Recomend to me a good binaural recording.
Dec 29, 2005 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

aaroncort

Banned
After listening to that stax test CD that was floating around here for a couple of days and being compleatly blown away buy how beautiful It sounded, I want to hear some more music recorded in this fashion. I'd like anybody with some knowege of this recording type to recomend to me a couple of great recordings that are still available.

Dec 29, 2005 at 9:57 AM Post #2 of 20
Dec 30, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by NilsTentacles
binaural is that like "field recordings"?

Binaural is a special recording prosses that mimics how the human ear hears. The recordings sound like you're there so to speak. You can tell the difference between in front of the mic and behind as well as everything in between. Its quite an amazing experience to behold for us headfools.

I'm going to check out some of those recordings from sound tracker i think! They seem like they could be amazing.

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:55 AM Post #8 of 20
funnily all the releases on soundtracker looks solely like field recordings though. I always wanted some well-recorded field recordings so I'm gonna check out those samples. thanks for the link.

p.s........holy ****!! it already sounds awesome in my HD477 and crappy soundcard
580smile.gif

why aren't they doin all recordings like this? is it too expensive/bothersome?

Dec 30, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by NilsTentacles
funnily all the releases on soundtracker looks solely like field recordings though. I always wanted some well-recorded field recordings so I'm gonna check out those samples. thanks for the link.

p.s........holy ****!! it already sounds awesome in my HD477 and crappy soundcard
580smile.gif

why aren't they doin all recordings like this? is it too expensive/bothersome?

I'm suprised too that when recording all symphonies, or any live music they don't stick a "dummy head" somewhere and release a binaural recording. I supose most people don't know what it is and you need a pretty good rig to take advantage of it making it a nitch market.

On a side note pearljam released an album of all binaural recordings called binaural off all things. I'm not a fan of PJ but was able to enjoy it for how it sounded alone.

Dec 31, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #10 of 20
the out-of-head sound resolution is as much (may be more) a product of one's ear/brain processing as anything else. not everybody (and not I, alas) experiences binaural that way. I have a Newport of Stravinsky. Sounds like a regular CD. oh well.

as I recall, Etymotic makes a separate ER4 for binaural, with a different EQ; noticeably brighter when used with regular recordings.

Jan 1, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort
I'm suprised too that when recording all symphonies, or any live music they don't stick a "dummy head" somewhere and release a binaural recording. I supose most people don't know what it is and you need a pretty good rig to take advantage of it making it a nitch market.

On a side note pearljam released an album of all binaural recordings called binaural off all things. I'm not a fan of PJ but was able to enjoy it for how it sounded alone.

I don't think Pearl Jam's Binaural is a true binaural recording. I sounds like they used ambient micing techniques to make it sound spacious. Still, it does have a nice "live" feel to it.

EDIT: Listening to "Binaural" right now and so far only track 8 sounds really binaural-y.

Jan 1, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #14 of 20
i know it sounds stupid but i am sitting in a coffie shop right now and when i listened to the "cafe" sample on quiet american i thought for a seconed that it was someone next to me talking

its incredable

i think i will look more into this it would be great to try and do some recordings of local musicans to release....why is there not whole labels out there releaseing in this format

Users who are viewing this thread

Back