Recomendation for Headphones best sound quality for street and studio recordigns
Feb 23, 2015 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Arturo12

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody, im a new guy in this awsome word of high quality audio, so i hope we can give me a hand or some recommendations for buy a pair of headphones and probably a portal amp for them, i need to use it for studio recordings and also for street, i need best audio posible so i think in Beyer 770 and a CDS amp buy im really open for a lot of recommendations.
Thanks guys for your time and have a nice day. 

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 13
What is the most you'd be willing to spend?

I recently got the Focal Spirit Professional ($349) and it can be used in the studio, at home, or portably. Its sound quality is far superior to any other headphone I've heard, though I haven't heard the really expensive stuff yet.

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 13
So I guess you're looking for closed cans (because of use on the street). If you have a large budget, you could get the Beyerdynamic T5p (great sound, made to be 'portable') or the Fostex TH-900 (even better sound, less isolation, harder to drive properly).

For more 'normal' budgets, the DT 770 would be my pick too. They use it for studio recording all around the world and it's a closed headphone that could be used for the street as well.

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #4 of 13
  What is the most you'd be willing to spend?

I recently got the Focal Spirit Professional ($349) and it can be used in the studio, at home, or portably. Its sound quality is far superior to any other headphone I've heard, though I haven't heard the really expensive stuff yet.

I personally wouldnt reccomend the Spirit Professional just for their build quality. They have a huge tendency for the head band to crack and break up. Thats the only reason though, from what I've seen and heard they have great sound quality! 
Check out the Sound Magic HP150 as these are really really great and a bit cheaper! 

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 13
Thanks everybody for your answer, look i could make a little jump to buy focals but i also need to buy a amplifier. Do you think in a great an not to much expensive conbination? I play music with a ipod, ipad, and the keyboards, i think that 770 are great because i only have listened them, is to much difference?. I want the best quality possible, or what you think about sonys mdr 7150?? They are a lot of options, or senhiser momentum over ears? I really confused. The real problem is to have a great combination headphones + portal amp that sound good and can be really useful for street an studio. Thanks guys.

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #6 of 13
  I personally wouldnt reccomend the Spirit Professional just for their build quality. They have a huge tendency for the head band to crack and break up. Thats the only reason though, from what I've seen and heard they have great sound quality! 

I think the newer production units don't have that problem, at least not as much. Since I only recently got mine, I can't say how well it will hold up, but I at least treat my headphones with respect.

Thanks everybody for your answer, look i could make a little jump to buy focals but i also need to buy a amplifier. Do you think in a great an not to much expensive conbination? I play music with a ipod, ipad, and the keyboards, i think that 770 are great because i only have listened them, is to much difference?. I want the best quality possible, or what you think about sonys mdr 7150?? They are a lot of options, or senhiser momentum over ears? I really confused. The real problem is to have a great combination headphones + portal amp that sound good and can be really useful for street an studio. Thanks guys.

I wholeheartedly recommend the Spirit Pro, simply because it sounds so much better than everything else I've heard, including the Sennheiser MOMENTUM. It also does not need an amp, though I use mine with a desktop amp. However, if you have large ears, it may not fit you perfectly like it does for me.

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #7 of 13

I think the newer production units don't have that problem, at least not as much. Since I only recently got mine, I can't say how well it will hold up, but I at least treat my headphones with respect.

I didnt treat them with anything else only gave a warning on what I've heard. I didnt mean to offend you or anything and I do hope that it doesnt happen to your headphones! 

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #8 of 13
  I didnt treat them with anything else only gave a warning on what I've heard. I didnt mean to offend you or anything and I do hope that it doesnt happen to your headphones! 

Yeah, I wasn't implying that anyone doesn't treat their headphones with respect; just that I do. I'm also careful not to open the headphones too quickly when I put them on.

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #9 of 13
  ... i think that 770 are great because i only have listened them, is to much difference?. I want the best quality possible, or what you think about sonys mdr 7150?? They are a lot of options, or senhiser momentum over ears? I really confused. The real problem is to have a great combination headphones + portal amp that sound good and can be really useful for street an studio. Thanks guys.

The difference between the DT770 and Focal Spirit Pro is not huge. Both have their pros and cons. The DT770 are too coloured for me.

What do you need a portable amp for? Most portable headphones don't need one. The DT 770 has a 32 ohm version, the Focals and the Momentums have the same impedance. Of course impedance is not all, but none of these is hard to drive. Nor is my next recommendation: the AKG K551. This headphone is much more neutral sounding than any most of the other headphones mentioned here (except for the Focal Spirit Pro) and I think neutrality is good for recording.

A comparison of the headphones you have considered till now:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3631&graphID[]=2231&graphID[]=3951&scale=30

And one of the AKG K550 compared to the Focal Spirit One(please ignore this. This was not the Pro) and one of the most neutral headphones: the Sennheiser HD800.
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3631&graphID[]=3571&graphID[]=2321&scale=30

Graphs aside, the K551 (portable version of the K550) is very musical, enjoyable and great value for money. It was my reference headphone till I got the HD580 (and later the T1).

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #12 of 13
Dont worry guys, i have really small eras. So you think i should go with with focals pro? I hope they can be a great cupple with my yamajas hs7. Or a other típ? They will sound great in my iPhone? I real y exited, i realy want a great headphones.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #13 of 13
Dont worry guys, i have really small eras. So you think i should go with with focals pro? I hope they can be a great cupple with my yamajas hs7. Or a other típ? They will sound great in my iPhone? I real y exited, i realy want a great headphones.

It would be best if you could directly compare the headphones you are considering, but if you have to just buy one, you already know what I'd recommend. Just make sure you buy from a place with a good return policy in case any issues come up. The Spirit Pro does not need an amp at all, and it's closed-back, so you can pretty much use it anywhere with any source. I honestly wish there was an open-back version, though, since that's the only area I find it lacking: it doesn't have that spacious, airy, effortless presentation that only open headphones have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back