recomend more books like LOTR and Harry Potter
Nov 24, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #31 of 48
Haven't been reading much fantasy recently, but I will second George RR Martin, Stephen Donaldson, Herbert and Le Guin.

Why not try something a little different, with the humor/fantasy of Terry Pratchett? I think he's funnier than almost any writer around, yet can pull depth and emotion when needed. Try Good Omens, his collaboration with Neil Gaiman.

And in fact, try Neil himself. Borrow some Sandman comics then never look back. His novels are pretty good as well.

And maybe later, try something like The Chess Garden by Brooks Hansen. Allegory dressed with fantasy elements.

Finally, if anyone hasn't read The Once and Future King, you are missing out big time.

Nov 24, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for clarification. I havent read a wheel of time book for last 2 years or such. I sort of forgot the whole serie and now I dont feel like picking it up again. I would most likely have to start over too since I have forgotten a lot of details.

As sad as this sounds, I feel like I owe it to Robert Jordan to complete his series since he went to the trouble of trying to get everything he could on paper before he passed away. There are a lot of things I still remember while reading the books and there are many things that I have forgotten or glossed over the first time I read the series.

I say re-read it and let the story get played out...or at least read some "cliff notes" on the intarweb and then pick up the last books. I've heard the new writer spends a lot less time on descriptions of clothing and other winded details.

-Nylan

To the OP: Sorry for jacking the thread.

Nov 24, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #33 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As sad as this sounds, I feel like I owe it to Robert Jordan to complete his series since he went to the trouble of trying to get everything he could on paper before he passed away. There are a lot of things I still remember while reading the books and there are many things that I have forgotten or glossed over the first time I read the series.

I say re-read it and let the story get played out...or at least read some "cliff notes" on the intarweb and then pick up the last books. I've heard the new writer spends a lot less time on descriptions of clothing and other winded details.

-Nylan

To the OP: Sorry for jacking the thread.

I definetly might. I am still anxious to see how it ends. And new writer spending less time on describing clothing and such is definetly a welcome change.
biggrin.gif
One thing that annoyed me in Wheel Of Time was that it putted unnecessary amount of details, substory after substory to the point that it became rather complex and instead of progressing the main story the book started to solve love triangles and other character relationships. I mean, I love those stuff to death but enough was enough. Thats why I slowly forgot the serie as I had a lot of other fantasy books to read at the time.

Nov 24, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #34 of 48
Consider the Gormenghast trilogy.

Nov 24, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #35 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I loved reading Lord of the Rings, and I just finished the 7th Harry Potter book. I honestly don't know if I've ever had such a good time reading. Rowling's characters are so rich and real I love her simple, visual writing style. I really miss being able to dive into that world whenever I had spare time. I wish there were more books!

So those of you who have enjoyed lotr and harry potter, please recommend some other books like these. I was thinking of the Chronicles of Narnia, but my mother read them to me when I was a kid. Not that I remember them, but there might be others I'd rather read first.

I'm looking for imaginitive books that are written simply and beautifully. Could be fantasy or could be something else. There's tons of more critical or analytical books I'd love to read, but the truth of it is, that I just don't read when they're the ones I'm aiming for. I just want to enjoy. Thanks

I've read quite a few of that fantasy genre. Some may be more adult and darker than others. Some of these have been made into movies due to them getting popular with readers. However, I read them long before they were adapted into films and I still haven't seen any of them. I refuse to watch them because the books were so enjoyable that the movie would only prove to discredit them.
tongue.gif
LOTR was one exception.

Prospero's Children trilogy
His Dark Materials trilogy (The Golden Compass) adapted into movie
Abhorsen trilogy (My personal favorite)
Inheritance Cycle trilogy (Eragon) adapted into movie
Tales of the Otori (Across the Nightingale floor) being adapted into a movie
Assassins of Tamurin

I'll add more to the list when I remember them.

Nov 24, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Consider the Gormenghast trilogy.

Well!!! Now you're talking!

I'll also second Fenixdowns vote of the Abhorsen trilogy.

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Tales of the Otori (Across the Nightingale floor) being adapted into a movie...

Not to hijack someone else's thread, but how was that series? I had the chance to pick up the 4 novels in my used book store and I made the mistake of waiting too long...now only the 2nd on in the series remains
frown.gif

Nov 25, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #38 of 48
Another vote for George R. R. Martin's Song of Fire and Ice series, not exactly an easy read, but it sucks you in pretty well!

Nov 25, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #39 of 48
The Dark Elf trilogy is definitely one of the best fantasy books I've ever read. It's by R.A. Salvatore. Extremely good.

Nov 25, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #40 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to hijack someone else's thread, but how was that series? I had the chance to pick up the 4 novels in my used book store and I made the mistake of waiting too long...now only the 2nd on in the series remains
frown.gif

Well as you can tell by how they're all gone from your bookstore now, it's very good. The character developments really draw you in and feel what they are feeling. I don't want to ruin it so I don't want to anything really.
tongue.gif

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #41 of 48
Scott Bakker's, "The Prince of Nothing" Trilogy - now going to be expanded into another 3.

Darker than any fantasy and as deeply textured as Tolkien's work - it is philosophy and fantasy woven together at breakneck speed.

Must have

Nov 28, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #43 of 48
Another vote for Ender's game and the Foundation trilogy. If you want to get into something quite in volved check out Piers Anthony's Xanth series (fantasy)....very well written and 30+ books...that will keep you busy for a while.

Nov 28, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #44 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" and Glen Cook's "The Black Company" are all far superior...Try also L.E. Modesitt, Greg Keyes, George R. R. Martin.

All of these are amazing. I'm just finishing up the twelfth WOT book, and cannot wait for the final two sequels to be finished. I have a few more, but I can't seem to locate my fantasy collection amongst all the boxes in my room at the moment. Might check back in later.

Cheers!

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #45 of 48
Definitely George RR Martin's books - bonus - they are turning them into a miniseries on HBO.

Greg Keyes is pretty good - I beleive you can find the first book, Briar King, I beleive it is free on Amazon's kindle format).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back