Recomend me some cables!
Feb 14, 2008 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gallardo88

100+ Head-Fier
As the title states, I would appreciate some info regarding what cable you guys use/ where I can find it.
I'm planning on building some interconnects for my system, and I'm looking for a fairly good cable, I have tried navships/starquad and want to see how the higher end stuff works out. I was thinking silver or gold, but I'm open to anything, really.

Slightly off topic, but I don't want to make a new thread just for this, could anyone recommend a good, solid, 1/8 female jack.
Thanks a bunch

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 7
i know it's a silly question, i just would like some suggestions. nothing more
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 7
i was looking for just pure silver, copper, gold. so i could insulate it and sleeve it myself. If anyone knows where i can find a site that sells that type of thing, please post the info. I looked at a couple sites ( takefiveaudio had some silver, but a limited selection).
Thanks

Feb 16, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #5 of 7
dont be tempted to buy thick wire. 26ga (or thinner) is cool. if you are gentle 30 or 40ga is doable. 40 may be borderline suicidal, if you dont move it much, 30ga works quite well.

Feb 16, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #6 of 7
I can't think of anyone who makes gold wire... It would be a waste of money. Gold is a poor conductor compared to copper (2nd most conductive) and silver (most conductive). Its use in audio is mainly limited to connectors, where its resistance to oxidation and corrosion is desirable. So, stick with copper and silver.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #7 of 7
lol i don't intend to get anything thicker than 24 gauge, don't worry.
and the reason I me tioned gold was because some of the ridiculously expensive cables uses it. I was actually planning on using silver. Anwyays, thanks for the mini lesson in conductivity.
smily_headphones1.gif

My first question still remains unanswered.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back