Recomendations for 100-125$?
May 6, 2007 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

lostspyder

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD-212pros, and I think there great (sound wise, little bassy but good), but they cramp up my ears (from pinning the back of my ears down, ive kinda god dumbo ears) after an hour or so of wearing them, so im thinking of picking up something else.

Ive been looking at the HD-555's and they look really comfortable and get decent reviews, but would prefer a closed headphone - without sacrificing comfort, is there a pair in this range?

I listen to mostly classical, post-punk and movies, and would prefer something that wouldn't require a second amp on my ipod.

May 6, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #3 of 12
AudioTechnica A700: http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Au...eadphones.html

a700.jpg

May 6, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 12
dt770's look to be about 200$ - out of my price range

but the audio-technica's seems to be almost exactly what I am looking for. How do the a500's compare to the a700's? Is there 35$ worth of sound diffrence for a poor college student?

I still feel drawn to the HD555s though, mabie its because they look cooler :p?

I also found refurbished hd580's for 127$, how would they factor into this?
http://www.getpartsonline.com/hd580.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
audio technica a500
beyer dynamic dt770 (may be above your budget, not sure of the going price for these bad boys)

May 6, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lostspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dt770's look to be about 200$ - out of my price range

but the audio-technica's seems to be almost exactly what I am looking for. How do the a500's compare to the a700's? Is there 35$ worth of sound diffrence for a poor college student?

I still feel drawn to the HD555s though, mabie its because they look cooler :p?

I also found refurbished hd580's for 127$, how would they factor into this?
http://www.getpartsonline.com/hd580.html

honestly the 555's are great. and again...you can find 595's used here for $125 which is what i sold them for. HD580's are also great, but you are looking for an all-rounder I assume? the 595's are better all-rounders. however, i love my 580's for classical and jazz. i sold off the 595's because i just didn't need an all-rounder. i have my ms-1's for rock and 580's for mellow music. 595's just don't EXCEL at anything, but are great for everything. also the a500's to the a700's does have quite an improvement. i would go with the a700's if you go with the audio technica's.

if you go on ebay and look for guitar insider, he offers dt770's for $150 if you make him an offer. good luck!

May 6, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronmtorres /img/forum/go_quote.gif
alessandro ms-1 for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

IMO 555's and 595's would fair better for his intended usage...seems like you are just spamming MS-1's everywhere
rolleyes.gif
. MS-1's are good, but 555's and 595's trump them in classical (not by much) and he plans on using them for movies too. While the MS-1's do all that pretty good as well, I find that the 555's and 595's would fair better in the OP's case. The 555's and 595's are also more comfortable. For people who've never tried Grado's, they might be uncomfortable to them. I don't feel any pain anymore with my MS-1's though.

May 6, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AudioTechnica A700:

x2

May 7, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #10 of 12
How disruptive are the open Sennheiser's to other people? Are they appropriate to wear in public (sound wise) or is it like walking around with a little boom box? I don't care if they can hear what I listing to, but I wouldn't want to disrupt their own stuff (conversations, etcetera).

From what I gather, the diffrence between the audio-techs and the Sennheisers is subjective - I would probably be happy with either and both (all 4) look really comfortable. The 595's are kinda out of my budget - I don't want a used pair, the thought of it creeps me out (even if irrationally - like buying used underwear), and a replacement lining would probably knock the price up to new anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back