recomendations for "americana" ?
May 31, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #61 of 74
Relatively unknown band (though not for long...) The Woodbox Gang. CD is called Born With A Tail. Some of the most clever songwriting I've heard in quite awhile.

May 31, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #62 of 74
The new CD by Eliza Gilkyson is outstanding.
The title is "Beautiful World".
Eliza is a very underrated singer.

Nov 27, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #63 of 74
Want to add Fleet Foxes here for sure!

And I've been liking John Prine's album Inpite of Ourselves a lot lately. I want to pick up his first self tited album, I read it was his best.

Any new albums or more recomendations? Ive been out of the music loop for a while.

BUMP!
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #64 of 74
For those that enjoy Neko Case and Nina Nastasia might want to check out:

The Porch Song Anthology... Spell the Trembling Earth is a great work of Americana/Western Gothic, which is surprising considering they're from Glasgow... Rachel Devine's voice is stunning. "Hang Me Good" is a strong opener that sets the tone of the album perfectly.

Rykarda Parasol... Our Hearts First Meet is a great album, with fantastic vocals and dark, rich sounds. Strong start to finish, though worth checking out for "Texas Midnight Radio" alone. "Arrival, A Rival" is another strong song, along with "Hannah Leah".

Kira Lynn Cain... The Ideal Hunter is a dark, noir-ish album with Americana/Western undertones. Dreamy, haunting... "The Lone" is probably my favorite song, the best of everything she accomplishes on the album.

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #67 of 74
The album "Howl" by the Black Rebel Motorcyle Club is a fantastic Americana album. With folkrock, blues, gospel and a bit of psychedelic, it's hard to beat. Way up there on my list of favorite albums. It was a huge departure from their earlier work, and their newer work is different again.

Jan 14, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #68 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those that enjoy Neko Case and Nina Nastasia might want to check out:

The Porch Song Anthology... Spell the Trembling Earth is a great work of Americana/Western Gothic, which is surprising considering they're from Glasgow... Rachel Devine's voice is stunning. "Hang Me Good" is a strong opener that sets the tone of the album perfectly.

Rykarda Parasol... Our Hearts First Meet is a great album, with fantastic vocals and dark, rich sounds. Strong start to finish, though worth checking out for "Texas Midnight Radio" alone. "Arrival, A Rival" is another strong song, along with "Hannah Leah".

Kira Lynn Cain... The Ideal Hunter is a dark, noir-ish album with Americana/Western undertones. Dreamy, haunting... "The Lone" is probably my favorite song, the best of everything she accomplishes on the album.

thanks. my favorite genre is southern gothic folk. fellow head-fiers, if you have more recommendation, please keep them coming.

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #70 of 74
Try some old school -
Johnny Cash
Rank and File
Jason and the Scorchers
Lone Justice
Steve Earle
The Blasters/Dave Alvin

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #71 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthStar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try some old school -
Johnny Cash
Rank and File
Jason and the Scorchers
Lone Justice
Steve Earle
The Blasters/Dave Alvin

x2. Those are my favorite Americana artists.

Jan 22, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #72 of 74
Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers.

Some of you may recognize them as the Refreshments from about a decade ago. Real Americana with a southwestern/Mexican flare and some of the greatest lyrics I've ever heard. Here's one of my favorite songs. I love their current stuff as it's more mature than their days as the Refreshments but at the same time "fizzy fuzzy big and buzzy" is still one of my alltime favorite albums...

YouTube - Roger Clyne and the Peacemaker (RCPM) - Sleep Like a Baby - Album Version (Sonoran Hope and Madness)

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #73 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. Those are my favorite Americana artists.

You sir, have excellent taste!
beerchug.gif

I'll also second your suggestion of Eliza Gilkyson. I saw her when she opened for Richard Thompson. She was quite good - lovely voice.

Jan 23, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #74 of 74
Iron & Wine
Calexico
Bonnie "Prince" Billy

The Carter Family
Hank Williams
Earl Scruggs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back