Recomendations for DIY portable amp?
Oct 24, 2007 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

MiRaCL

Head-Fier
Hello

Been out of the whole headphone game for a year it seems. Still happy with my millett hybrid + 770 pro setup
smily_headphones1.gif

Im now thinking of building a portable amp for use with my 770's (250ohms) and ipod touch..

Anyone got a diy portable amp to recommend?

Oct 24, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #6 of 14
get ahead of the curve - build a portable balanced amp (its the easiest way to get the V those cans need anyway)

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonVandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever you build, make sure to make room for an active ground channel, it's worth the effort.

active ground means?

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:30 AM Post #10 of 14
Thanks for all the answers. Im looking at the Mini m3 now, looks nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by wui223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
active ground means?

Means it's active, just like left and right channel...?-D

Oct 24, 2007 at 10:16 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by wui223 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
active ground means?

The way used in LISAIII, PPA, PIMETA, Mini3, PINT etc - look at the schematics. You have a virtual/input ground (often by a TLE2426) and an output ground to sink the current from the headphones. Compare this to a simple voltage divider (resistors or TLE2426) and capacitors from positive and negative rail to ground, sinking the current from the headphones and acting as a virtual ground, as used in CMOY. I've found that the ground channel is equally, or almost, equally important as left/rigth channel.

If you care for a good sound (and I think we all do) this is the way to go in a battery powered amp.

But... is there a line out from iPod touch? Connecting an amp to headphones out, I doubt there will be any improvement amping high impedance phones like the DT770 mentioned above.

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonVandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The way used in LISAIII, PPA, PIMETA, Mini3, PINT etc - look at the schematics. You have a virtual/input ground (often by a TLE2426) and an output ground to sink the current from the headphones. Compare this to a simple voltage divider (resistors or TLE2426) and capacitors from positive and negative rail to ground, sinking the current from the headphones and acting as a virtual ground, as used in CMOY. I've found that the ground channel is equally, or almost, equally important as left/rigth channel.

If you care for a good sound (and I think we all do) this is the way to go in a battery powered amp.

But... is there a line out from iPod touch? Connecting an amp to headphones out, I doubt there will be any improvement amping high impedance phones like the DT770 mentioned above.

Is the Sijosae classAB headphone amp has the active ground? since it use discrete buffer for the virtual ground part.

If my headphone amp (CMOY) uses wall mart regulated DC supply most of the time, is the active ground or virtual ground circuit contributes much to the sound?

Oct 25, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #14 of 14
nah, the Class AB uses conventional two channel. The discrete rail splitter is there to replace the TLE2426. By how it's implemented (caps after splitter) i'd say use TLE2426 instead of it. Size is smaller, current draw is much LOWER, and it probably sounds the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back