Recharging advice / best practice?
Dec 24, 2015 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

pete99

Head-Fier
Hi,

OK, I love my DX80, I really do, and I want the very best for it!

The manual says you can charge with any USB charger with 5v/>1A or via a computer USB socket.

According to http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_charge_when_to_charge_table you should avoid fast charging and also trickle charging once the battery is full.

So the question is: is it better to use (any?) suitably-rated smart-charger, a lower rated but >1A smart-charger, or the computer for recharging?  As the computer takes longer it must be kinder to the battery, yes?  And does the DX80 itself control the charging - i.e. switches off trickling whilst still connected to the recharge source?

Yeah, I know it's anal but I just want to know! 
biggrin.gif

TIA and Happy Christmas!

Pete

Dec 24, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #2 of 3
Generally, I will use 5V -2A charger for my audio players, because as you've already pointed out most players internal battery circuit will only draw the amperage required, by using a 2A charger I'm completely covered if something wants a little more amps.

Regarding your question about fast charging and slow charging I have always used (with all my players including DX80) the normal wall charger method as listed above (5V -2A), and never had a problem with batteries failing or deteriorating.

As a general rule I let my devices drop to around 20% then charge back up to 100%. lithium batteries like to keep moving, they actually enjoy it, so providing you exercise the battery normally everything will be fine for many years/charges

Probably the worst things you can do is:

Leave the battery sitting at 100% in storage for a long time
Leave the battery completely flat in storage for a long time

If you're going to store your battery for an extended time give it some charge between 40% - 80% then let it sit anywhere around those levels. If you're not using your battery for over 2 weeks plug it in for 20 - 30 minutes (remember above how we said they like to keep moving)

They're the general rules (IMO) I follow and never have a problem so far.

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 3
  Generally, I will use 5V -2A charger for my audio players, because as you've already pointed out most players internal battery circuit will only draw the amperage required, by using a 2A charger I'm completely covered if something wants a little more amps.

Regarding your question about fast charging and slow charging I have always used (with all my players including DX80) the normal wall charger method as listed above (5V -2A), and never had a problem with batteries failing or deteriorating.

As a general rule I let my devices drop to around 20% then charge back up to 100%. lithium batteries like to keep moving, they actually enjoy it, so providing you exercise the battery normally everything will be fine for many years/charges

Probably the worst things you can do is:

Leave the battery sitting at 100% in storage for a long time
Leave the battery completely flat in storage for a long time

If you're going to store your battery for an extended time give it some charge between 40% - 80% then let it sit anywhere around those levels. If you're not using your battery for over 2 weeks plug it in for 20 - 30 minutes (remember above how we said they like to keep moving)

They're the general rules (IMO) I follow and never have a problem so far.

OK, thanks for taking the trouble to reply!

All the best,

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back