Reciever D/A conversion question
Jun 26, 2006 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JaGWiRE

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, I may be interested in speakers in the future. My second pair of interconnects is coming today, and I plan to have my headphone amp on the tape output of my vintage marantz 2216b, and then my computer, xbox 360, and CDP on analogue inputs. This should work, and they will all output to my headphone amp. Now, in the future if I decide to get an reciever, I plan to do the same thing, plug all my sources into the inputs of the reciever, speakers into the speaker jacks, and my headphone amp on an output (tape output I guess so all inputs can output to it like I have now, if that's possible.)

My question is, will analogue inputs on an digital reciever convert the analogue to digital and back to analogue when it outputs it to the headphone amp or speakers? And if I get a dac in the future, I plan to have all my sources that can act as transports plugged into the dac, and the dacs analogue output to an input on the reciever. Would this work without another analogue to digital conversion as well?

Lastly, is what I'm trying to achieve best done with some sort of audio switch? I'de like to avoid that, but if that's the best way, I can deal with that too.

So to clarify:

Tape output : headphone amplifier
various audio inputs : xbox 360, cdp, sateille radio, etc
all inputs outputted to headphone amplifier, with a digital reciever does the analogue signal get re-converted back to digital and then to analogue? And is what I'm trying to achieve possible?

Also, I have been looking at the nad c720bee (although this is way too far in advance), does it have a tape output or something that I can hook the headphone amp up to and have everything output to? If I get speakers, would an intergrated amplifier be a better situation, if so, are there any good cheaply priced nads out there? And could these do the same thing as what I'm trying to do? Would that be a better option, and then later buying a tuner incase I really care about radio? What would I do for a phono preamp? If I got a reciever, I would use the phono preamp on it.)

Jun 26, 2006 at 9:13 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
My question is, will analogue inputs on an digital reciever convert the analogue to digital and back to analogue when it outputs it to the headphone amp or speakers? And if I get a dac in the future, I plan to have all my sources that can act as transports plugged into the dac, and the dacs analogue output to an input on the reciever. Would this work without another analogue to digital conversion as well?

No. The purpose of a digital receiver is to convert it from digital to analogue through use of it's own DAC. Why would it first convert it to digital only to convert it back again? A signal once analogue will stay that way in the receiver.

If you're planning to get a seperate DAC lateron, why not just buy a good stereo amp now, then a DAC at a later time?

Jun 26, 2006 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Hey guys, I may be interested in speakers in the future. My second pair of interconnects is coming today, and I plan to have my headphone amp on the tape output of my vintage marantz 2216b, and then my computer, xbox 360, and CDP on analogue inputs. This should work, and they will all output to my headphone amp. Now, in the future if I decide to get an reciever, I plan to do the same thing, plug all my sources into the inputs of the reciever, speakers into the speaker jacks, and my headphone amp on an output (tape output I guess so all inputs can output to it like I have now, if that's possible.)

Lastly, is what I'm trying to achieve best done with some sort of audio switch? I'de like to avoid that, but if that's the best way, I can deal with that too.

So to clarify:

Tape output : headphone amplifier
various audio inputs : xbox 360, cdp, sateille radio, etc
all inputs outputted to headphone amplifier, with a digital reciever does the analogue signal get re-converted back to digital and then to analogue? And is what I'm trying to achieve possible?

Also, I have been looking at the nad c720bee (although this is way too far in advance), does it have a tape output or something that I can hook the headphone amp up to and have everything output to? If I get speakers, would an intergrated amplifier be a better situation, if so, are there any good cheaply priced nads out there? And could these do the same thing as what I'm trying to do? Would that be a better option, and then later buying a tuner incase I really care about radio? What would I do for a phono preamp? If I got a reciever, I would use the phono preamp on it.)

First off why would you need a switch? That's what you're using the amp for. If you're running a headphone amp out of a tape out, you're bypassing the receivers/amplifiers amp, if you intend to use it as a pre-amp you need to run it out of the pre-out.

Second off, why would a receiver convert analogue signal in to digital then back to analog? I don't even know of any receivers that come with ADCs, which are mostly used to convert phonograph output into digital signal, the only ones I've seen are from Wadia.

Third, whether you want a receiver or amplifier is completely based on your preferences. If you only intend to use stereo then an integrated or power/pre combo will be fine. If you intend to hook-up a 5.1/6.1/7.1 set-up and enjoy a higher version of that Dolby Digital surround poo (
smily_headphones1.gif
) that you do now, a receiver is your best choice.

Fourth off, if you get into NAD, which I assume you intend to do judging by the pm you sent me, and go giggly over it like you do with the X-fi I will jump off a building, seriously I will.

