Reciever = better sound?
Mar 18, 2003 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

C4 Suke

New Head-Fier
Hi, if I was to connect my computer to a Pioneer reciever via s/pdif, and connect my headphones to the reciever, would it in anyway make the sound better, like through amplification from the reciever or something? I am going to try to borrow my friends reciever for a day or two if it will make any difference, just to test it and all.

Thanks, Suke

Mar 18, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 7
If the reciever has a descent headphone jack, and the cable is descent, you might find an improvment. If not your just going to be further degrading the signal path.

Which headphones/soundcard/reciever is it you use?

Maybe someone is familiar with your particular setup.

Mar 18, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 7
What do you guys think of the Onkyo TX-SVS15 PROII receivers for sound quality? from both the headphone jack and from the stereo amp?

Mar 18, 2003 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 7
I am using sonyh mdr-cd180s (I know I know, they suck, I will be getting better ones hopefully), turtle beach santa cruz sound card, and vsx-d411 pioneer reciever.

Mar 18, 2003 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 7
Though I can't speek definitivly about the turtle beach, I know it's a popular choice around here, which leads me to believe it's jack is pretty descent. Rather then buying the reciever (it was a bit unclear if you already own it or not, as you said borrow a friends), the money might be better re-allocated towards a better set of headphones. The V-6's for example seem to be universally liked for computer phones.

Mar 19, 2003 at 6:49 AM Post #6 of 7
True if I had the money I would buy better headphones, but for now I just asked because I had the opportunity to borrow it and was wondering if it would do anything really. But the SC does seem popular, maybe its jack is already good enough.

Suke

Mar 19, 2003 at 7:08 AM Post #7 of 7
Good enough for those particular phones, though once you decide to upgrade (and spending time here you will), a dedicated headamp or preamp/reciever with a good jack will be a necessity. Let me know how the Pioneer sounds, maybe it will do something with the sound that compliments those phones well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back