Recomendations for setup
Jul 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

soundofpraise

New Head-Fier
my current setup is as follows:

iPod nano 7G + 3.5 to 3.5 cable + fiio e17 + Shure SE535

i have been searching on head-fi for possible recomendations and reviews for certain setups but i have not really found a solid review yet. or at least i have not searched in the right areas.

i get a hiss in the shures and i have the impressions from numerous threads that a setup like mine isnt a very good setup but can be improved. i was thinking of getting a lightning to 30pin adaptor then use an LOD. but i am holding off on buying 1 if there are other methods to have the best sound quality.

Jul 15, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 11
Unless you're very discerning the fiio e17 shouldn't provide much of a boost in sound quality. I don't know how good/bad the nano is, but have you tried listening from it alone.

Is there hiss?

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Yes I have listened to the nano without the e17 and there's no hiss.

I would guess(?) the E17 DAC is better then the Nano's
So using a digital audio signal (Lighting port) to the E17 might improve audio quality.
Guess you just have to find the right cable, to see if it makes a difference.

Jul 16, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
So using a digital audio signal (Lighting port) to the E17 might improve audio quality.

do you happen to know of a cable or adapter or anything that can get the digital audio signal out using the lightning port to e17? i dont have to get another DAC/Amp do i? i hope i dont have to resort to this but i was thinking of looking into getting a V-Moda VERZA

Jul 16, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Do you happen to know of a cable or adapter or anything that can get the digital audio signal out using the lightning port to E17? I don't have to get another DAC/Amp do i? I hope I don't have to resort to this but I was thinking of looking into getting a V-Moda VERZA

Connecting the Apple 's lightning port to the E17 USB input it not something I'm truly knowledgeable about.
I'm just making the best "guesses" I can.

Try posting questions about connecting the Apple's Lightning port to the digital input (USB) on the Fiio E17 on this thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought

Jul 18, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Connecting the Apple 's lightning port to the E17 USB input it not something I'm truly knowledgeable about.
I'm just making the best "guesses" I can.

Try posting questions about connecting the Apple's Lightning port to the digital input (USB) on the Fiio E17 on this thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought

Quote:

I don't think it works like that, the E17 is a USB dac you would need a Fostex HP-P1 or SL Algorithm solo

Jul 18, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 11
I don't think it works like that, the E17 is a USB dac you would need a Fostex HP-P1 or SL Algorithm solo

So I need to find a way to connect my iPod nano 7G to the mini USB port on the under-side of the E17 correct? I am thinkin about getting the Vmoda verza just because it says compatible with iPhone 5 but that's an unreasonable upgrade. I have the impression from reading posts saying the lightning to 30pin adapter has a dac in it so if: iPod nano 7G + lightning to 30pin adapter + 30pin doc cable + external DAC = not good enough. The thing is I don't understand why? You only need one DAC right? Right now I just got the fiio L9 LOD and I have it with the lightning to 30pin. It seems good but I feel like it can be improved from other people's reviews.

Jul 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
So I need to find a way to connect my iPod nano 7G to the mini USB port on the under-side of the E17 correct? I am thinking about getting the Vmoda verza just because it says compatible with iPhone 5 but that's an unreasonable upgrade. I have the impression from reading posts saying the lightning to 30pin adapter has a dac in it so if: iPod nano 7G + lightning to 30pin adapter + 30pin doc cable + external DAC = not good enough. The thing is I don't understand why? You only need one DAC right? Right now I just got the Fiio L9 LOD and I have it with the lightning to 30pin. It seems good but I feel like it can be improved from other people's reviews.

The Lightning adapters (cables) do not have DACs in them.
Apple designed a very tiny little chip that has to be imbedded (built) in to a cable, for that cable to work with the Apple lightning port.
I'm assuming this little chip converts the lightning digital audio signal into a USB compatable digital audio signal.

Apple could have easily built a (industry standard) USB port into the iPod (or other Apple portable products)
But Apple want to make money off each cable that was sold for use with Apple portable products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back