And lastly judging by your love of the Logitech Z5500, I think a set-up like thise would be your best bet: Super High-Quality Audio
very_evil_smiley.gif
, look it even got great reviews on it like the Logitech:

Great System
Reviewer: BLaShele from Maryland on Tue Aug 02 12:57:47 EDT 2005
84 out of 99 found this review helpful

This system puts out a lot of sound and it plays everything!! MP3's, DVD's, CD's........ and the list goes on. I was very impressed!

Love it!
Reviewer: toniG from palmdale, ca. on Tue Nov 08 01:30:02 EST 2005
13 out of 13 found this review helpful

I can't believe how easy it was to connect to my TV and satelitte box! Great sound for my bedroom, and at a great price!

LOVE IT....
Reviewer: pInKS from Long Island, NY on Mon Feb 06 14:20:11 EST 2006
8 out of 8 found this review helpful

sounds great in a small room. good surround and bass. plays everything and fits the budget....PERFECT!!!!

WOW!!! What a deal!!

Jun 26, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
First off why would you need a switch? That's what you're using the amp for. If you're running a headphone amp out of a tape out, you're bypassing the receivers/amplifiers amp, if you intend to use it as a pre-amp you need to run it out of the pre-out.

Second off, why would a receiver convert analogue signal in to digital then back to analog? I don't even know of any receivers that come with ADCs, which are mostly used to convert phonograph output into digital signal, the only ones I've seen are from Wadia.

Third, whether you want a receiver or amplifier is completely based on your preferences. If you only intend to use stereo then an integrated or power/pre combo will be fine. If you intend to hook-up a 5.1/6.1/7.1 set-up and enjoy a higher version of that Dolby Digital surround poo (
smily_headphones1.gif
) that you do now, a receiver is your best choice.

Fourth off, if you get into NAD, which I assume you intend to do judging by the pm you sent me, and go giggly over it like you do with the X-fi I will jump off a building, seriously I will.

And lastly judging by your love of the Logitech Z5500, I think a set-up like thise would be your best bet: Super High-Quality Audio
very_evil_smiley.gif
, look it even got great reviews on it like the Logitech:

Great System
Reviewer: BLaShele from Maryland on Tue Aug 02 12:57:47 EDT 2005
84 out of 99 found this review helpful

This system puts out a lot of sound and it plays everything!! MP3's, DVD's, CD's........ and the list goes on. I was very impressed!

Love it!
Reviewer: toniG from palmdale, ca. on Tue Nov 08 01:30:02 EST 2005
13 out of 13 found this review helpful

I can't believe how easy it was to connect to my TV and satelitte box! Great sound for my bedroom, and at a great price!

LOVE IT....
Reviewer: pInKS from Long Island, NY on Mon Feb 06 14:20:11 EST 2006
8 out of 8 found this review helpful

sounds great in a small room. good surround and bass. plays everything and fits the budget....PERFECT!!!!

WOW!!! What a deal!!

Heh, I'm not in the love with the 5500's, I just began using them again, very boomy, can't compare to the hd600's, but I still don't think they are bad for a newbie looking for a cheap set of speakers for gaming.

I don't need 5.1, so an amp will most likely do. I want to know, do the nads intergrated amps like the model you have have phono inputs? I will have a turntable soon, and I will need phono inputs, which is the only reason I'm even considering a reciever still.

Jun 26, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Heh, I'm not in the love with the 5500's, I just began using them again, very boomy, can't compare to the hd600's, but I still don't think they are bad for a newbie looking for a cheap set of speakers for gaming.

I don't need 5.1, so an amp will most likely do. I want to know, do the nads intergrated amps like the model you have have phono inputs? I will have a turntable soon, and I will need phono inputs, which is the only reason I'm even considering a reciever still.

Get a seperate phono stage.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889

My TACT TCS MKII pre/pro and my RCS 2.2XP convert analog to digital. They do so in order to apply dynamic rom correction at the digital level.

Jun 26, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind
No. The purpose of a digital receiver is to convert it from digital to analogue through use of it's own DAC. Why would it first convert it to digital only to convert it back again? A signal once analogue will stay that way in the receiver.

Actually, most current receivers do convert in order to do bass management or other DSP functions on the signal. So yes, they do ADC/DAC to analog signals.

Jun 27, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy
Actually, most current receivers do convert in order to do bass management or other DSP functions on the signal. So yes, they do ADC/DAC to analog signals.

Thanks, that's what I figured. An intergrated amp would do me well, yes? Considering I am planning to get a dac in the future (storm digital probably which will have 4 digital inputs), I should be fine with an amp with enough inputs and a phono stage of some sort (or I'll get something seperate.) If I am only planning to use stereo, and I plan to get a dac, it'de be best to get a intergrated amp, phono preamp, and tuner if I want radio? Prices would probably be similar depending on what level of intergrated amp I get and what type of phono preamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back