinny' - and confirmed what I had expected.

The Super Mini sounds so-so plugged into the headphone jack of the iPod, but it really does sound GOOD from the line out. The overall sound is solid, and the bass response and definition are much better amped than unamped. I'm sure when I get my ER-4P to ER-4S converter cable built, the extra power from the amp will be much more critical. Right now with the ER-4P's, the extra power and definition is a nice bonus (yeah, probably 10% or so), but far from 'necessary'.

On the plus side, the Super Mini is really is SMALL, so I've got a fighting chance of using it as a truly portable amp, if I can find a bag option that works well for me.

All this reading about cool amps of various designs still has be facinated though... Against my better judgement, I must admit, I'm still seriously considering having a portable PIMETA amp built for me (or going completely nuts and building it myself - although I've never done an electronics DIY).

Am I losing the battle? Am I nuts to build a PIMETA for a portable?

Is there a 12 - step program if I get in "trouble" ?

Jan 1, 2004 at 2:28 PM Post #11 of 14
Phil,

I just received the new Total Airhead last week. I've been a HeadRoom junkie for the last 7 years or so, and don't feel I could live without crossfeed so I may be slightly biased. I have to say that the TAH was one of the best purchases I have made in my 28 years of headphone listening. It sounds great and throws a very nice soundstage. Velcro it to the back of your Ipod and you have a nice compact portable system. The rubber battery door acts as a non-slip foot for the package. I slip my Dell DJ and the TAH into a small camera case which has a front pocket to house the Ety's. Smiles per dollar, I don't think it can be beat IMHO. It sounds awesome with the Ety ER4s and it's magic with the Grado SR-125's.

........Just my 2 cents.

Jan 1, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 14
I'm new to the whole amp thing as well. Actually, I am pretty happy with the sound of my Nomad Xtra and the Bose Triports. Although, I may buy ETY ER4s someday based on the raves they get.

However, I also use my Xtra to drive a pair of Creative I-Trigue L3500 speakers in the front room (no TV and component surround system in this room). The Nomad Xtra dissapoints here. It cannot drive these speakers well. Will an amp help? If so, is the following link a good amp or are there better choices (I want a SMALL amp if I get one) http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0000010001

Thanks for the help!

Jan 1, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Phil Ramsay
O.K. - now the questions: I'm now CLEARLY hooked on quality portable audio, so the next question is who do you recommend for portable amps?

How about a Shure E5c?... Hehehe.. j/k...

Anyway, back on the serious side. You might find the newest version of the SuperMini much better than your V3. I have a version 6.2D, and it has some significant feature upgrades. I don't know if the V3 has bypassable built-in crossfeed, and sounds like you didn't get one with the built in 4P->S adaptor either. You should also consider getting the SuperMicro. I've been able to test one out, and I have to say they sound just a tad even better than the SuperMini.

As to building a Pimeta?.. Well, I'd suggest you to just save that money towards some good future purchases. I think right now, the best portable amp in the market has to be Ray Samuel's XP-7. It has performance that approaches the Emmeline HR-2, in a portable format. It's a quite a bit bigger than your SuperMini right now, but it can be driven off 2 six-volt batteries. That is one *awesome* amp.

The truth is, in my personal experience, I've found the SuperMini, even though good, not practical enough. It didn't give me enough improvement in my listening experience for me to warrant having to carry it around. For me to really want to tote another piece of equipment around in my portable listening environments, it has to be at the quality level of the XP-7 for me to consider them.

Another thing to consider, when you get your P->S adaptor, you might find driving them directly off the iPod's headphone out to be quite adequate. iPod's headphone out can drive most headphones pretty adequately (about 100ohms of impedance or so), and the ER-4S has some significant sound quality improvements over the ER-4P... which might actually narrow the performance gap between having a SuperMini or not.

Jan 2, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #14 of 14
well said lindrone...my sentiments exactly. the audible improvement with a META amp wasn't great enough to justify lugging around the amp. so the amp has found another home, and i've got myself some sweet 4P's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back